Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Help! save a DVD onto a memory stick (dvd folder says 'audio_ts and video_ts')
  • hora
    Free Member

Trying to save cartoons/etc etc to memory stick so we can play them back through a Samsung Tab 3 on a long journey.

However – insert DVD into PC drive (think its a Windows XP dell). and open the DVD folder: two seperate folders of audio_ts and video_ts.

Do I need some sort of file convertor downloaded so that my PC can recognise the fragmented files? How?

Then its a case of click and drag into the memory stick folder?

soma_rich
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/3x88zvcF19o[/video]

woody2000

Like somarich says, Handbrake is what you need. I occasionally find I need to convert the DVD into a MKV file first, then run HB on it. MakeMKV is a handy tool and easy to use.

Using HB and the like means you end up with a file in a “container” format, all the audio and video combined into one (much smaller) file. Lots of movies on one stick = happy miniHora 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

Handbrake as above.

stumpy01

+1 Handbrake. You can’t just copy dump all the files onto a memory stick (unfortunately).

woody2000

VLC can play from video_ts folders, but you’d only end up with about 2 or 3 films on a stick

slowoldman

Yes to VLC but bigger yes to Handbrake and save as mp4.

Cougar

Yeah. The files you’re seeing are what make up the DVD content, but they’re intended to be read by a DVD player not a PC. Think about it, you’ve not just got a film on there, you’ve got all the menus, subtitles, alternative audio streams for different languages / audio formats…

You’ll need a converter to make sense of the disc and extract what you want. As others have said, Handbrake is the way to go here.

Worth noting also is that most commercial DVDs will be copy protected, so you’ll need an app or plugin to get past that. I used to used a thing called DVD43 when I was making my personal backups forever ago, but it’s so long since I last did it that I don’t know what’s best practice these days.

mefty
    Free Member

Disney films can be tricky using handbrake, I ended up buying WinX DVD ripper which manages to get round the copy protection.

iolo
    Free Member

Use a usb external drive to rip them.
    For some reason that seems to bypas a lot of the anti piracy stuff (it did for me when I was doing the same as op)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

SlySoft AnyDVD

It ‘aint free, but it works well to enable you to rip copy-protected DVDs.

hora
    Free Member

Like one of these? http://www.tesco.com/direct/toshiba-500gb-usb-30-external-hard-drive/498-4896.prd

will have a go at handbrake etc first though this aft 😀

hora
    Free Member

Ha- does it need its own power source or does it use the tablet’s etc?

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above, certain players can handle that (I believe the PC based one that comes with windows can). The advantage of handbrake is that it not only creates a single file but compresses it too. For example it’s not uncommon for a dad rip to be 8GB but post handbrake an HD quality file to be 1GB

Hora save your £30 handbrake is free

iolo
    Free Member

Plug it into the computer, rip your dvd’s using handbreak and copy onto usb. It doesn’t need a power source.
    It was a few years ago when I did this so have no idea if piracy stuff has moved on mind.
    I have no idea if it works directly with the tablet.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I just use “Make MKV“, its way simpler and far quicker than handbrake. Files are larger but I just buy more memory

We’ve just done a pile for a long flight we have planned soon.

Mrs coolhandluke has then handbraked some to make them smaller, I just bought myself more sticks.

nemesis
    Free Member

Get you with your memory to spare la de dah!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

What are these “memory sticks” of which you speak? 😉

DVD –> Handbrake –> iTunes –> iPad. Works a treat for me and no memory sticks to lose. I must confess I don’t tend to buy DVDs any more though, since it’s all a lot more of a faff than just downloading from day one.

hora
    Free Member

Ok so I’ve MarkMKV’d the DVD (selected the longest with most tracks option) and saved it to my desktop but its come up as: .mkv. Will this be ok to drag to the stick now? Will it still play with this .mkv file name?

Cougar

In the time it took to ask you could’ve tried it and found out. (-:

It’ll depend on what your playback app supports. I’m pretty sure that MX Player (my video player of choice) will play .MKV files, I can’t offhand think of anything it hasn’t played.

How big is the file? Over 2Gb and it might cause you issues copying to a pendrive.

woody2000

the .mkv file will still be large Hora, run HB on it now to convert it to .mp4. Save a ton of space with minimal loss of quality (especially if you’re viewing on a tablet)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Dunno – try it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

It’s effectively a bundle of different files, so depending on the way you did it you may have the subtitles and other things intact.

I think you might be better off using Handbrake to turn the file into an x264 rip. That would only have the film, not the extra bits.

But just try it – see what works best for you!

hora
    Free Member

Its all new to me- I can’t seem to find the right version of HB to download. My PC is a Windows XP professional version 2002 but on downloading HB says it cant load before 9.9?!

woody2000

You might be stuffed if you’re on XP, Vista onwards I think

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Windows XP? WTAF man?!!

Jees, at least do yourself a flavour and dual-boot with Mint or Ubuntu.

Handbrake runs on Linux.

woody2000

Actually, look here:

https://handbrake.fr/old.php

Try:

HandBrake-0.9.9-1_i686-Win_GUI.exe

Pook

Hahahahahaha! Welcome to the world of pissing about with video files hora. Perhaps now you understand a little more

hora
    Free Member

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Jesus.

Anything useful to add?

fasthaggis

Rarely 😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

The pic does at least help to explain what is going on when the spammer gets deleted.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh, I missed the other one did I?

*puts flamethrower away*

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Help! save a DVD onto a memory stick (dvd folder says 'audio_ts and video_ts')’ is closed to new replies.