Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Help Please? internet pages not loading or very slow
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve been on it’s case a few hours now, to no avail. Started in the last few days, basically, pages are really slow to load or don’t load at all. Have run a couple of speed checkers and I’m getting 11mbps download speed
    Tried it on Chrome/IE browsers and it’s the same, even downloaded firefox just now and it’s the same there.

Did a Malwarebytes scan this morning, Did an Avast virus scan and have even now uninstalled Avast thinking it might be the anti virus software slowing it down. Run CCleaner and the registry cleaner option. checked for java updates, checked for flash player updates (it just said chrome does it automatically). All were normal and/or haven’t made a difference.
    Strangely, on some sites it seems to run reasonably normal ie singletrack, but others it just comes up ‘waiting to load xyz’ then the little icon just whirs round and round. Google search works fine.

Any ideas? I’m wondering if it’s a recent flash player update, but then everyone would be having this problem. Going to load MSE now, seeing as it doesn’t appear to be caused by antivirus software.

wwaswas

do you have any other devices on the same network (phone etc)?

Are they the same?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

if you mean other devices using the wifi, then no. One phone is connected, but not being used. How do I check if someone outside has managed to link to my wifi?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just noticed that the green lights on my modem aren’t flashing like mad as usual? Altho they are lit.

wwaswas

If you try the phone and have the same issues then you know it’s not the PC causing the problem.

You should be able to log into the router and see connected devices on there.

Also, if it’s possible try and plug the pc into the router with a cable.

tbh, if you’re consistently getting 11Mbs on speedtest.net (have you run tests in the past, is this slower) then pure line speed may not be the issue.

[edit] have you switched the router off, waited 30 seconds and restarted?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

just trying now,

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If you solve it can you report back to the thread?

I’ve got something similar going on. Happens on multiple devices. Some sites load fine others start to load but then don’t go any further, if I cancel the load and then refresh the page it normally loads as expected although very rarely it requires a second stop and refresh. There doesn’t seem to be any consistency to it, sometimes its fine other times it’s not, as far as I can tell it’s happening randomly across all sorts of webpages.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Exactly the same senario for me muppetWrangler.

I’ve got the PC plugged into the router and now turned wifi off. Didn’t appear to be anyone else on my network. There were two, but I think both were my pc ie cable and wifi.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m on BT broadband and I’ve seen the problem occur on an iPad and an iMac both running safari. I first noticed the problem on Friday.

It just did it on this page when I tried a refresh, had to click refresh twice to get it to load.

The only suggestion that i could find online was to remove all web data from the browser cache which I did but it didn’t alter anything other than getting the “we use cookies” popups from websites all over again.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

just tried tvguide.co.uk loaded slowly and briefly saw a box flash up with ‘it’s dead jim’ logo.

thanks wwaswas, going to switch on wifi and fiddle with the phone

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think ‘He’s dead Jim’ might have been a*bl*ck*r working. Altho the point being, that something is working so slowly that I can see a*bl*ck*r working, previously it would have been too fast for me to spot. At some point this morning, I have tried it with a*bl*ck*r off btw.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Does the problem occur through wifi and also when you’ve got your laptop connected to the router via an ethernet cable?

If it’s wifi only you might find that your wifi router and another one nearby are both transmitting on the same channel. I had this recently and it resulted in similar symptoms to yours.

Our router was set to automatically pick what channel it transmitted on but could be overridden through the settings.

To access settings, you usually have to go to 192.168.1.1 in a web browser and login using the credentials on the back of your router/internet provider card.

Best to do this when connected by cable as changing the channel will disconnect you from the router temporarily and can be a ball ache to fix if its not improved the situation.

maxtorque

Same here. Started a few days ago. Blank page opens, but then sits “loading” for ages. But only sometimes on some sites. If you hit the “X” then the Refresh button, often the page loads immediately.

I’d imagine it’s some cookie/advertising/tracking/virus checker thing going on. My actual Broadband is fine.

wwaswas

If it’s in all browsers then it’s unlikely to be cache or switches in one of them causing problems.

You could try turning stuff like javascript off in one and see if it makes a difference.

[edit]

Try CTRL-SHIFT-K in firefox.

Click on ‘profiler’ then the timings symbol which will start a log of all network acxtivity.

Load a page you know you have problems with.

when it’s finished click the icon again.

you can then expand the list and see what took most network time to download – may help if there’s anything odd going on.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Load a page you know you have problems with.

Seems random here, this page has loaded sometimes, sometimes not.

This may be some kind of Schrödinger’s cat type experiment. All web pages are simultaneously working and not working and only by clicking on the site do we find out which it is.

wwaswas

do a few, on the ones you have problems with see if a certain part of the page is slower loading on the occasions it fails.

Cougar

Are you all on the same ISP / exchange perhaps?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Does the problem occur through wifi and also when you’ve got your laptop connected to the router via an ethernet cable?

Is same with cable plugged in and WiFi switched off. Also think it’s doing it on my phone when connected to the WiFi. All speed tests say 11mbps but often acting like I have 0.1mbps exactly same as others describe, completely random.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Are you all on the same ISP / exchange perhaps?

I’m with BT and on the Uxbridge exchange

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Orange (or is it EE now?) ISP and Bingley, West Yorks exchange

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

And this evening it seems to have sorted itself out without me doing anything.

burko73

I had this over the weekend. Pages taking ages to load and stopping but if I clicked back/ forward in the browser it would load ok. I changed my wifi channel a couple of times and that has seemed to sort it. It was driving me mad and also killing my sonos feeds.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

had this issue for a week.

use a mac and an ipad, seems fine using the net on the htc one.

BT? scheduled a call with them later today

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Like I said mine was borked but then came back to normal on its own but if anyone does find out what caused it (I’m looking at you tuskaloosa and your BT call) can they post back on here with the solution in case it crops up again. Thanks.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Mine has also been behaving itself, certainly all today, possibly yesterday.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Help Please? internet pages not loading or very slow’ is closed to new replies.