Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • help, routes for a week on Skye?
  • johnduke
    Free Member

Hi, I'm planning a weeks riding on Skye in a couple of weeks time. Can anyone recommend some good routes? I'm open to anything, short blasts, all dayers, multiple day bivi rides, or even a hike if I get bored of pedalling.

Is there a good book with a few routes in it? the only ones I can find seem to be general highlands ones which usually feature one route on Skye if that. I'll be using OS maps of course but it'd be nice to have some routes marked out in a book/website to work from.

I know there have been a couple of threads on this but they're not bursting with info. The Sligachan loop (which seems to split opinion) and the Quiraing area seem to be favourites, can anybody point me to a good map/description of these?

Also, can anyone recommend a good campsite to base myself at?

Any other general tips or things to see?

ElShalimo

The Sligachan camp site next to Sligachan Inn is in a good central location

grumm
    Free Member

I don't think you will really find a week's worth of off road riding on Skye I'm afraid. Apart from the Quirang and Sligachan routes everything is either pretty boggy or unrideable ime. There is meant to to be some good stuff a short hop over in Raasay but I've not checked it out.

The campsite by the beach in Glen Brittle is in a lovely spot.

robgarrioch

Annoyingly, I keep putting this up on any Skye threads, hardly a long route but I think it deserves publicity + use.

Place to ride your bike if you're in Skye!

13thfloormonk

There is also some good riding between the Sligachan Campsite and Glen Brittle, skirting the slopes of Bruach na Frithe and taking you past the fairy pools. I've only walked half of it, but what i saw looked great.

johnduke
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, Glen Brittle looks very nice.

There's a chapter on Lock Coruisk in Robert Macfarlane's book The Wild Places which sounds an amazing place to walk to, has anyone done this?

johnduke
    Free Member

bumps. any more ideas?

user-removed
    Free Member

Ride report (bit light on details sorry) of the Fairy Pools route;

http://jamiethetog.blogspot.com/2009/09/another-skye-trip.html

Well worth it – no doubt at all, and the Forest of Brittle is good for a bit of fire road / singletrack riding.

NickScots
    Free Member

There was a ride way back in a mag that followed a cliff edge and was hard packed grass.

Think it was this one
    http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/rr051.html

Glen Brittle and Sligachan sites are very midge, even the showers, beware.

Nick

johnduke
    Free Member

thanks, they both look good

postierich
    Free Member

Slig Campsite!

Glen Brittle

Riding!

Rich

donald
    Free Member

Skye? In August?

Don't forget your body armour.

clareymorris

Rich, did you ride that route over from Glen Brittle to Slig past the fairy pools?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘help, routes for a week on Skye?’ is closed to new replies.