Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help required, thick thin chainring advice
  • gooner69

Guys, im looking to find a way to run 1×10 on the other half`s marin bouncer without a chain guide. Currently using a cheese superstar guide and need something more reliable. The design of the frame doesn’t help, its this one http://www.marin.co.uk/2008/bikedetail.php?ModNo=3824.

Im thinking clutch mech and thick/thin, anybody able to advise?

Thanks in advance.

Northwind

I haven’t used that combo on a full suss, but it’s been absoulutely 100% on the hardtail- better than the MRP chain device and E13 Guidering it replaced. Chaingrowth could make things trickier- more chain slack essentially.

gooner69

Thanks NW, im hoping someone is running similar without any troubles. She doesn’t ride it too hard:)

b45her
    Free Member

got a raceface narrow wide ring on my strive and its keeping the chain on just fine.

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve read loads of reviews from, users, all positive. I’ll be going thick thin soon too.

patriotpro
    Free Member

What’s chain growth ?

Northwind

Chaingrowth- when a full suss moves in its travel and gets longer/shorter as a result. Got to set chain tension to suit, which means it’ll be slacker in some positions than others.

Don’t know if that’ll make a real difference though, haven’t tried. Just means I’m not happy saying it worked on my hardtail therefore it’ll work on your full suss, not exactly the same thing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The design of the frame doesn’t help, its this one http://www.marin.co.uk/2008/bikedetail.php?ModNo=3824.

The simple answer is to change the frame 🙂

kayak23

Can’t you use a BB-mounted chain guide?
    I used to use them a lot when I have frames without iscg mounts.

Mackem

I’ve got a Zee mech and Wolftooth ring. No dropped chain so far. (3 months use)

tonyd

Only been running it two weeks but I’ve also got a Wolftooth chainring and clutch mech, nothing dropped yet and it feels solid. I ride jheycore XC though.

Edit: On a full suss

ChrisI

Thick/thin and clutch mech will do it. I went the expensive way and did XX1 but no looking back now. I run no guide and no dropped chain in a good few hundred off road miles. With my old 2×9 and MRP guide I used to lose the chain fairly frequently, so happy to report thick/thing and clutch mech do definitely work.

j3ffo
    Free Member

I did the Trans Savoie race with a thick thin and clutch mech. (Got a few strange looks from fellow racers) Dropped the chain once on a farm track for no apparent reason.
    Rode the alps for another 2 weeks without dropping. Only time I have had an issue was in some deep sticky mud which seemed to be sticking between the links. Don’t know if a chain guide would have solved it or not? HTH

gooner69

Thanks peoples, anybody aware of any deals or quick source for chainrings?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help required, thick thin chainring advice’ is closed to new replies.