Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help required – conversion to single ring
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

I have decided, as I like the simplicity, to put a single ring on my hardtail build. I have a few questions.
    I am on a budget so want to keep the current crank set that had a 3 ring on it, can I use this for a single ring or do I need to buy new?
    If I can use the existing crank then do i Need to be carefull which type of ring I buy, do they all have the same number of Bolts?
    Finally, it appears I need a chain guide rather than a front mech for a single ring, these appear to be very pricey, £25 and upwards. Any cheaper options?

Final question. Am I alone in having to hide a snigger each time I type/read “ring”?

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

You can use your existing cranks no drama, I’d reccomend changing to a single chainring without ramps though. I use a ngear jumpstop, as my only chain device, about a tenner. Nearly all 4 bolt rings should fit.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Is a chainring without ramps a single speed chainring?

kayak23

You can keep the current crank, run the single ring where the middle triple one was, perhaps use a bashguard on the outer tabs.

You need to match the holes of the chainring with what you have already. Most common is a 4-bolt 104mm bcd. You may have a 5-bolt. 4 or 5 bolt, then the standard will most likely be the same if you just buy a 4 or 5 hole ring.

I use a blackspire dh/singlespeed ring. Its tough and you don’t need the shifting ramps.

Cheapest chainguide is probably something like a Da-Bomb or a Superstar plasma. Don’t skimp too much, its a false economy. I use a Superstar plasma and it works fine. The one you get will depend on whether or not you have iscg tabs or need a bottom bracket mount.

Snigger? Yes, you are alone…

Garry_Lager

He’ll need shorter bolts will he not? On the triple the bolts screw through two rings normally – if you run one you have to get a shorter set. Costs nowt though.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Good call on the shorter bolts thank you.
    I will stop sniggering. Blackspire purchased.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help required – conversion to single ring’ is closed to new replies.