Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Help – Noob needs help with a road / cx bike.
  • clubber
    Free Member

I ride most of my road miles on a CX bike with road tyres. It’s fine/great. I love my proper road bike but it’s not some massive difference. The proper road bike is just a touch twitchier and has a slightly longer/lower position.

No idea what CX geometry is tbh

Very approximately, 1cm shorter top tube for a given size, slightly longer chainstays, 1ish degree slacker head angle.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So how can you be so sure that it will be crap on the road, compared to a road bike, if you don’t even know what the differences are?

I dont know the geometry of an Orange patriot either but will make the same “guess” 😉

TiRed

Well he said he fancied a single road/CX bike that can do it all. For me that would mean a second set of wheels and tyres and alternative gearing would take priority over brake format. Perhaps not for you. The CdF is what would reasonably be called a tourer, but that is so unfashionable these days. Nice ride, I’m sure, but I prefer something that feels a little more race bike, personally.

WRT geometry; the CAADX has almost the same geometry as the CAAD8 road bike. A 72 degree head angle vs. 73 degrees, is about it. Same top tube, head tube and wheelbase. The tubing is clearly the same profiled aluminium and the welds are errr best described as agricultural (compared with early ‘dales).

GrahamS

I dont know the geometry of an Orange patriot either but will make the same “guess”

Yeah, but that’s apples and oranges. Whereas you’d have to have a pretty keen eye to differentiate a CX bike and a road bike from a distance.

As clubber says, it’s a centimetre here and a a couple of degrees there.

e.g. Rose Pro DX Cross 4400 versus Rose Xeon DX 4400 (road bike):

lowey

^^did he just say 55kgs??” a bike that weighs 55KG??!! surely not.

As for fashion I’m not arsed if its a tourer, cx or some other name,,, i just want something that will fit my requirements noted in the op.

Thanks for all your comments… very helpful cheers (except Junkoh-no-ive-wrecked-a-perfectly-good-bikeYards’s, obviously).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Give it a couple of years and I’m sure you’ll see a different picture.

I’m less than convinced,

CX- yes
    commuting – maybe/yes, I’d prefer a commuter to be cheep and simple
    winter – maybe/yes I f****** hate crap weather, I’d rather do 2×20 on the turbo, but can se the appeal on a kaffencback
    Racers – no, appart from changes to rims where’s the advantage, and any tiny advantage gained from fully aero rims is going to be canceled out by the callipers?

The stuff from colnago, pinarello etc are just marketing IMO, make a goog looking bike with disks and every magazine int he world want’s to print a pic, brilliant advertising! How many C59 disks do you actualy think will be sold?

D0NK

is it me or does this rose 4400 look like it’s got 200mm discs on it?

i had assumed it was with loaded panniers.

Not like you fat bastards well build tall fellas will get much of a tow from me at the front

something that occured to me the other day when considering the C2C….

that will definitely get done at some point
    Im sure of it

clubber
    Free Member

You’re wrong jy – just accept it and don’t make yourself look silly 😉

GrahamS

is it me or does this rose 4400 look like it’s got 200mm discs on it?

Are you looking at “The Configurator” view? – that shows all the components as you have selected but doesn’t get the scale quite right (not sure if that is on purpose to highlight the difference or just plain wrong).

If you click the spanners you can change components and your choices are reflected in the pic. If you click the little camera icon you can see a proper photo of a built-up bike (but not necessarily featuring the components you have selected).

Germans!

avdave2

Sorry what I saying in a not very clear way was that there is only 55KG of me which means a heavier bike has quite a substantial effect on my overall power to weight ratio.

zilog6128

Sorry what I saying in a not very clear way was that there is only 55KG of me which means a heavier bike has quite a substantial effect on my overall power to weight ratio.

Of course the other way of looking at it is that you’re still doing substantially less work than me on my lightweight carbon jobbie…

avdave2

commuting – maybe/yes, I’d prefer a commuter to be cheep and simple

My off road commuter has a v brake on the back and a BB7 on the front – I know which one I consider to be simpler to set up and maintain and I can see no reason that cable disks should not be able to compete on price with any rim brake that actually works especially if you offset the cost of the rotor itself against the cost of worn rims.

As for real road bikes if the UCI sanction them for road racing you can guarantee that Sky for one will fully test them and let the science decide whether to use them or not.

aazlad
    Free Member

Cotic >X<. Love mine.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Help – Noob needs help with a road / cx bike.’ is closed to new replies.