• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nxb1.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • help: removing crown race from forks
  • nxb1
    Free Member

how do i do this with out scratching up the crowns on the forks?

I am switching forks from one frame to another. there are different headsets on each frame so I need to replace the existing crown race with a new one. I have tried using a screw driver but the crown race is stuck fast.

Do you have any ideas on how I can do remove the current crown race? Links to youtube videos or the like would great.

Once this is done, I can start on the build of my new Cotic Soul 🙂

thanks

continuity
    Free Member

If you can’t do it with a taped screwdriver / knife (wiggling) – and yes, this will scratch the crown a little, then take it to your LBS, they have a tool for this.

TubsRacing
    Free Member

Sometimes there is a little notch so you can get a screwdriver blade under the crown race

Rorschach
    Free Member

The tools your lbs will have will be 1,a chisel 2,a hammer 3,some touch up paint.
    The park removal tool is next to useless….the ice toolz one a little better.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

knife blade – stanley knife blade is good – hammer it in between race and fork – another one the other side is good as well – this should give you enough gap to get a screwdriver in

nuke

Chisel is good with the flat side against the crown with angled side under crown race. Bit of electrical tape on crown to protect. Then alternate sides and take you’re time. Wife helps me…she holds the fork and after each strike rotates the fork.

RS forks are easiest imo as they have the little groove so you can get it started with a nail punch or similar

bigyinn
    Free Member

Get a stanley knife blade and gently tape it between the crown and crown race, then get another and repeat until the race starts moving, then work on the other side and you should be able to get a big enough gap to get a screwdriver into.

nxb1
    Free Member

thanks for the ideas guys. Will let you know how I get on.

Nigel

ruscle
    Free Member

Forks upside down, a length of soft wood and a hammer will do it and won’t scratch anything. Just work ur way round the race and it will eventually pop off.

dave56
    Free Member

Chisel works better than a screwdriver. **** it.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

plus one the stanley blade tip. (tap not tape though)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

And after you’ve done all that farting about, go out and buy a headset with a split crown race. 😀

tony24
    Free Member

as above or thin filling knife tapped in then use chisel to get it off wont wreck the crown of the fork then. 😀

thehood
    Free Member

how about a crown race remover. or some curry powder in the vents.

wait, that’s a different conversation.

tomaso
    Free Member

Place the top of the steerer on some wooden board and get the screwdriver on the crown race and hit it with a good sharp blow, turn and repeat working your way round. If it won’t come off you’re not hitting it hard enough!

soops
    Free Member

A good stiff paint scraper and hammer works for me.

nxb1
    Free Member

In view of the continued ideas of using chisels and the like, I almost feel ashamed to say that I ended up at head for the hills in dorking and Dan used his Park Tools crown race remover tool which made short work of the job.

@B.A.Nana I have a hope headset fitted to my cotic soul which does indeed come with a split crown race.

nigel

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘help: removing crown race from forks’ is closed to new replies.