Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • HELP: Removing square taper bb's
  • timbur
    Free Member

The ones with plastic cups with flanges (titter) with 6 notches in them that someone else has tried to do and made the square shapes more rounded through using the wrong tools.

Anyone help?

Cheers

Tim

sobriety
    Free Member

Drift/centre punch and hammer?

timbur
    Free Member

Tried gently but it started damaging the cup and I wanted to source other solutions prior to going CAVEMAN on it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

if there is nothing left to grip a big pair of molgrips or stilsons might be your best chance.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Heat and cooling a few times bit of a soak with penetrating oil and patience.

Fluff66
    Free Member

Soak in lots of releasing/penetrating spray over several days

Then pipe freeze spray followed by hot water ( a few times)
    Disclaimer: freezing spray may crack your paintwork

Then more penetrating spray

Get a high quality tool (some of them are terrible) that fits properly Make sure it is one that will work with the flats of a large spanner (rather than a socket drive one) Reason for this follows….

Bolt the tool into the square taper (using a washer over the end of the end of tool) to stop tool jumping out of BB teeth (I do this as matter of routine now on square tapers)

Before you apply force, heat BB shell up with a blow torch
    Disclaimer: this will damage your paintwork

Give it some welly with your large adjustable spanner OR better …clamp the flats of the BB tool in a well mounted vice and turn the frame. Watch out for the vice breaking!

Before/in case you were going to consider it – do not use a hammer on adjustable spanner (the adjuster worm will break)

If all of this fails (ie the teeth strip) and you really really want to save the bike, then your last option will be to weld a socket to the BB and then use a long extension bar (worked for me after LBS broke 2 vices trying to get one out)

timbur
    Free Member

Fluff – nice idea but wrong type of BB!

Nice ideas the rest of you. Nothings working at present.

timbur
    Free Member
    wwaswas

drill a couple of holes in the face of it and put some self tapping screws in so you can then use a screwdriver/etc between the screws as a lever to undo the thing.

timbur
    Free Member

Luke. Now that’s a tip top idea mate.

You are one step ahead as always :O)

Cheers

Tim

Tiger6791

I’ve got the tool to do it, better than the park one, where are you?

You need one of these, holds firm by screwing into the BB where the crank bolt goes (can’t slip then)

timbur
    Free Member

Tiger – Lewes, East Sussex.

Now I bet you’re up North somewhere. Aberdeen or one of the islands off Scotland :O)

wwaswas

You are one step ahead as always

I did try and include the use of an inappropriate tool as a lever 😉

although having done this I’d probably spend an hour trying to turn it the wrong way…

timbur
    Free Member

Wales then looking at your profile. Not to worry. The BB needs to come out and jump straight in the bin so I’ll go and get the drill out.

Tiger6791

Near Heathrow, in fact just a bit south of Heathrow.

If it’s Campag and your passing happy to have a go

timbur
    Free Member

Thanks but it’s for a shitty bike and I’ll give Lukes idea a try.

Nice looking tool though. I might have to acquire one for the collection at some point when finances aren’t too stretched.

Tim

Fluff66
    Free Member

Timbur

Don’t see why it wouldn’t work with the Campy BB??? (Although obviously, you will have to loosen the bolt when/if it starts to move)

It’s not just an idea BTW. That’s what I’ve done previously to remove stuck BBs. If you take it to a (good) LBS, they will do exactly the same.

Good luck

PS – Some bike shops hate jobs like this – others seem to have a bit of a thing about them. LBS wouldn’t accept payment for trying to removing one of mine despite breaking 2 vices over a fortnight. I paid them with a crate of beer in the end 🙂

timbur
    Free Member

Fluff – I don’t doubt it but at present I don’t have the correct tool for the BB so am looking for a bodge to save spending £10 on a tool that I’m unlikely to use again. It it used a standard splinned BB removal tool then it would already be removed and in the bin :O)

epicyclo

You’re turning it the right way, I assume?

timbur
    Free Member

Thank you epicyclo. I’m not THAT stupid :O)

Just ordered the tool off eBay. I hope to have to use it again in the future but it’ll probably just hang on the tool wall gathering dust.

epicyclo

timbur – Member
    Thank you epicyclo. I’m not THAT stupid :O)…

I have been 🙂

(Bike upside down, brain in neutral)

Lifer
    Free Member

Strap wrench?

timbur
    Free Member

The correct tool for the job and it’s a joy to do.
    Lesson learnt.

Luke – I tried your method but there wasn’t enough depth to get purchase. Shame, nice idea!

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Was it a FAG BB? I saw one of their tools on ebay recently and wondered if you won it?

FAG BB’s were the first cartridge BB’s that I used after wearing out my first MTB’s loose ball cup and cone BB. They were about £15/unit in 1990 and our LBS owner would let us borrow the tool and do the job on the pavement outside the shop!

wwaswas

The right tool for the job is always the best thing. Just did some hope hub bearings with the proper tools – I want to do more now!

Hope you didn’t lose too much time on my bodge.

timbur
    Free Member

Nope, got the Park one as it goes with the rest of the tool wall :O) (tart? Me? Yes!)

Ooo, and it was a LOT cheaper.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘HELP: Removing square taper bb's’ is closed to new replies.