Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help… Seized bearing
  • Rivett
    Free Member

I’m in the middle of swapping the pivot bearings on my Heckler. A job I have done before, however the drive side one is seized in and has now come apart. Middle and ball bearings coming out leaving the outer stuck in the frame.

Any ideas for getting it out?

greeble
    Free Member

had this on an old frame

dremel and a Tungsten bit very carefully cut the race out
    http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=9901

can you drift the race out or is there a lip so you can get no room to drift it out?

euain

I’ve been lucky when that’s happened in the past that I had a socket that was just the right size to catch on the remaining outer race of the bearing and push it out. There was only about 0.5mm standing proud of the frame (it was a Stumpjumper though, not a Heckler). Worth a try.

Otherwise, heat the metal around the bearing.. (boiling water temps) – and try to tap the bearing out with a small punch/drift and a hammer. The heat should make it pretty loose.

These both depend on you having good access to the bearing though!

You can get tools that open into the outer race and pull the bearing out – but I think they’re expensive enough that the better option is take the bits to an engineer.

Good luck – it’s one of these jobs that should be a few minutes and can suddenly become an all-weekender.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

If you can’t get a punch on the back you need a blind bearing puller.

Prob A big one, normally comes in a kit, not cheap.
    http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht252-5-pce-blind-bearing-puller-set

I would say not many bike shops would have one, a car garage might.

If your in Wiltshire I have/prob got one that fit.

extremo
    Free Member

if your anywhere near Stoke pop into BETD they can get it out

Rivett
    Free Member

Cheers for all the tips everyone. Have tried penetrating oil. There is a small lip you can get on but not straight on. Will try warming it up and perhaps cutting an old Allen key down to get on it. Might also try repacking the ball bearings and tapping the centre back in.

Glad it’s not a carbon frame!

jock-muttley

Make your own bearing puller…

Threaded bar and nuts and washers of appropriate size simply tighten and out she will pop.

Hot water & WD40 all help too…

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Can sometimes use a Concrete Fixing expanding bolt,if you can find one the correct size.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I quite like the die grinder and nice sharp bit approach just be carful

Rivett
    Free Member

Sorted.
    Cut down a 3/16 Allen key at an angle to get on the small lip of the bearing left exposed. Used a hammer to work round tapping and out she popped.
    I had also cut into it with an old worn down cutting disk. Not sure if this had weakened it at all.

Just the simple job of pressing in the new bearings that have been in the freezer for two days!

Rivett
    Free Member

One other thing, swapped from using a plastic faced mallet to a ball pein hammer. The greater shock might have helped.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help… Seized bearing’ is closed to new replies.