Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Help – on the verge of giving up cycle commute :O(
  • Nick

Buy an Altura night vision jacket (not the black one)

RichPenny
    Free Member

If you're only riding 3 times faster than you can walk, there's no hope for you 😉

For me, the biggest difference I've made is mental. There's not much you can do about stupid drivers bar the defensive stuff mentioned. Sometimes I still have a little grumble. I have noticed though that I'm much happier with less clearance when its me in control, such as oncoming traffic on a narrow road. I feel more vulnerable when not in control, hence more stressed. Realising this has made me chill.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If you're only riding 3 times faster than you can walk, there's no hope for you

Dunno, I can walk quite happily at 4.5-5mph with a rucksack. 15 average is pretty acceptable on a bike.

glenp
    Free Member

3:1 is about the right ratio, very rough guess. 10 min cycle to 30 min walk.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends, I base my commuting time on 40min to cover 6 miles on the tourer (and arrive sweat free), to average 15mph you'd need to be hammering on a fair bit, I only ever averaged 16 on the road bike on a long solo ride.

Nick

Nah, I'm slow is **** at the moment and I'm doing 15.4mph avg on a 20 mile commute on a Pompino with a full pannier.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Depends, I base my commuting time on 40min to cover 6 miles on the tourer (and arrive sweat free), to average 15mph you'd need to be hammering on a fair bit, I only ever averaged 16 on the road bike on a long solo ride.

You're kidding, surely? Mind you, arriving sweat free explains a lot. I used to average 17 on a slick'd MTB over 20 miles with traffic, but I suppose I certainly didn't arrive sweat free 🙂

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Hi squarewheels, which Wiltshire town are you?

I'm in Bath, doing my Level 3 Bikeability Training at the moment, immersed in the aforementioned 'Cyclecraft' and more than happy to do some riding with you – give you some practical tips

ART

Stick with it squarewheels – loads of good advice here. I've always ridden a wee bit offensively on the road, tis in my nature 😉 Look like you own it, no kerb hugging, position yourself like a car at junctions, look drivers in the eye, including making them aware that you know they are behind you/ passing etc. Oh and thank people who give you space, wait to pass etc – we have to do something to build the rep of cyclists on the road. I commute – when I can be bothered, so 2-3 times a week at the most, across a bit of Wilts, and like others avoid the A road and use the back lanes – and the lovely kennet and avon canal to keep off the worst bits. Some training to build confidence may defo be worth it, and think of all the benefits that cycling even this short journey gives you. I often struggle with not being arsed to ride to work, but can guarantee I feel better for having done so.

zaskar
    Free Member

I feel better after riding to work battling through traffic is a buzz but not for everyone!

Wear bright colours, pannier, lights and change your departure time/route.

JACKTHELAD
    Free Member

you need to look ahead digest what is up ahead and cater for it before you reach the situation.For eg parked van, move out early to a position if the driver opened his door you will not be knocked off your bike,by moving out early you have told the car drivers behind that you are going to overtake the van.If you see a situation on the pavement, maybe a few young lads that could maybe toss stuff or someone maybe walking at an angle to cross the road then you give yourself an escape route by moving more central in the road.If you see a junction coming up then look behind and up front to see if any cars will be taking that turning.Basically looking digesting the situation and anticipating the situation.Another eg I remember once being out on the motorbike on a country road and looked to the left to see a church up on a hill,I then looked at the time and it was about 11 something.So I inticipated that cars would be coming out of a driveway to the church which was around the next bend.I slowed my speed slightly and sure enough cars where leaving the church.As I said look ahead and see if there are any vehicle even parked on the other side of the road forcing traffic out towards your side of the road.By looking digesting and inticipation you will cater for any incident on the road.

basically reading the road.

hope this has helped

jackthelad

alpin
    Free Member

also worth learning to look over your shoulder/ seeing 180deg behind you without losing your line.

ride out from the kerb. make eye contact. be curteous.

Taff
    Free Member

I used to commute 10 miles to work and there's one long road in Portsmouth where the road is only narrow enough for a car and bike. The amount of times I got clipped because people didn't have a clue. Used to get really narked and hit one persons car after they did it twice. Can't avoid the worktime mood but I could ride along the coast line and up some quieter roads to go home. Took longer but I could swItch off.

On a funnier note my director had pannier and a plastic spike painted to look like metal with a small sign the said something like acme paint scratcher… He never had problems. Rather ironicthough that he apparently hit a cyclist whilst driving one day!!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This is my 10 mile commute, door to door. I just have to negotiate the walkers.

Kevevs
    Free Member

If these drivers are *really* impinging on my space to the point that they are *really* endangering my life with their car – I find I shit myself enough to bash their windows & kick mirrors in outrage. They soon either zoom off, seeing a total mental cyclist going at them, or stop to get out to have a go, by that time, I've f**ked off any other way quickfast!

corroded
    Free Member

I gave up riding in London. I might be a wuss, but I simply didn't feel safe enough for it to be worth doing. The thought of a potential confrontation also put me off. Cycle commuting shouldn't have to be about about entering a warzone every morning wearing special clothing and helmets or being psyched up and 'defensive'.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

user-removed – Member
    Lots of excellent advice to which I would add, get yourself one of those reflecors-on-a-stick. They stick out about a foot to the right of your bike. Make you look a bit daft but really do work. When I had one on my commuter it made a massive difference to my perceived size – cars would skirt waaaaay round me and stopped overtaking dangerously.

No-one wants their paintwork scratched. I've had a quick google but can't find any for sale – Halfords

If really want drivers to leave you room then get a trailer as they tend to drive on the other side of the road from it as it a fair bit wider than a bike. It may slow you down a bit though 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Help – on the verge of giving up cycle commute :O(’ is closed to new replies.