Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • HELP! Should I keep eggs and tomatoes in or out of the fridge?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Your comments and theories much welcome!

donsimon
    Free Member

Outside the fridge, but on hot days putting your plums in the fridge is considered good form and quite healthy.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tomatoes out for sure. Eggs – in the cool is recomended iirc

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Eggs out, Tomatoes, depends on whether you want them to ripen a bit more, or not

sc-xc

Eggs in the cupboard, vine tomatoes on the side…I keep the little cherry ones in the fridge.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Eggs out. Tommies in.

maccruiskeen

Toms don’t taste of much when they’re cold. Its only salad leaves that benefit from being refrigerated, other fruit and veg lasts better at room temp. As demonstrated in the isles of your local supermarket.

Eggs are always displayed at room temp but the box usually tells you refrigerate them after purchase. Never understood why that is though

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Eggs in, you can usualy get away with them* quite a way beyond the use by date if kept in the fridge.

*your gut may not agree, I don’t recomend trying it, etc etc

Tomatoes in, but as with most things let them warm to room temp before eating if eating them raw.

D0NK

eggs out – definitley
    tommies in – if you want.

Tomatoes in, but as with most things let them warm to room temp before eating if eating them raw.

Eh whats the reasoning behind that?

sweepy
    Free Member

I used to work for an egg wholesaler, they weren’t refrigerated at any point between the hen and the shelf.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My mum used to leave eggs in the cupboard all the time. Only used for frying, scrambling, omletting before the bb date. She wouldn’t bake with them until they’d gone beyond the bb date. 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

🙄

My job can’t be so boring that I’m having to read this thread.

Are people really offering advice on how to eat fruit?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Eggs are always displayed at room temp but the box usually tells you refrigerate them after purchase. Never understood why that is though

If you leave eggs in a warm environment for too long this might happen :

derek_starship
    Free Member

ernie – the eggs we eat are unfertilised so that ^ is unlikely.

And if eggs should be out, why do fridges have these:

Drac

Its only salad leaves that benefit from being refrigerated, other fruit and veg lasts better at room temp. As demonstrated in the isles of your local supermarket.

So why is all the salad stuff kept in the same aisle at Supermarkets? I’ve never seen an refrigerated salad leaves in a supermarket.

Drac

And if eggs should be out, why do fridges have these

For tomatoes.

derp
    Free Member

Are people really offering advice on how to eat fruit?

Are eggs fruit?

And if eggs should be out, why do fridges have these

For Creme and Kinder eggs.

Drac

I’ve no idea why he’s asking about fruit either, Derek hasn’t.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Are eggs fruit?

Tomatoes in, but as with most things let them warm to room temp before eating if eating them raw

Drac

Are you suggesting tomatoes are a fruit Yeti?

scaredypants

on hot days putting your plums in the fridge is considered good form and quite healthy.

Dutty Spaniards !
    Besides, must smart a bit when you shut the door 😯

stumpy01

Chuck them in a frying pan & make an omlette! Quandry solved.

derp
    Free Member

I am confused. Are eggs fruit or not? Chicken fruit?

….and why has a ninja stolen a +?

Edit: …and now the edit ninja has stolen an idiot.

Very strange.

sweepy
    Free Member

I think tomatoes are a fruit aren’t they?

Drac

I think tomatoes are a fruit aren’t they?

No.

woody2000

Tomatoes are a fruit. If it has seeds in it, it’s fruit. Katy on I Can Cook said so, it must be true.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Are tom’s a veg then? Either, or doesn’t matter to me… I can’t believe someone is saying that as with most things they should be allowed to warm to room temp before consumption..

Maybe it’s just the I’m effing tired today.

I’m glad you saw it but the edit is sort of an apology. I got a ban the last time I called someone an idiot… If I’m spending some time on the naughty step I hope it’s for something a lot better than that.

Drac

Tomatoes are a fruit. If it has seeds in it, it’s fruit. Katy on I Can Cook said so, it must be true.

It’s a berry.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

FFS.. Drac can I borrow your video of Stuie shooting himself in the face?

Moe

My dad used to call eggs ‘chicken fruit’ when I were a young’un, thanks for the memory, made me smile!

gonefishin
    Free Member

Eh whats the reasoning behind that?

You’ll be able to taste them, cold kills flavour.

Oh and tomatoes are fruit.

Moe

Both out the fridge and toms are fruit! …… btw

TooTall
    Free Member

So – if it isn’t in a chiller on the shelf, it doesn’t need chilling to last longer?

As ever, the STW logic is a thing of wonder. All that fruit and veg was chilled from picking to the shelf – pretty much all the way. If the shelf isn’t chilled (and most are in supermarkets), then they expect you to buy it within a small window in which it won’t spoil enough to cause problems.

Drac

FFS.. Drac can I borrow your video of Stuie shooting himself in the face?

Feel free. Sorry I’ve awoke from a kip before nights so bored.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Out

woody2000

Drac – I like to split hairs as much as the next STWer, but surely a berry is a fruit, and if a tomato is a berry then it’s a fruit.

Non?

🙂

woody2000

Oh, and…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

😆

derek_starship
    Free Member

But a coffee bean is a berry and peanuts grow underground so we collectively know zip!!

Drac

Drac – I like to split hairs as much as the next STWer, but surely a berry is a fruit, and if a tomato is a berry then it’s a fruit.

Well yes they are part of the fruit of course but still they’re still berries. Like I say I was bored.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘HELP! Should I keep eggs and tomatoes in or out of the fridge?’ is closed to new replies.