Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help setting Tubless tyres up for the first time.
  • applesandoranges
    Free Member

Just had my first ever attempt of trying to set my supposedly tubless ready wheels up and failed Miserably.

I could not get my Maxxis High Rolleler seated after trying for a good half hour. To eliminate issues i had a good look at the rim which i should of done first but figured newish tubless ready rim should be fine.

When i looked i notice. My rim tape is all over the place. On the front theres about 7 spoke holes exposed and the rear wheel tape is wonky and not straight.i take it this is why my tyres not seating?

Is there a simple solution to sort the rim tape out gorilla tape maybe? Will using a used set of tubeless tyres to run on tubeless be okay?

Thanks any advice appreciated.

tillydog
    Free Member

It sounds like you just have a standard rim tape, rather than tubeless. A wrap of Gorilla tape, etc. will sort it – make sure it goes the full width of the rim.

Used tyres may already have holes in them which may or may not seal, but it shouldn’t stop them seating.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

sounds like you just have a standard rim tape, rather than tubeless.

I think that to, but the wheels are supposedly tubless ready so i dont understand how it is standard rim tape. But if im not mistaken tubless tape is thicker and mine is thin.

Thanks ill pick some up from tescos 🙂 perfect timing reply actualy thanks

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Is their a a Pacific thickness of gorilla tape to get, never thought about that? Erm my tyre is a 2.3 if of any help

rs
    Free Member

are you saying the bead won’t even pop onto the rim? is the tire brand new? inflate it with a tube first to at least get one side seated, then lots of soapy water.

jekkyl

No not thickness but width? yes! it comes in 2 sizes and it will fit some rims exactly but even if it doesn’t not to worry just go round twice or even 3 times.
    Some people (myself included) put a wrap of electrical tape round first so that you can pull the gorilla tape off without leaving a gunky mess on the rim.

tillydog
    Free Member

tubless ready

means they probably need tape (i.e. rims which it is possible to set up tubeless with the correct tape, valves, tyres, etc.).

Some people … put a wrap of electrical tape round first so that you can pull the gorilla tape off without leaving a gunky mess on the rim.

I leave the normal rim tape in position which would achieve the same result, but the waterproof duct tape that I’m using currently doesn’t leave much of a residue.

If the rims are less than roughly 21 mm wide, then the 25mm tape will probably be OK. Any wider, and you’ll probably need wider (50mm) tape and slit the roll down (or put several wraps of narrower tape on, as above, but I prefer keep the ways that the sealant can get under the tape to a minimum – YMMV).

I try and get the width of the tape such that when it’s stretched tightly into the rim bed, there’s just enough to turn up at the side of the rim (only a mm, or less) – that way, the tyre bead can seal directly on the tape and also hold the tape down.

It doesn’t have to be Gorilla tape. Clear waterproof tape works, as does waterproof duct tape (which is what I’ve used most recently).

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Tilly thanks for your help the gorilla tape size you mentioned i got and first perfectly.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

if it doesn’t not to worry just go round twice or even 3 times

Thanks mate, i took your advice went around 3 times and literally before i pumped up did one pump with one hand to test pump connected and up she goes without any resistance what so ever. Thanks a lot single track to the rescue as per usual.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Thanks all ive sorted it front one is fine and its qjite therapeutic watching my old tyres being repaired by the sealent to a newbie of tubless. Its amazing how many holes gets in a tyre.

Anyway unfortunately my rear one has a crack in it (if that’s the word) sealent just couldn’t fight it.

Can it be repaired with a tubless repair kit or do these not last long and a temp fix?

Be a shame to throw away a good tyre but no way am i going back to tubes now.

shindiggy
    Free Member

You could always try patching the tyre from the inside.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

You could always try patching the tyre from the inside.

Do you think it would last long term, my tyre is actually in good condition for its age so will last a while yet or should i buy a new one?

ferrals
    Free Member

I have patched tyres using a normal puncture repair patch and it’s lasted over a year.

Top tip I realised yesterday, when changing tyres, pay attention to the temperature of the rim. Early morning the rim is cold, shrinks and he tolerance is so tight the tyres wont inflate

nickfrog
    Free Member

I find Gorilla tape quite poor and expensive compared to TESA 4289.
    Particularly if you have to change it and get rid of the residue, what a faff.

drain

Agree with ferrals’ observation, tend to bring my wheels and tyres indoors to warm up in winter, or leave in the sun in the summer before trying. Seems to help me anyway (and more pleasant!).

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Top tip I realised yesterday, when changing tyres, pay attention to the temperature of the rim. Early morning the rim is cold, shrinks and he tolerance is so tight the tyres wont inflate.

You learn something new every thread on here , thanks ill keep that in mind.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help setting Tubless tyres up for the first time.’ is closed to new replies.