• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Help please – Ski lift holiday at the beginning of June?
  • brugles
    Free Member

So I’ve made an enormous cock up and thought I’d see if anyone can help, I’m expecting a little piss take too obviously. My girfriend surprised me the other day by telling me my birthday present was a week in the Alps downhilling. All excited I got straight on the internet and booked the flights, flying from London to Geneva on 2nd June and returning on 10th. Whilst looking for accomodation I stumbled across the fact that the lifts don’t open for the summer season until 10th June. Shit.

I can’t move the week because it is half term week and this is our only time available. Options are to take all mountain bike and take in some serious XC riding, or go somewhere else, I can transfer my flights for a reasonable fee. Does anyone know of anywhere in Europe or close by where you can ride DH that week without any pushing up?

scruff
    Free Member

Chamonix maybe ?

(Thats a good balls up btw)

lucien

Some Bike parks in Germany are open HERE and possibly HERE AS WELL

You could also try Metabief and Lac Blanc in the Jura (east of the Alps) although I think that’s only weekends.

Finally, some XC trails in Austria (Zell am See) and Switzerland will be accessable from the mountain railway systems although the information I’ve tried to find is limited and you may need a guide.

Alps wise, it’s pretty much 1st week of July rather than mid-June for most

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brugles
    Free Member

Nope, Chamonix is the second week of June too….

scruff
    Free Member

Zermatt funicular uphill train thing?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’d strap one on and MTFU…

pedal up the hills, they aren’t that bad

😛

brugles
    Free Member

I will ride up if there’s no other option, but I can ride up hills here, if I’m going overseas I’d rather it was for downhilling…

woody2000

Van uplifts here from May onwards (weather permitting I guess)

johnhe

What about contacting one of the bike companies and asking if they run uplift services that week? Like Bike Verbier, or one of the ones in Morzine or
    Chamomix.

brugles
    Free Member

Loving all the good ideas and suggestions, you may just be saving my holiday. 😀

Stu_N

Get the new Dirt magazine (the issue that is just out with the World Cup preview in it); it has an article (OTA#3) that talks about about year-round lift assisted riding in the Rhone valley.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Funicular in tigne or the one in Les Arcs? Limited trails though?

jhw
    Free Member

Chamonix has road accessible DH trails if you explore a little bit.

ianv
    Free Member

Try looking at the southern Alp resorts: rubion, le grand puy, chabanon. All open early June. Also, grand valira in Andorra opened 3rd June 2011. There is also van uplifts around finale and st remo in Italy. Swiss cable cars and funiculars tend to run all year as they service mountain villages, the Valais area seems to have plenty

tpbiker
    Free Member

les gets is open at the weekends from end of May….you’d just have to find something to do for the rest of the week!

teadrinker
    Free Member

I went snowboarding in Sweden last year and they had an amazing array of trails for summer use with lifts etc. Worth a look http://www.arebikepark.se/en/

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

have a look here:

Mountain Edge

In Kitzbuhel Austria.

I used to guide for them and can strongly recommend the riding!

joat

I’d hang on to that girlfriend if I was you. Oh and the wife and I are on one of the Mountain Edge leaflets (above the price list if you have one), it was on honeymoon. :D, Though they might have changed it by now.

jhw
    Free Member

yes, e.g. crans montana funicular possibly (above sierre?). could be wrong.

bex/rochers de naye if snow free (unlikely)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Help please – Ski lift holiday at the beginning of June?’ is closed to new replies.