Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Help – Nice pub with rooms in Yorkshire dales
  • sandwicheater

The Mrs and I have been gifted a day/night away from the kids Saturday 2nd September.

Need to find a place that’s got some descent walking near by, have accommodation and will put food in our mouth holes.

Any recommendations? Don’t mind a B&B provided a descent pub near by.

My google is weak. Soooo much choice and we don’t know the area very well.

footflaps

Muker in Swaledale is lovely – B&Bs plus nice local pub (Farmer’s Arms).

http://www.farmersarmsmuker.co.uk/swaledale-bed-and-breakfast

I am biased though, own a cottage there.

globalti
    Free Member

Descent walking? Descent pub? There aren’t any chairlifts in the Dales so you’ll need to walk up before the descent.

Askrigg is a nice wee village and has the King’s Arms, I’ve drunk a few in there.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Also try the Wensleydale Heifer in West Witton

sandwicheater

Thanks guys, they look just the ticket.

Sadly no bikes, is sad.

martinhutch

Craven Arms at Appletreewick is one of my favourites. Great food and lovely walks from there. Accommodation isn’t your standard rooms though!

johndoh
    Free Member

Appletreewick doesn’t feel very ‘Dalesy’ though – I would be going to Askrigg or Malham (Lister Arms) – some great walking to be had from Malham and perhaps the most spectacular views with the walk up and around the cove.

Or there’s Clapham (not sure about accommodation there though) with the great walk up past Gaping Gill and onto Ingleborough Hill.

martinhutch

Appletreewick doesn’t feel very ‘Dalesy’ though

If you say so!

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Dales Mountain bike centre at Reeth is well placed for walking or riding , has rooms and food and is walking distance from several good pubs, nearest on the bridge has good beer and food, others in town centre are also good .Run by Stuart who is friendly and helpful

rogermoore

+1 for Muker.
    RM.

monkfish
    Free Member

Whilst the DBC is an excellent base and set up I don’t think it would be my first point of call if it was a weekend away with the missus sans kids.

ahsat

The Blue Lion at Wensleydale. I’ve never been, but my Mum does their marketing for them and says its very nice (thats my parents dog in the video roll on the front page!). Well placed for great walking. Muker is lovely but not sure on places to stay.

footflaps

Muker is lovely but not sure on places to stay.

Pub does B&B, village store does B&B, a few other B&Bs in the village eg Bridge House B&B.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Not stayed my self but the buck inn at buckden always looks reasonable or the George in Hubberholme langstrothdale is a lovely spot and excellent for walking

ahsat

Muker is lovely but not sure on places to stay.
    Pub does B&B, village store does B&B, a few other B&Bs in the village.

Agreed – but only drunk in the Farmers (which is great) which is my point. Dont know them to stay in. Only know the Blue Lion from my Mums recommendation and that it was Inn of the Year in 2014.

kcal

Blue Lion. as above.

when we didn’t have kids, we used to stay in Bellerby, bike over and get fed – then wobble home.
    We turned up one autumn, after visiting in spring – barmaid said “pint of Landlord again” which was impressive..

footflaps

Dont know them to stay in.

I just look on Trip Advisor…

We just stay in our cottage, which appears in all the postcards…

allthegear
    Free Member

I want someone to go to the Falcon at Arncliffe and tell me what the rooms are like since it was all done up. Might be a nice spot?

Rachel

ahsat

So do I, but the OP was looking for personal recommendations. I was just adding that I liked Muker…

As you clearly do too 😛

RustySpanner

Stayed at Carperby, Askrigg, Reeth, Muker, and Gunnerside.
    All great places with excellent, dog and kid friendly pubs (not sure if the pub in Gunnerside is open at the mo?), good food, great walking, very friendly.

Don’t think you can go wrong around there, tbh, it’s all pretty lovely.

porlus
    Free Member

Sand piper inn at leyburn is very nice. It’s got excellent food and a couple of nice looking rooms. Serves a decent pint as well. Leyburn is a good spot too. Plenty to do there and good base to explore from. Forbidden corner a shift drive away. Nice circular walk from leyburn to wensley (nice pub at the bottle of the hill on the way back to leyburn too)

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

fair play monkfish, I was thinking from a biking perspective rather than romantic/ marital unpleasantness aspect of the weekend

johndoh
    Free Member

If you say so!

Well yes, it is only my opinion but it is right on the edge and there isn’t a great deal around there, just pretty featureless hills and a little river. I honestly have never understood why people like it (and I know it pretty well as it is in the middle of one of my all time favourite local MTB routes).

teenrat

George and Dragon in Dent – brewery tap for Dent ales as well.

JAG

I’ve stayed at The White Lion Inn just outside Kettlewell. Nice pub with good, clean and modern rooms.

A beautiful location and lovely walks from nearby.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

it pretty well as it is in the middle of one of my all time favourite local MTB routes

What routes that? I’ve always thought the mtb riding was a bit dull around there

cheekyboy
    Free Member

We once had chicken in a basket at the red lion in Burnsall !

It was very good, saw a huge rainbow trout in the River Wharfe (finest River in the UK) it must have escaped from the trout farm upstream at Kilnsey.

The Yorkshire Dales are wasted on Yorkshiremen…….ah tell thi ! 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

What routes that? I’ve always thought the mtb riding was a bit dull around there

Park up on the main road (just by Stump Cross) and ride towards Grassington for about 1/2 a mile turning left where the sign for Appletreewick and Parceval Hall is (IIRC) then turning right on a farm track which takes you down to the road near Appletreewick (near the campsite) then on to Parceval Hall where you climb back up a road which turns into a track halfway up. Then there is a fast descent (at Black Hill I think, according to NYCC ROW map) back to the start. It’s only short (about 8 miles) but it’s the best *local* trail for me and including sticking my bike in the car, driving there, doing the ride and getting back, can be done in 2 hours (I live in Harrogate). I think I got the route from MTB magazine about 25 years ago 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

..ah tell thi !

Tha can aways tell a Yorkshire man, but tha can’t tell im much

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Blue Lion at East Witton would be my first choice, Wensleydale Heifer 2nd. kings arms at askrigg is pretty decent but not sure it has accom.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Bookmarking for the same reasons as OP

petec
    Free Member

we stayed here last year for a few days. Thought it was lovely, and would definitely go again

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bookmarked too!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I live in Harrogate)

I vaguely know the rout your saying, but I’d say there is more fun riding in Harrogate than that !

johndoh
    Free Member

but I’d say there is more fun riding in Harrogate than that

I just like the two relatively fast descents (the one into Apt’wick and the final one back to the start point).

lowey

New Inn, Clapham Lovely building, fine ale and fine food.

Wooley Sheep in Skipton

Feathers, Helmsley

All three are bloody brilliant.

sandwicheater

Thanks one and all. Most of the suggestions were booked for the weekend in question but managed to find a B&B in Muker.

Some lovely places to work my way through. Looks like a cracking area.

Bikes next time.

Houns

Tempest Arms Elsack (to add to list for others)

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Feathers, Helmsley

Helmsley? That’s nowhere near the Yorkshire Dales…

I’d say Kettlewell – a couple of good pubs that have accommodation, and fantastic walks nearby like Buckden Pike and Great Whearnside.

whitestone
    Free Member

Elslack ain’t in the Dales! Excellent pub though it is.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Help – Nice pub with rooms in Yorkshire dales’ is closed to new replies.