Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help on upgrade or replace pc please
  • leeroybrown
    Free Member

hi
    i am looking to upgrade my pc or maybe replace
    my current set up is a dell vostro 200
    Pentium e2200
    2gb ram
    nvidia geforce 6200se

i never play games on it but i cant stream display hd videos from redbull etc
    do you think i would see much of a improvement if i upgraded the ram and graphics card ?
    thanks

oliharan92
    Free Member

I think it would be a waste upgrading. The prossesor is going to be limiting now days. I would spend the money on a new pc , probably go for something with an i5, the onboard graphics will be better than your current dedicated graphics card

leeroybrown
    Free Member

Cheers I thought that would be the case, it’s always nice to hear it from someone else
    I’ll have a look in the new year for a new motherboard CPU ram combo
    I want to be able to watch the downhill on redbull next year without wanting to punch the monitor

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Not sure I agree with Oli. (though i’m not an expert)

what os are you running? adding 2gb is likely to give you a good improvement. Assuming you have a spare slot, you may be able to pick up an extra 2gb for next to nothing, depending on the type.

Same with the GFX card. Yours maybe old, and slow, but might be enough for what you want. If its too slow, and new faster one could probably be had for £20-£30.

Might even be worth looking at upgrading the processor. Again, because your looking at old technology, sometimes these things can go for throwaway prices. Check out what you MB can support and head on over to ebay.

Lastly, it could well not be your computer that is slow. Could be your connection to your router, your internet connection or redbull website.

Oh, and if you do end up upgrading the mobo, you may have to upgrade the PSU too. Connectors have altered over the years.

DaRC_L

A Linux operating system is more efficient and could extend the life of your PC – something like Ubuntu is pretty easy to install and you can run as dual-boot.

It’s free – so might be worth a try first.

GeForceJunky

For most ‘normal’ users these day I suggest building a little miniITX pc, something like this build:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/VvTB7P

Into this case and PSU:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/powercool-k3i-mini-itx-black-aluminium-chassis-with-120w-psu-vesa-ready

Plus a cheap copy of Win7/8.1 and you have a great little PC for internet videos/browsing/email/office. The last one I build like this I added a NoFan CR80 passive CPU cooler (sticking out the top of the case) for a completely silent fanless PC 🙂

leeroybrown
    Free Member

Thanks guys, it’s running windows 7 at the mo
    I may format it and run a clean copy of windows over the weekend
    If I can get some more ram and gfx card for around £50 I’ll try that
    As the kids will still use it if I buy something newer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help on upgrade or replace pc please’ is closed to new replies.