Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help please: Hope Pro2 rear binding when tighten maxle
  • DeeW
    Free Member

Got a rear Pro2 bought off here. Came as 135×12. I’ve converted to 142×12. Spins ok off bike but when i tighten the rear maxle the hub will no longer spin. Taken it all apart and can’t see an issue, bearings all clean and smooth. Any words of wisdom?

kimbers

do you have the spacer between the bearing and freehub?

part number 9 on this

Tiboy

missing the little aluminium spacer between the freehub and the body?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Either missing the little spacer/washer as above, or the lip seal on the free hub body isn’t seating properly.

DeeW
    Free Member

By process of elimination it seems to be down to the non drive side seal number 15 in the diagram. Spins perfect with seal out, binds with seal in. Very strange…

DeeW
    Free Member

Aaaaaargh!

Non-drive seal out, no freehub = spinning perfect

Non-drive seal out, freehub on = binds

davewalsh
    Free Member

Freehub seal on back-to-front ?

JohnB
    Free Member

Not quite sure how a maxle works but I have had the same issue with a qr.

Have a look at the spacer that goes on the end of the axle parts 20 or 22 etc and look at the O ring inside. The metal that is between the O ring and inner surface may have cracked. So when it is nipped up the end part clamps against the outer bearing race locking everything up. It may look ok when you take it off as the o ring will hold the broken bit out in place.

I have had 2 do this on a qr set up. Drove me crazy trying to find it.

Seems like a major design flaw as the whole clamping force (on a qr at least) is taken on 2mm of aluminium.

I sent a detailed set of pics to Hope explaining the issue but no comment.

I now keep a spare in stock and when the next goes will send it back to Hope.

chipster

Spacer missing, pound to a penny.

travo
    Free Member

Had the exact same problem when I coveted mine to a 142, solved it by switching the freehub seal round the other way as it binds up against the hub body when tightening up the wheel.

spooky_b329

On my QR model, there are two spacers that look the same but are minutely different so need to be in the correct order. 3 and 12 or 7 and 8?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help please: Hope Pro2 rear binding when tighten maxle’ is closed to new replies.