Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help please – SRAM Cranks & Hope BB
  • mattw
    Free Member

Evening all,

I hope somebody can help here. I want to fit my Hope Ceramic BB to my Santacruz Solo running SRAM X01 cranks.

I bought the GXP converter kit from Hope and pressed the two converter rings into the NDS bearing bearing cup with no problem. The cups screw into the frame fine. The chainset and NSD crank attach no problem but as soon as I put any torque into the crank bolt I get MEGA friction and the cranks barely turn. I think the inside of the chanrings or spider are rubbing on the bearing cup. WTF??

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong here?

Cheers!
    Matt.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

On some frames and SRAM crank set ups the tolerances can be out leading to binding. You could remove the outer of the top hat reducers from the bearing and try again or maybe ditch the wave washer and see if that fixes it.

dingleberry
    Free Member

Got the right spacers?

benpinnick

Sounds like your BB spacing is too wide. The cranks arms on the drive side should have 3-4mm gap between the spider and the BB. They shouldn’t be snug onto the BB.

mattw
    Free Member

Thanks. I think I had 2 spacers on the drive side (the side that was rubbing) and one on the NDS. I’ll try removing one or both from the drive side next time and see what happens….

Cheers!
    Matt.

dingleberry
    Free Member

If it’s a 73mm BB shell you just need the one spacer on the drive side:

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/BBinstructions.pdf

mattw
    Free Member

Thanks dingleberry, that’s exactly the info I was after! I’m away this weekend but will hopefully get to have another go Sunday evening or Monday so I’ll report back then.

I reckon you’ve hit the nail on the head. What a freakin muppet I am! Ha!

Thanks again
    Matt.

mattw
    Free Member

Update: Got the BB and cranks on and torqued up, lovely jubbly, thanks for the tips all, very much appreciated!

The only issue now is that I still have a creak. The tone has changed, but I still have a creak 🙁

Any tips for a creaky Santacruz Solo?

Cheers!
    Matt.

kristoff
    Free Member

Creaky pivots occur if they’re not greased/torqued properly. Had a similar issue with my bronson thinking it was BB or crank/pedals… Nope upper pivot bolt.. Removed, new loctite on thread and a smear of grease on the shank all is now silent again. The lowers get greased when you use the grease ports underneath the bottom link.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help please – SRAM Cranks & Hope BB’ is closed to new replies.