Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Help. Not as described purchase. What would you do??
  • finners

Doesnt help me much though. To make matters worse i have even sold a complete road bike to the seller. I had it boxed up and couriered to him in 2 days. So hopefully he knows i am true to my word. I gave him exceptional service (no sniggering please 🙂 ) so would expect the same in return.

thekingofsweden

Why not get the engineering company to helicoil the thread as required it's not a difficult job I would probably do all four while I was there
    It's not an uncommon failure on those brakes and threads sometimes go as a bolt is removed not always as it's tightened.
    Get some new pads and go for a ride :-))
    There's still no excuse for not replying by the seller but leaving things that long !

Used does mean used and sometimes bargains ain't as good as we hope.

Xylene
    Free Member

Used does mean used and sometimes bargains ain't as good as we hope

Very true. You think she's going to be a firecracker in bed because she's been around the block a few times, but it turns out she is a starfish.

finners

thankyou for your valuable input Quirrel…. 😆

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

If the guy's "dealing" in used parts he's got to conform to the Sale of Goods act.
    There's a subsection of the act c.1984 entitled "implied terms" which states "Goods sold must be of satisfactory quality for a period of up to but not exceeding 90 days after the date of purchase.
    For new items it is "implied". But in this case the seller has stated the goods are in VGC in a public forum. So there's your proof.
    Depending on the type of outfit he's running, I don't think he's going to want Trading Standards and the Inland Revenue on his case.
    I@m not sure how the law applies if it's just a private sale, and it's going to be difficult to prove anything but you could go to small claims court. From what I've seen, dodgy sellers rely on the fact that it's such a pain in the nads to chase them for your money back and most people give up.
    I guess it depends how far you want to take it. But it could be worth giving Consumer Direct a call to find out out what your rights actually are.
    Best of luck with it.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Skyline – I think that you are getting the wrong end of the stick with 'trading'.

He is someone who funds his biking hobby by buying bikes and splitting them for a profit. There is no law against it. However it is frowned upon on the forum.

Again just to reiterate. I and a friend have bought off him with no problems and he's also a nice guy. Communication is a bit slow sometimes but he will come back to you. Failing email me and I may have some further details.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

By definition he's trading in used goods. Repeatedly selling goods for profit is classed as a business. I'm not against someone making a couple of quid from selling parts to fund a new bike. The government have other ideas though. And doing it in such a public way is sure to attract the wrong kind of attention at some point.
    I'd have thought it'd be in his best interests to keep his customers happy. Because if you piss off the wrong person with the right knowledge of the law it can open up a whole can of worms with the taxman.
    If I was in this situation, I'd be keen to sort it out without too much fuss for my reputation at least.
    When I sell my used parts on, it's usually at a loss because I make sure they work properly before passing them on. Particularly on safety critical components like brakes.
    Where there's blame……
    I don't want to be responsible for injuries, let alone be sued for it.
    You've got to cover your ass ets.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I think that you are being overly serious. I seriously doubt that the government would be interested in the said person buying and selling a few 2nd hand bikes. It's not a business.Stop being so dramatic.

Where there's blame…- I tell you what. I'll sell you some shit brakes. When YOU have fitted them to YOUR bike and they fail good luck coming after me in any legal way. The legal repercussions just aren't there.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Used does mean used and sometimes bargains ain't as good as we hope
    Very true. You think she's going to be a firecracker in bed because she's been around the block a few times, but it turns out she is a starfish.

she's givin up the starfish? – horny bitch!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Drac – Member

I also check it straight away but don't always fit them for awhile as can be for future projects.

So freeform is bustafa ok. Mind I bought a frame from Bustfa way back and it was in excellent condition but he was very very slow in sending it out. He's definitely trade though.

As i actually KNOW him i can 100% assure you he is NOT a trader – he buys bikes to get parts he wants cheaper and flogs the rest on. We all know that a full bike is cheaper than parts

hora
    Free Member

Doesnt help me much though. To make matters worse i have even sold a complete road bike to the seller. I had it boxed up and couriered to him in 2 days. So hopefully he knows i am true to my word. I gave him exceptional service (no sniggering please ) so would expect the same in return.

In the mens public toilets when you give a man a reach around and he comes, hes less inclined to finish you off properly afterwards…

sailor74
    Free Member

2nd hand gear is bought as seen, if its posted then it is reasonable for the seller to assume all is ok within a few days of receipt, this certainly shouldnt take more than a week. Even if you dont intend to fit an item properly you can still give it a good check over. Otherwise how long is the seller supposed to hang on for before considering the sale completed? Private sellers are not businesses, 28 day return policys dont apply, nor do they offer 3 month warranties against defects etc. Add to that people selling used gear are usually doing it because they need the cash then its unlikely to still be available some 6 weeks later.
    Buying 2nd hand will always have an element of risk, the items are used and you dont know what sort of abuse they have been put through, and as mentioned already there is no warranty etc. However you are paying a fraction of the original RRP, this is what makes the deal so attractive.

So, my advice is to check items as soon as they arrive and take up any issues immediately. If they fail after a few weeks then you have probably been unlucky but this is the risk you take if you dont want to pay shop prices.

As far as what to do now with these brake, a local bike shop should be able to cut a slightly bigger thread and you can buy a replacement larger bolt from a DIY shop. Brake pads are consumables so as long as there is some use left in them then there isnt too much you can do about it.

finners

sailor74, have you read the op?

freeform5spot
    Free Member

Neil

Responded to your email yesterday. Have been away for a while hence lack of response.

Sorry you felt the need to air grievencess on the forum.

I stand by my original description of the item and the offer to send new branded Juicy pads out to you.

The brakes came off my own bike and, as you said in your email, mechanically are fine. The ad that there were chips and photos were sent. As for the issue with the threads, it was not noticed or I would have stated it it. there was no issue with it fitting correctly or when loosened and removed from the bars of my bike.

In your email you said that someone off here (no prizes for who!) kindly sent you all my details. However, you have my email and mobile number so I dont know the relevance of that statement to be honest.

As stated in my email, perhaps the best way to resolve is through the small claims process so that they can act as an arbitrator.

pastcaring
    Free Member

buyer beware! you should of checked more carefully. after all it was used.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Agree with caveat emptor etc, but feel that the classifieds are too open to abuse.

Suggestion for STW forum bods, perhaps some parts (brakes as an example) shouldn't be sold via classfieds due to risk of failiure etc, and sellers can then use the likes of e-bay to dispose of such items?

I've accumulated various Formula disc brakes over the last year or so, none have been usuable in their entirity, a situation that I'm not entirely unhappy with as I wanted spares more than usable brakes anyway.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

surely the issue is description. one persons VGC may not be someone elses and can cause grief.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

missing, arguably most bike parts are critical. I'd rather have a brake fail than a bar/stem snap! I know of motorcycle forums that ban helmet sales but nothing more.

I have no axe to grind with FF5spot, but he is clearly a "trader" in as much as he buys stuff purely with the intention of selling it on. A brief scan of his posting history shows 25 FS threads in 2 months. If someone buys a bike off ebay cos they just want, say, the wheels and then break up and sell the bits, the seller cannot vouch for the item's service/use/abuse/maintenance history other than to comment on appearance.

there is no feedback function here but it is easy enough for potential buyers to review a sellers history, see if theres any chasing-up or gripe posts, or to even email a buyer for feedback if they chose.

thatsmyyeti
    Free Member

If this guys not a trader then I'm a monkeys uncle
    Look at his history on here
    He practically owns the classifieds
    He's only been posting on the bike forum since this thread surfaced

Any comments about selling the odd bike to fund his hobby Is laughable

Look at his history
    He must have made thousands last year

He's a bit quieter in 2010 for sure so must have found a new outlet without the abuse that running an Arthur Daley business on here for as years would bring

Or has he done a dr who and regenerated a new ID lol

MS
    Free Member

No point in STW regulating the classifieds, then they would have to start charging for it, which is what we don't want!

Check items over when you get them even if not fitting. Then ping a mail back to the seller saying all is well / or not well. Personally if no mail within a 2 weeks of selling then that is that. Tough crap if they haven't fitted them, can't hold onto the money for ever.

Seems like seller has offered a pretty good option to you and if he did not notice any problems when taking them off then you just have to take his word for it.

If you want items that are perfect condition – pay full price in a shop. Then if any problems they have the cashflow to refund / replace. Private sellers are not usually in it to make monet but to fund old / un-needed bits to but new shiny bits!

Woody
    Free Member

In the mens public toilets when you give a man a reach around and he comes, hes less inclined to finish you off properly afterwards…

The bitter voice of experience………………………

uplink
    Free Member

just out of interest 5spot – are you a trader?

by that, I mean buying stuff with the intention of selling it on for a profit?

freeform5spot
    Free Member

er no I'm not.

but I am borderline OCD about all things bikes and their bits!

Woody
    Free Member

thatsmyyeti – yes, you appear to have a point and from what you and others have said it does seem that FFS is trading and possibly using, how can I put this, less than scrupulous methods of obtaining goods at a reasonable price.

As has been said above, buying a bike supposedly for 'bits for another build' and selling the rest on such a regular basis is definitely constitutes trading.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

by that, I mean buying stuff with the intention of selling it on for a profit?

So what if he is? I've done it. I funded my Lyriks buying and selling bike parts from mates/eBay/STW classifides.

I can bought 2 pairs of forks for £40 & £75, serviced them and sold them on for £95 and £155 (good prices) in prefect working order, and I see nothing at all wrong with it, sorry. 🙂

MS
    Free Member

I wouldn't class freeform5spot as a trader!

Just someone who likes changing bike bits a lot. Pretty sure there is a lot of folk on here that would be classed as traders if ff5s is!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Did the jury decide on the OP?

IMO there's no way you can strip threads by removing bolts without knowing about it, so it seems the brakes were mis-described.

Woody
    Free Member

I change my bikes a lot but rarely make a profit. By profit I do not necessarily mean gaining financially in 'hard cash' but by gaining in asset value ie. a bike which is worth more than the initial value prior to commencing trade.

Edit> PP nothing wrong with that and it's swings and roundabouts for most people on here. The point is that at the level FFS is doing it, it should come under a different classification, especially when the goods are knowingly mis-sold or he misrepresents himself to buyers and sellers alike.

uplink
    Free Member

So what if he is?

Er…. nothing [does there have to be?], simply asking to clear things up

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I agree with Al – the key point is the stripped thread making the brake unusable therefore valueless.

A stripped thread is very obvious when a part is dismantled.

cynic-al
    Free Member

And is the seller bustafajones and did he hump lots of buyers?

Oh and what happened to that guy that DID hump lots of buyers and got gifted stw's biggest ever thread?

backhander
    Free Member

For once I agree with TJ. You could not describe something in good condition if it is not functional. That said, the OP should have checked them sooner. Full refund and no hard feelings IMO.

sssimon
    Free Member

I wouldn't take parts for free off Freeformfivespot, I've had history with him but that's what the search facility is for

but 4 weeks after receiving a second hand part and 7 weeks before you decide to sort it out is a joke, if you want new buy new, I got caught out but you live and learn

Xylene
    Free Member

Does freeformfivespot post on Bikeradar as Scotts5e or something like that?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A stripped thread is very obvious when a part is dismantled

I beg to differ. It's only obvious when you come to do it up again!

What thread was stripped again? Hang on a minute………

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Right, I've had a reread of the OP

but the worst part is the one of the clamp bolt holes is bored(?) and wont bite

I'm assuming that's lever clamp?

D'ya know what I'd do? I'd go bolt hunting for one a bit longer or with a different thread pitch.

Sometimes a longer bolt will find a purchase on it's own (This is how my back brake caliper is currently held on, and has been for a year or more!)
    Sometimes you can put a nut on the other end (Did this on a stripped Hope disc thread)
    Sometimes a finer thread will bite in a stripped one

That doesn't really help though does it? 😉

freeform5spot
    Free Member

I agree with TJ too. A stripped thread would have been obvious.

From memory (and it is going back 10 weeks now I guess), the bolts were loosened but not removed when taking off my bike and i dont recall re-tightening them before posting out.

thatsmyyeti
    Free Member

I just can't get over the cheek!!!

20 odd pages selling xtr xo chris king boutique bikes and general carbon fiber lovelyness just to fund your hobby?

Over to you again I think

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Help. Not as described purchase. What would you do??’ is closed to new replies.