Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help – Please recommend me a…
  • Solo
    Free Member

Mobile phone. I’ve managed to limp along on my aged HTC HD mini running Windows 6.5. But its starting to properly play up, so I need to replace it.

Of course, being a techno-idiot, I’ve not kept pace with what been happening in mobile phone world.

Don’t think I want an iphone (please don’t hate me, any more…)

So, I’d be grateful for mobile phone recommendations. My last phone had Tomtom, stand alone, SatNav and also ran Memory Map and I’d like to keep these in some form.

Ta.

S.

dribbling
    Free Member

Sony Xperia T.

HTH

soma_rich
    Free Member

Sony Xperia Go

paulwatts
    Free Member

Hi….happy new year!
    Ditto iphone!!
    I’m not techy at all (no proper computer even!!) but all l have is a Samsung Galaxy Note.
    Really good.
    Guess the Note 2 should be better.
    Good luck!

Solo
    Free Member

Oo, Oo. Responses.
    🙂

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into them.
    😀

Hi….happy new year!

Oops. Yes, I’ve been remiss. Happy new year to Y’all.
    🙂

Solo
    Free Member

Ah.

Actually, a tech Q.

How does one load “apps” onto these phones. I don’t think I want to create any online accounts, etc. Does one just buy and download a phone progam then hook it up to the PC via a usb and install it ?.

Solo
    Free Member

Ah. Ok, I’ve looked at the 3 phones mentioned above. However, they’re all a bit on the large side. Is that how things are these days ?. Mobile phones as large as the public telephone boxes they replace ?.

theflatboy
    Free Member

nexus 4. £240 (8gb) or £280 (16gb) sim-free from google. amaze.

jota180
    Free Member

It used to be a race to the smallest phone now it’s going the other way

My work phone is a Samsung GT-I8150, it’s about the same size as an iPhone 4
    Bound to be as cheap as chips if we got them dished out by our current bunch of bosses,
    Seems to do everything you want, I don’t like it because I hit too many wrong keys with my fat fingers but other than that, it’s OK

Cougar

I don’t think I want to create any online accounts, etc.

You should reconsider a smartphone, then.

An iDevice requires an associated Apple ID, it won’t even switch on without one. You can use an Android device without a Google account, but frankly you’d be mad to do so (or be an atypical case – phone for a child maybe) because it brings with it a wealth of additional functionality.

Both platforms have app stores built into the phone as an application. You can get installer files for some Android applications (they’re a .apk file, like the PC’s .exe) but the vast, vast majority of stuff is distributed through the store. As far as I’m aware there’s no equivalent of this on iPhone, though someone with more experience of the platform might want to confirm this.

Windows Mobile I’ve no idea, but I doubt it’s wholly dissimilar to the other two. Blackberry requires an account for it’s app store too, but is functional without one (which is just as well cos there’s sod all on there anyway).

dribbling
    Free Member

How does one load “apps” onto these phones.

You will need a google email address for an Android phone. You never need use it though.

Apps are though Google Play, which is an online store. You select from there and they automtically download onto handset memory, or SD card. It’s all very very easy.

When you’re home, if set up, it’ll automatically hook up to your broadband to save on data allowance.

verses

To get apps you typically need an account of some variety.

– iPhones get apps through iTunes so you need an iTunes account.
    – Android phones get apps through Google Play, if you already have a Gmail account you can use that.
    – I assume Windows phones will have a similar system based around MSN/Hotmail/etc accounts.

I just upgraded from my HTC Desire to a Samsung Galaxy S2. It’s not the latest tech but it’s a nice step up from my old phone and hasn’t cost the earth (and isn’t the size of a small house). They are both Android-based so all my settings and purchased apps were available “automagically” as soon as I typed my Gmail details into the new phone

Edit: I am Cougar and dribbling AICMFP

Solo
    Free Member

😥

^^^^ thanks for the replies and info. Its just what I was hoping to avoid. I’m a simple phone user. I just want to load an app from my PC onto the phone. Then fire-up said app, when I need it.

All this automatic connections, etc isn’t required and sounds as if it has the potential to run out of control.

BTW, I have been looking at the phones suggested and they all seem to be at least 30% larger than my old HTC HD mini.

I just need to make calls, send texts, fire-up Tomtom when I’m out and do the occassional surf / log into here when I’m in the costa… thats about it. Data useage doesn’t bother me as I’m not usually a heavy phone based web-surfer. I also prefer to carry the map of western Europe on a memory card in the phone rather than relying on a data connection for the map.
    😕

Solo
    Free Member

which is just as well cos there’s sod all on there anyway

So Blackberrys are out of the picture then ?.

Solo
    Free Member

What do we think of the Galaxy W ?.

Cougar

All this automatic connections, etc isn’t required and sounds as if it has the potential to run out of control.

I don’t really get this. It’s as ‘out of control’ as you let it be. Why would you want to faff about with cables, downloading, transferring files, installing, etc etc when you can just do it all from the phone? I used to have a pre-“Windows Phone” Windows Mobile device and I miss the ballache of getting apps to actually run about the same as I miss glandular fever.

I suppose you could get ‘trigger happy’, but a lot of stuff is free anyway and you don’t sound like someone who’ll be spunking the GDP of a small Eastern European country on Angry Birds and assorted pish.

So Blackberrys are out of the picture then ?.

I have one as a work phone. As a work phone it’s superlative, but I can’t for a second imagine having it as my primary device.

I also prefer to carry the map of western Europe on a memory card in the phone

There’s a few options here. As an ex-TomTom user, the closest thing I’ve found is CoPilot which is almost as good. You can get TomTom but as it’s about three times the price of CoPilot I’ll take ‘almost’. There’s free options too, But I’ve found CP to be worth the price of admission.

Solo
    Free Member

Cougar.

Thanks. Don’t mind paying for TomTom as its been extremely useful and some years I have driven many miles.

Same for the one or two apps I might want. I’d have hoped just to go online with the PC, buy and downoad the app. Then send to and install on the phone.

In the case of Memory Map, I’d be hoping to buy the app and use my existing map archive.

Its mostly TomTom, a bit of surfing, calls and a few texts. I’m not a gamer, I don’t do the social network thing. Yeah, I’m a bit if a simple tech user. not into the complicated stuff as I do not appear to have a need for it.

Solo
    Free Member

I’ve found the Galaxy S3 mini and its looking as if it might do the job.

I also considered the HTC desire X which got a fair review on Trusted reviews….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help – Please recommend me a…’ is closed to new replies.