Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help removing sram crankarm
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

Trying to remove this allen bolt but it just wont budge.. I believe counter-clockwise to remove this..actually tried both ways . Help

..it looks so easy when somebody do it in youtube 🙄

getonyourbike
    Free Member

It’s hammer time.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Seriously? I actually tried to put my weight on the allen key by stepping on it . Still failed

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Yeh, the shock often help. A reasonably heavy rubber mallet is what you want.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Was there a 10mm hex nut on the crank arm? If so that needs replacing, thden use the 8mm to remove the crank arm.
    Give it a generous dose of wd40, and once thsts had chancd to soak in a gentle persuade with a mallet.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You’re definately trying to turn the inner (small allen key) one rather than the outer (big allen hey) one?

Northwind

Longer bar- the nut is at a pretty respectable torque, 50nm if memory serves, so if by some miracle it’s been fitted for a while (ie the BB didn’t wear out the first time you rode it) it could take a fair effort to shift it. I go directly to my 2 foot bar for stuff like this…

wwaswas

I’d agree with using a longer lever (plus making sure you’re turning it the right way) – I’ve got a 2ft long torque wrench arm and it was still an effort to get the appropriate torque when doign my sram cranks up.

mega
    Free Member

I had to do the same recently and had similar issues

found a 30cm hollow bar which fitted snugly over my allen key and gave me the leverage needed to get it undone.

summary – MTFU 🙂

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Cheers guys will probably need more leverage. Believe it or not all this trouble just to fit properly a rear derailleur outer cable.. Somebody should fire whoever design cable routing for yeti such a muppet 😡

@mega .. Where can i get that 30cm hollowbar?

mega
    Free Member

I used an old bit of pipe which was lying around in the garage

sprayed a bit of wd40 an hour before trying but my cranks were old and manky – yours look quite new so you might not need that.

why do you have to take the crank arm off? Are you routing the cable under the crank or something? Isn’t it easier to undo one end of the cable?

mega
    Free Member

Oh – Hold on!

Are you sure you are supposed to be undoing non driveside? My cranks undid from drive side but it can vary depending on model.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Overhaul-a-BB30-Bottom-bracket-2012.html

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Because some genius in yeti thought its better idea to route and clip it behind the small chainring and into or inside the swingarm tube.. I dont know if i explain it very much.. Heres the pic.

On the driveside its hollow, nothing there i use a flashlight.. Its a sram gxp crank…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help removing sram crankarm’ is closed to new replies.