Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help – Rear dropout too tight
  • adsb
    Free Member

Building up my long awaited DB alpine and the rhs dropout is way too tight for the axle to slide in and out. It’s the longer dropout next to the derailleur hanger, the base is just about ok so the dropout is not quite parallel, can I bend it or should I try and file away some material? – not keen on trashing it obviously!

Any advice much appreciated

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

damaged frame -maybe in transit. I’d be returning it to get it sorted. even if its just a question of bending it out it needs to end in the right place or the mech hanger will be in te4h wrong place

adsb
    Free Member

Good sensible advice but it’s about 1mm we’re talking about and it’ll take forever to get it to DB and back. Could well be transit damage but triangles are ok and no marks…

legend
    Free Member

email Mike and ask?

nicko74

at the risk of sounding very foolish indeed, have you considered placing the frame flat on the ground, non-driveside down. Stand on the non-driveside plate end, and *gently* pull on the drive-side seatstay/ chainstay. If it’s only 1mm, it really shouldn’t need much…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

get shop to do it then – they will have the tooling to make sure it all remains in alignment. If the mech hanger is out of alignment you will never get decent shifting

adsb
    Free Member

nicko74

That’s exactly the sort of idea I had in mind, plus a few variations, anyone done it??

I’m in the middle of nowhere and the local(ish) bike shops have never seen a decent bit of steel for decades so would rather do it myself if I can work out a safe-ish procedure. Understand that this is a five spanner rating on the hayes manual hardest to do scale!

adsb
    Free Member

Problem solved, 10mm drill bit and some careful but committed tapping did the trick!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help – Rear dropout too tight’ is closed to new replies.