Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • HELP – Ragely mmmmmbop BB problem
  • scud
    Free Member

Having purchased one of the mmmbop's at the CRC bargain price, the Ragley website states it has a 68mm BB shell measurement.

So I purchased a MRP chain guide to run 1X9 set up and fitted BB with a spacer and chain guide on drive side and a spacer on non drive side as normally expected for 68mm B, then noticed that when i fitted the crank it came up short.

Measured the BB and it seems to measure 73mm, is it me or am i being thick?

HELP!

scaredypants

you sure the axle is pushed/pulled right through

I alays have a bit of a go with a rubber mallet when replacing mine

brant
    Free Member

It's a 73mm shell on later models. Sorry for the confusion.

scud
    Free Member

I did use the "persuader" to give it a great big whack, did up the BB either side as tight as i could get it, measured the width of the chain guide making sure it was 2.5mm like the spacers.

Pushed the drive side of the crank through and whacked with the persuader, then went to attach non drive side crank arm and put in the plastic widget (not sure of real name) before doing up the crank bolts and noticed that I couldn't.

scud
    Free Member

Brant, thanks for coming back to me in person.

Anyone know if i can get away with running the chain guide still? It would throw everything out by 2.5mm, i can't send it back to CRC as it has been fitted now.

brant
    Free Member

Surely you can just dump ALL the spacers and just run the chainguide on there? Should be bang on.

brant
    Free Member

ps: any problem with CRC over this, and I'll give you the money myself. I've updated the site now.

scaredypants

Ah

If they're 2.5mm spacers, you need one from each side don't you – so should be OK ?

roundwheels
    Free Member

could have been worse you could ordered a bargin chain set but with 83mm bb 😳 now waiting on a 73mm bb chain set 🙄

scud
    Free Member

Brant, thanks for that, but no need, i'll try just using the guide and no other spacers, sure it will be fine. I'm no mechanic, more of a bodger, i wasn't sure what effect having the extra 2.5mm in there would have.

I was just itching to take it for it's maiden voyage tonight though.

Thanks again.

scaredypants

'ere, brant..

ages ago you mentioned it being daft, spacers being where they are & thought they'd be better outside the cups. Said I'd been wondering the same, maybe with an extra dust seal, and you said "watch this space"

any news ?

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

We had the same problem – over a week ago when my husband emailed Brant – appreciate you sorting it now Brant, but would've been good if you'd have done it last week when we highlighted the mistake rather than waiting to be corrected on a public site before sorting it…

jamiep
    Free Member

as it happens I had a BB problem today. Trial and error and a few goes with the persuader and Ive now dumped all but a single spacer on the drive side and all is peachy

DT78
    Free Member

I'm running mrp 1×9 ok, using no spacers, only problem I've got is sometimes it jams on backpedal but I reckon thats something to do with the mech / freehub? Best piccy I have at the mo

-Liam-
    Free Member

Not a massive issue but when i fitted a ht2 bb with a spacer on the drive side, the cup on the non drive side didn't butt right up to the shell because the machining process of mine at least, had left no chamfer in the bore. The cup was just locking up on the sharp corner of the shell. Luckily i'm a cnc programmer by trade so have a hand cutting tool to remove the sharp edge and all was well. Just check for a slight gap, probably no more than 0.1mm between the cup and shell when using an external bb.

brant
    Free Member

We had the same problem – over a week ago when my husband emailed Brant – appreciate you sorting it now Brant, but would've been good if you'd have done it last week when we highlighted the mistake rather than waiting to be corrected on a public site before sorting it…

Been rather busy.

scud
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help Brant, much appreciated and great frame, keep up the good work.

brant
    Free Member

MountainMonkey – just to check – I *did* reply to you didn't I? Apologies if that wasn't the case, I think I'm up to date. Site updates not at the front of my head right now due to Eurobike final sorting and 2011 product.

v10
    Free Member

… and watching VERY random videos on the internet

BAGGER BAGGER BAGGER! 😆

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

MountainMonkey – just to check – I *did* reply to you didn't I? Apologies if that wasn't the case, I think I'm up to date. Site updates not at the front of my head right now due to Eurobike final sorting and 2011 product.

Yeah, sorry Brant – was in a bad mood as baby wouldn't go to sleep! You did reply to us, just figured it'd help others if you sorted the site too. Still, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things! Cheers.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘HELP – Ragely mmmmmbop BB problem’ is closed to new replies.