Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Help required – Looking at buying a '91 VW Camper
  • tyger
    Free Member

What to look for? Problems?

Many thanks

ahwiles
    Free Member

what to look for?

a toyota Hiace instead 🙂

Ringo
    Free Member

Cam belt replacement, usual areas of rust arches etc, what’s the engine and mileage?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nealglover
    Free Member

Depends on the specific model as to what you should look for really.
    Engine size/type particularly.

lasty
    Free Member

Justkampers would be a good place to ask for advice ??

Usual stuff really – i always take any vehicle im thinking of buying for an mot and go from there, as for the motor if youre not confidant assessing its health get a pro to give it the once over ..

pictonroad

A huge a far reaching question, check the buyers guide on The Brickyard and Club 80-90 if its a late T3 and the VWT4 site if its an early T4.

(No links, sorry, on the phone…)

andyrm
    Free Member

Check for rust, especially in hidden areas and hidden patchwork…

If it’s a T25 (Westfalia shape), then there are some engines better than others – the 1.9D is better than the 2.0D.

Dependent where you are, my mate has a camper restoration/hire/sales business in Brighton who could be a good sounding board.

🙂

pictonroad

The T3 (T25 above) didn’t come with either a 1.9 or 2.0 diesel. If it has a 1.9 it will have been fitted to the van, a 1Y non turbo, AAZ 1.9 turbo diesel or an 1.9 TDI, the fitting of which occupies entire forums on its own.

Highly advise you read the buyers guides, it’s a big topic… I’ve been into them for years and can help but would need to answer specific questions.

James

pictonroad

Ps, the business in Brighton, is that Ross?

MikeG

rust.

rust.

rust.

qwerty
    Free Member

T25 fuel tank is concave on top which leads to rusting and ultimately holes in the top of the fuel tank, expect a new tank in its history or be ready to DIY. I had a 2.1i lhd T25 and it drove nicely for a breeze block. Oh, and rust.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

If it’s a T25 / T3 (rear engine) then take a look here:

http://www.club80-90.co.uk/

If it is a T4 then check here:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/

I’ve got a ’96 1.9TD T4 – not the fastest van around but pretty reliable and generally a pretty solid van. If I remember correctly though the early T4 models only came with the non turbo 1.9D and 5 cyl 2.4D. Of the two the 1.9 is more reliable but woefully underpowered, the 2.4 a bit brisker but more difficult to work on. Don’t have any experience of the petrol engines though, sorry.

In terms of rust patches – as above check around wheel arches and sills but also around the fuel filler cap and around the window seals, particularly if it’s a non factory conversion.

Would also agree to check for timing belt replacement – the T4 should be every 4 years I believe. If no evidence budget to get this done sharpish.

tyger
    Free Member

Okay many thanks all – just got back and I can tell you more info:

Manual, Petrol, 137,000 miles 1991 HOLDSWORTH POP TOP 2 BERTH Volkswagen TYPE 25 underneath sprayed recently black, body complete respray looks good. No electric hookup, inside tidy, Hob and Grill, Sink and Drainer, Fridge, Wardrobe. 2 Berth – wanting £8000

piemonster

Sheeeesh they hold there value.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

£8,000 is a lot for a 22 year old vehicle, personaly I’d buy a later model Van and convert it. I did.

tyger
    Free Member

That is only the asking price

lasty
    Free Member

Sorry to disappoint you dales-chap but 8k is nothing these days ..
    Dubs are fetching ridiculous money and the T25s are getting their fair share of recent converts.
    Bought my T2 in 93, lived in it for a couple of years, Greece, Turkey etc and to me its priceless but realistically it would probably fetch 10k looking for someone buying into the life-style..
    Cost me under a grand – thats how silly its got !!

postierich
    Free Member

whats this buying into a lifestyle crap!

Gunz
    Free Member
    lasty
    Free Member

Nice one Gunz … 🙄

Of the VERY few vw events ive been to theres alus a cringworthy element, usually know all the facts and figures but asked to set the timing theyd head for the clock – closely followed by the chequebook.
    Personally id sooner sit in a field avec book and a bike ready for action – usually a secret spot in the dales.

Back to the OP >>> Best get someone in the know to have a gander if youre not 100% what to look for problem-wise as its been said before about different models having different issues .

Edric64
    Free Member

Why not buy a modern van that goes better, handles better, and does more to the gallon ? I dont get the fascination with old veedub vans

monsho
    Free Member

what engine is it – presume the 2.1 – they’re bloody thirsty, very smooth though. Its an absolute must that the coolant is changed every two years, the head bolts sit in the water jacket (?!?) so if the none corrosive coolant is old they will rot, then snap – look for any signs of weepage around the heads.

rust – they rust around arches, especially the panel joints – very hard to get rid of as it starts from the inside out, if its a fresh re-spray I’d be worried about what its covering up. Rear arms, rear valance, around fuel filler, around windscreen and steps are also bad for going.

I love my Westy, they’re very spacious inside compared to newer front engined ones and still a great drive (but then mines TDi’d)…

lasty
    Free Member

Thats the practical answer mr Edric …
    BUT
    No soul in the modern stuff – apart from that im not getting involved !!
    I bought a van to travel in because thats what i wanted to do, sold me house and spent 2 years living on beaches and havin a ball.
    Doubt you could do it now even if you wanted to …

pictonroad

8k is a hill of cash for a Holdsworth, it would have to be absolutely mint. There’s some nice Westfalia vans on Brickyard worth checking out. For that money if you’re not clued up on campers I’d get a T4.

tyger
    Free Member

Thanks chaps 🙂

skink2020

Tyger, i’ll let you have my 94 t4 2.5 petrol,trophy autosleeper with 52000 genuine miles for £6500.
    She needs some tlc.

lasty
    Free Member

^^^^ Gotta be worth a look ???

andyrm
    Free Member

Ps, the business in Brighton, is that Ross?

Yeah – top bloke, was at uni with him many, many years back and we ride quite a bit now. Damn good MTBer too, utterly fearless…….

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Suggest you may get some pretty straight answers whatever the model – T3/4/5 on here: Brick Yard there are sub forums for each and there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on there who will offer advice.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member

Why not buy a modern van that goes better, handles better, and does more to the gallon ? I dont get the fascination with old veedub vans

Yes thats what I thought, so a T5 was my choice, I want to be able to get where I want to in comfort. I didnt want to spend a lot of tome tinkering and trying to keep a vehicle running, that time is lost. So a modern vehicle capable of 100+ [Germany only of course] and 35+ mpg if I keep it to legal limits.

BillMC

I had a Type 2. Looked good but was full of rust repairs. The engine was under-powered and permanently under load with the conversion. Long and short of it was that it took every spare penny I had plus some. I wouldn’t dream of repeating the experience. On one occasion when it broke down I bought a tent and went off with two surfboards on top of the car wondering why I’d ever bothered. If you’re desperate for a van get a more recent non VW one and convert it.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

A blank canvas is always best 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Help required – Looking at buying a '91 VW Camper’ is closed to new replies.