Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help – sand in my camera lens
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Samsung nx3000
    Sand in the zoom lens
    Won’t focus
    Clunks on turning on
    Gives an error message and freezes
    Any ideas? Is it fubar? What lenses will fit if it’s had it?
    Thanks in advance

ferrals
    Free Member

I have extended to full zoom and use one of those air spray cans in the past when lens has got a touch clunky.. but its always been able to focus. Also a lens wipe opened out and inserted into the crevice between the extneding part when on full extension has got sand out.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’ve read a number of possible remedies for gritty zooms, ie

– turning it lens face down on a table and turning on using slight pressure to resist and reseat the lens as it tries to extend. Likewise pulling it gently when at full extension [/finbarr]

– extending lens and sliding a paper-sheet corner around in where the lens-tube enters the camera body

– putting vacuum-cleaner tube over lens assembly and sucking out the crap

Can’t personally recommend any of these. Sold camera for spares in the end. Good luck tho.

5thElefant
    Free Member

As it’s an interchangeable lens you’ve got nothing to lose. Have a go at taking it apart.

rossburton
    Free Member

lol don’t take a lens apart unless you’re *very* careful, they’ll most likely be tiny stacks of shims to get the focus right and you’ll knacker the lens.

Your local camera shop can probably repair the lens, or recommend someone who can. It’s “just” a matter of taking it apart, cleaning, and putting together. https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/02/lens-teardown-of-the-complicated-sony-fe-70-200mm-f2-8-gm-oss-part-1/ is part one of a lens teardown…

As to replacement lenses, it’s a Samsung NX mount and there don’t appear to be a lot of options to be honest.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve done 3 so far. It’s not difficult.

redstripe
    Free Member

Just did similar but different stuff, (removable) lens with spilt liquid that got on the inside. After seeing replacement lens prices, looked on youtube how to get it apart and clean out. Scalpel, tweezers, mini screwdriver, airgun, cleaning fluid, patience etc and job done in about 15 minutes. As above, you have nothing to lose really.

iamanobody
    Free Member

Update
    Followed a YouTube video to take it apart – partly worked but not a gear video
    Put back together in the (I think) correct order
    Now far worse than it was

P-Jay
    Free Member

Oops.

Get a expert in, or replace.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Too cheap to pay someone to repair. Keep an eye on ebay.

Edit: they seem to go for £50-£150. Having a body included doesn’t seem to increase the price.

iamanobody
    Free Member

What other lenses can I use? Can I get done kind of adapter? Sorry I’m clueless on this

CraigW
    Free Member

There are some cheap adapters to use Canon or Nikon lens etc. eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Store-CameraPlus-Lens-Mount-Adapter-Canon-EF-lens-on-Samsung-NX-mount/252323481123
    But they won’t work with autofocus, and you will probably have to set the aperture on the lens. And the lens will be quite bulky/heavy etc. So not sure if it is worth it, unless you already have some old lenses.

iamanobody
    Free Member

Bump

withersea
    Free Member

What lens did you kill? I may have a Samsung NX lens not being used in the house (somewhere)

withersea
    Free Member

Blimey world record for me finding something that I thought I’d lost. It’s a black Samsung 20-50 F3.5-5.6 mk 2 lens.

My mail as per profile if you are interested and i’ll work out a STW price for you.

iamanobody
    Free Member

Withersea emailed you mate

iamanobody
    Free Member

Lens received in the post – fitted and great – THANK You 🙂

iamanobody
    Free Member

are the screw in x2 telephoto extender things worth buying?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help – sand in my camera lens’ is closed to new replies.