Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • HELP! Removing truvativ outboard cranks!
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

Undoing the ‘self extracting’ crank bolts, they just came out! So there is no bolt inside and a traditional crank puller does not work. Any ideas how to get the cranks off before I get the hack saw out?

fadda

You did leave the larger, outer bolt in place, and just undid the inner bolt (8mm Allen key), didn’t you…? (sorry if that’s patronising, but I wondered what I was doing wrong at first!) 😳

Bagstard
    Free Member

fadda, in truth I have no idea what I did. I tried removing them last week, but only had a minute or so to do it. Not sure what went wrong, but there are currently no bolts or anything in the cranks.I’m happy to be patronised if I find a quick solution!

fadda

Okay, try putting both bolts back in, then just undo the inner one. This bears on the inner face of the outer bolt, and pulls the crank off the spline.

AFAIK, you never have to touch the outer (usually 10mm Allen key) bolt, you simply use the inner one for fitting and removal.

BoardinBob

What kind of truvativ cranks?

On my Hussefelt cranks, I use a normal crank puller and a 5p coin. Put that between the crank puller and the axle, screw the crank puller on then it’ll pull the cranks off.

Bagstard
    Free Member

They are truvativ gxp, I will try putting them back together, if that doesn’t work i will try the 5p trick, Cheers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘HELP! Removing truvativ outboard cranks!’ is closed to new replies.