Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help required – 1×10 set-up, what do I need?
  • Spud

For my lad’s new bike. Needs to single ring up front as no cable guides, which is fine, he is used to that on his current bike. Wide-range cassette as it needs to be easy enough on hill for him.

So, I haven’t the foggiest when it comes to components, assume I need cassette, rear mech, chain ring and chain? Shifter of course.

Any thoughts, I’d like it to be straightforward with no bodging..

darrenspink
    Free Member

Any thoughts, I’d like it to be straightforward with no bodging..

Good luck with that. 😀

Have you done a google to see if anyone else has done the same with a similar bike? Biggest problem you may have is getting the chainline correct.

What crankset have you got?

Cassette: If you want the option to fit an expander in the future (40t/40t) then you need something like an XT 11-36 which allows for the 17t to be removed.

Rear mech: Something with a wide ratio, second hand SLX on ebay are cheap.

Chain ring: Narrow wide 30t or 32t – On-ones Ringmaster are damn good value for £20 or you could grab one from Superstar.

stevied
    Free Member

Wide range cassette might be worth looking at the Sunrace wide ratio ones. They do an 11-40 or 11-42 IIRC.

19ninety
    Free Member

Another vote for a SunRace wide range cassette, 11-40t or 11-42t

dday

Make sure your mech has a clutch.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Make sure your clutch also has a mech!!

Not seen those sunrace cassettes before, whats the wear rate like in comparison to shimano/sram?

honourablegeorge

If you’re buying all this kit new, I’d look closely at XT 11 soeed from the german sites.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help required – 1×10 set-up, what do I need?’ is closed to new replies.