Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Help on how to move a lathe
  • TheDTs
    Free Member

I have a chain block in Avonmouth which you can borrow if it helps

Van with tail lift up the drive slide / roll on tubes onto drive. Along path slide up tubes over step. Job jobbeb.
    Ps I have managed to tip a lathe over on a flat workshop floor.

spandex_bob

500kg on rollers should be doable, maybe with ‘rails’ to run on in the direction of travel to help with gaps and lumps. Any trees you can anchor a hoist / pulley to in the back garden? Or ground anchor like 3-2-1 arrangement? Step should be possible by lifting one side at a time (trolley jack) and adding thin sheet to build up to size of step. Have engine crane, chain hoist, trolley jack, even some big industrial casters if you want to borrow, only in sunny Malvern so not too far away.

fruitbat

I moved my Colchester Student by bolting it to a trolley with 4 swiveling castors. While it was most definitely top heavy it was very manoeuverable with care and sufficient bodies.

maccruiskeen

Van with tail lift up the drive

Take the van up the drive and you’ll be struggling against the same incline – just inside a van. You’ll also have to turn the lathe side-on to that incline to get it out onto the tail-lift.

Having lots of friends to have is a bonus – but keep in mind theres real foot crushing opportunities to have with a tail lift, especially if theres heavy/difficult stuff being handled and needs to be kept steady as the lift moves. People’s focus will be on the lathe and they won’t be thinking about where their feet are.

Thats as much the case as the lift goes up as down – theres a nice guillotine action between the lift and the back of the van as the lift goes up.

WTF
    Free Member

Have to move machinery on a regular basis for machine shop I work for and have used all sorts of methods to do so.What type of lathe is it?
    Going up that slope is hardest part but using skates would be a disaster on that.
    My idea would be to take it off pallet use some bar either on a rolling method or skid method and winch it up drive if you can find suitable fixing point for said winch.Worst case where winch rope snapped it would only move a few feet at most.The step I would lift it up a bit at a time until level with where its going and then move it rather than a ramp.
    The same round pathway but without winch and use pinch bar to inch it along.
    May take a while but it will get there.
    Or get a big crane to do it.

GrahamS

If you need some inspiration once you finally have it in position:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaRY-58a60A[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ExQ4utHEo[/video]

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Help on how to move a lathe’ is closed to new replies.