Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • help required with new double ring setup
  • Gooner
    Free Member

I am going to change the setup on my 2005 Heckler to make it mini d/h bike.

I am looking at buying a Shimano Saint Rear Mech to use on my 2005 Santa Cruz Heckler. I am also going to change the front ring setup to double rings (using a 22T inner ring and 36T mid/outer ring) using an e thirteen DRS chain device and bash so I have chosen a shimano saint short cage mech as i want a short cage one.
    I have Shimano XT gear shifters.
    I currently have a 9 speed Shimano XT 11 – 34T rear cassette but was thinking of changing it to a 9 speed Shimano XT 11 – 32T cassette

Will this rear mech work with this setup?

I noticed a comment in an advert for the saint rear mech;

"For double ring use with a total capacity of 31 tooth, or 37 tooth with mode converter in"

and i wasn't sure what it meant!
    Also would the e thirteen drs setup size "up to 36T" be big enough with a 36T ring or should it be a bit bigger than the largest ring

thanks

rubberneck
    Free Member

my 34t raceface bash ring is about 1mm over the various 36t rings ive used. i have had a fair few strikes on it with no probs so far, as for the rest of your Q's,,,,,,,,,,,, fuknose ?

stevede
    Free Member

Your e13 drs will be fine, it's up to and including a 36t middle ring.
    If your using your bike as a mini dh bike then i doubt you'll be in your 32t top gear anyway so wouldn't worry too much about the mech being suitable for that – it'll be fine on the rest of the spread just a bit stretched on the top one.
    Oh and as for the mode converter on the saint mech – christ knows what that means!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘help required with new double ring setup’ is closed to new replies.