Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • HELP pedal/crank problem.
  • batman11
    Free Member

I’m got a set of pedal’s one of which came with with a ruff thread on it, there new and of cause if I send them back I’ll be blamed :(, so having spent a good while fiddling trying to fit the left one to 3 sets of cranks! I of cause have now chewed the thread in one of the cranks too! Only at the start of the thread though.
    So a little help with what I need tool wise to,
    A clean the crank thread up/out, and
    B sort the pedal thread out on the pedal
    Any help with links names and thread size would be great thanks guys in advance.
    Bats.

POSTED AGO # EDIT

cynic-al
    Free Member

A – pedal thread tap (9/16″) many shops will have one.

B – send it back.

njee20
    Free Member

Why would you be blamed if you send them back? Steel threads on pedals will always mangle alu threads on cranks. As you’ve found, why keep trying?! Stop mullering crank threads.

“Of course”, not “of cause” too.

Lester
    Free Member

which crank did you strip? i did same yesterday to driveside xt crank

mokl
    Free Member

I’ve got to ask the obvious question (and please don’t be offended), but you have been screwing the left pedal anti-clockwise to install it? I’ve seen this before on left-hand cranks as people often don’t realise or forget and try to install by screwing clockwise. If only the first few threads are mangled you could try threading the same pedal through the other side of the crank (ie through the hole from the back). This may clear the threads out if they’ve been damaged and then enable you to refit the pedal from the correct side. If you are certain the pedal threads are the cause of the problem then of course don’t try this as you will only damage the crank further. Good luck!

batman11
    Free Member

Hi moki, yes mate threaded right way and done did the reverse pedal thing from the back to try clear thread in crank 😕
    Lester a set of raceface turbine fat bike cranks.
    I’m gonna look again later beginning to wounded if they’ve sent two right hand pedals 🙂 as I’ve not tried fitting the offending pedal to the other side yet!
    I might add the right hand pedal goes in nice and cleanly before anyone mentions it :D.

pinetree
    Free Member

Bloody hell! You must really have gone to town on it, to be able to knacker the thread on a turbine crank- they’re tough as nails!

Which side is it you’ve killed? If it’s the right hand side, you might be able to find a spare crankarm, as it’s just a standard turbine arm. If it’s the left, you might be a bit scuppered, as the 100mm bb version are a bit like hens’ teeth.

batman11
    Free Member

Na it’s only the front edge of the thread thank god so no biggy, and sadly it was the left crank so yeah would have been like finding a hens tooth lol.

batman11
    Free Member

We’ll they both go nicely into the right hand side crank mmmmm.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1) Send back pedals, unless you have been dealing with Del Boy you can return stuff, if not raise a CC dispute.
    2) Get crank threads run through

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘HELP pedal/crank problem.’ is closed to new replies.