Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help or aids to correct knee position
  • oldgit
    Free Member

OK I've been getting on pretty well for years, but my right knee leans out like I'm constantly cornering. And I know I loose power when I don't think about correcting it. I'm ok when I'm in a TT or just pushing in a straight line as I'll remind myself to tuck it in, not only do I notice the difference in the speed I can lay down, but you can actually see very clearly my calf muscles working properly. This is one of those things I've never got round to sorting out. I have thought it would correct itself, but I only become aware in certain conditions. Therefore I think I could use something mechanical on my shoe or pedal to help.
    Off to Google now, but any pointers apriciated.
    My mates say it from years of racing round the council estate in one direction..

oldgit
    Free Member

Anyone used Cyclefit wedges?

nonk
    Free Member

be carefull with this oldgit.
    i have used wedges for about three years and now have a nightmare of a hip injury.the first thing my physio looked for was my wedges,he looked at me like i was an idiot when he found them.

Paceman
    Free Member

Shoe wedges worked for me, the specialized ones.

tinsy
    Free Member

Do the spech BG shoes still come with 1.5 deg wedge built into them?

Not sure the wedges are a trial and error thing though oldgit, might want to get somewhere special to have a look.. Even then the wedge thing wouldnt make you pedal in the proper circular motion, I would imagine it would still take concentration.

brant
    Free Member

Chipps tried some things called "Big Meats".

Probably best not to google for them – and I think they're called Lew Wedges now.

tinsy
    Free Member

Yup Lemond lewedges..

jimthesaint

aids to correct knee position

That seems a bit drastic.

oldgit
    Free Member

Apparently wedges are generally used to correct pronation, I'm the opposite.
    A quick chat with a proffesional and a glance at an image of my cleat set up suggested that my problems were cleat based.
    All the symptoms especially the one were it feels like my cranks arms are loose (worst with Eggbeaters, better with Candys and hardly noticeable with Keos)seemed to confirm this.
    Rather embarassingly it seems it might be me setting up my cleats opposite to how they should be 😳 Like I had assembled them using mirrors?
    A quick fettle yesterday, without going the whole hog seems to have worked.
    It was also pointed out that cycling shoes have lasts just like running shoes. Something I always paid attention to when I used to run, but never thought about when buying cycling shoes. And my current shoes have an extremely curved last. So next on my to buy list are a decent set of shoes, probably with stiffer soles and a good lacing/ratchet system. Then hopefully I'll be sorted.

tinsy
    Free Member

mm., sounds like you have had a win though oldgit, nice to find solutions to stuff like that, can you shed any light on "lasts" for me? No idea what that means. And where did you seek pro help from?

crikey
    Free Member

Oldgit, I'm sure you know that you mess with cleat position at your peril…

Try some Scott shoes; they're the best shoes I've used in 20 years, with a fantastic insole.

These ones.. search for "scott pro shoes"

oldgit
    Free Member

OK if I've got it right the last is the shape of the footbed or sole. If you look at the sole of a shoe some almost curve from the toe to the heel and some are a straight line from toe to heel?

hh45
    Free Member

cycle fit in covent garden do more than wedges. they corrected my general bike set up and made a massive improvement. 3 pain free years and counting.

LsD
    Free Member

LOSE!!!!

ffs 😡

JoeNation
    Free Member

A last is basically the mould they use to make a shoe. It's surprisingly un-foot-shaped, but the upper is formed around the last (usually nailed to it) and then the sole is glued on after the upper material has taken it's shape (often by steaming it). As you say different shoes using different lasts can have very different shapes (one orthotic shoe company I know of has three different last shapes in 6 widths and 20-odd sizes each, and that's only for relatively normal-looking feet).

If your knee problem still persists (and even if it doesn't), try sitting with your legs hanging off the edge of a table (thighs parallel). Do your toes point out (particularly more on the right)? Now lie on your back and relax your legs. Are your toes still pointing in roughly the same direction (even more on the right, or the same as before)? If they point out further when you're on your back then you might have an in-built external hip rotation; nothing to worry about but it might explain the knee sticking out. Wedges won't help with this. And new (better) shoes won't either but they certainly won't do you any harm. Angling your cleats so your toes point inwards slightly might help push your knee back in, but be wary of knee ligament strain if you do.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I too have a slightly Duck-foot on the R side.
    I specifically exercise the hip flexors as my R one is tighter and less flexible it seems (a physio showed me this).
    I set up my Crank Bros cleats exactly as my feet point, else I assume I'm forcing the knee joint into an unnatural position, surely.
    I like my Spec' shoes very much & now don't buy anything else.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help or aids to correct knee position’ is closed to new replies.