Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)
  • Help!! Nervy Girl Rider :(
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

lot of the SPD v Flats thing comes down to macho BS and snobbery

Don't agree at all. I pedal better with SPDs – it's as simple as that.

On XC, pedalling is more important than dabbing so I use SPDs. On more DH oriented stuff, dabbing is more important than pedalling so I prefer flats.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

lot of the SPD v Flats thing comes down to macho BS and snobbery

Don't agree at all. I pedal better with SPDs – it's as simple as that.

On XC, pedalling is more important than dabbing so I use SPDs. On more DH oriented stuff, dabbing is more important than pedalling so I prefer flats.

bowglie

bowglie, how tight do you/did you have your spd's!?

Pretty much the minimum tension possible – newish XT type SPD's, but quite gritty & muddy cleats!

Still feel that flats are the best bet for anyone who's a bit nervy. I mean, why make it more difficult for yourself?!(seems to be a perverse British trait!). The other thing with flats is that they really help you focus on using proper footwork & weight distribution.

My advice to the OP would be to get the SPD's off and chuck 'em in the back of the shed…flats rule 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CurlyGurl
    Free Member

I am L O V I N G this people! 😀 You are all marvellous x

So much helpful advice, I am so glad I posted.

TJ and Jackal – I'm glad you guys have made up 😉 I can see the 'crashing' thing from both perspectives.
    I don't particularly want to crash, but I must admit, I have thought to myself in the past that I should just accept that I will and get over it. Once it's not such a 'huge' thing in my mind, I shouldn't be as scared of it.

I did the same with spiders – I used to leave the room whenever I saw one and scream for it to be vamooshed, but then I got into gardening and exposed myself to them regularly; even though I'm still scared of them now, I'm not calling my poor husband home from work to remove them and can generally leave them pottering around the house – as long as they're not too close to me! And they're not too mahoosive. 😐

I figure it's the same with falling off: once I've done it a few times (not deliberately!) and survived, I may be less scared about it. Hopefully.

Am definitely going to look into those multi release cleats! I may also get some decent grippy shoes and try flats again for a while – maybe switch between the two as a few other people appear to do on here. I can see the sense in that, and by doing that I'll hopefully eventually find out which is right for me 🙂

nedrapier – you did make me chuckle! 😆 As for the pre-ride drinkies: I'm not sure anyone really wants to see 'Friday Night CurlyGurl' on the trails – noone deserves that on their Sunday bike ride! Plus, I can't dance too well when I'm clipped in… 😉

Thanks again guys and gals x x 🙂

gazman
    Free Member

curlygurl, i will second manchester mountain bikers, they run begginers rides in the evenings if you google them and then join you will be able to see the calender of rides that are available, all the ride leaders are friendly and helpful and theres no pressure too, where you from btw,
    gazman

CountZero

Very interesting thread, this, and has shown quite clearly wherever you get more than one mountain biker you'll get more than one opinion. Re SPuDs, I started riding using toeclips, and had my own technique for getting out which involved twisting my foot hard outwards and pulling back, which was second nature when I bought my SuperVee 3000 which came with spuds fitted. Up until around five years ago I rode with spuds, then started riding more technical trails in the FoD and Wales, where spuds started to make me feel very uncertain, so I fitted a pair of DMR's to my bike, which I'd already been using on my SS, which gave me more confidence as I could stick a foot out quickly to help stop a fall. It must be said, however, that a fall can happen at any time. The last fall I had was riding into town on a damp road, turning onto a shared-use path when both wheels went out putting me onto the Tarmac, leaving me with a very painful knee, bruising, a grazed face and leg and damaged Howies jacket. I was doing barely three miles per hour, walking pace! It was the most damage I've done in twelve years, so riding off-road, with quality gear and under circumstances where you are expecting a tumble may happen and are prepared for it you'll find that you'll probably enjoy yourself a lot more. Just ride loose, have fun, ride at a pace that is comfortable for you, stop frequently and enjoy the view, the sounds and the smells. Just being on a bike out in the countryside is enjoyment in itself, and when you feel ready you can attempt more challenging stuff, but only if you feel like attempting it. An ordinary urban environment can be more challenging than the countryside, so get out into it and just enjoy the hell out of it. It's not a race, my role-model in mountain biking is Mint Sauce, so that might give you some idea of how challenging I like my biking. 😀

CurlyGurl
    Free Member

I'm in Leicestershire – middle of everywhere, close to nowhere!

crazy-legs

I've kind of skim read most of the posts on here. I think the talking about equipment, what pedals etc is an aside form the main issue. Same with stuff like manualling, bunnyhopping etc, it's all advanced technique that can take months if not years to master.

From the sound of things you've got a nice bike, a supportive husband and some mates who ride. Perfect! Don't worry about the rest just yet.
    The key thing is finding trails that *just* push the envelope. Too hard or too easy and it'll either freak you out completely or bore you senseless!

Find a nice route that complements your skills and pushes you to improve, do it with some supportive friends and you'll be flying in no time. Sherwood Pines is ace for this, a great venue fairly local to you. Thetford as well.

Everyone had to start somewhere – that rider seamlessy flowing down the hillside was once falling off outside their front door the first time they tried SPDs!

I'd say give the Skills Day thing another try. I've been to Sherwood Pines with AQR and thought they were excellent. There was a huge range of ability there from me and another guy who'd both raced at Expert level in National series right down to a girl who was on her bike for only the third time. We ALL learnt something that day, we all improved. And it was graded perfectly, no macho bullshit, no patronising attitude, just a willingness from everyone to improve.
    £20 spent on improving the rider is worth £200 on new shiny kit for the bike.

Good luck with it, enjoy your riding! See you at a 24hr solo next year… 😉

Susie
    Free Member

I'm in Leicestershire – middle of everywhere, close to nowhere!

Me too! And not a great choice of legal off road trails.

mj
    Free Member

I've never tried SPDs so can't comment on that but I will say i love(!!!) my 5.10s (even though my best mate called them FUGLY), they stick like glue to my pedals (shimano DX)

Spiky pedals have scarred my knees/shins, some spectcular crashes resulting in no injuries but still ending up with blood oozing from where my pedals got me!! My solution to this has been Kyle Strait 661 knee pads – actually nice and comfy – you barely notice your wearing them after a while!

bomberman
    Free Member

Can't be bothered to read the whole thread.

My top tips –

1) Concentrate on being smooth and speed will come. Don't grab suddenly at the brakes as it'll get you into trouble! I've only had about 3 bad crashes ever and they've all involved the front brakes. clearing obstacles is better done with a bit of momentum so allow yourself to roll in a controlled way.

2) Allow yourself to take small leaps of faith. Picture yourself clearing the obstacle in your mind. It's one thing seeing someone else do something but until you know you can do it there will always be that element of doubt in your mind. If you can imagine how you are going to tackle an obstacle it will help bridge the gap making it easier to commit to the unknown.

Once you've decided how to do something roll it smooth with enough momentum to take you through without wobbling. and once you've commited remember not to grab the brakes suddenly!

Happy mountain biking.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

I'm pretty much with crazy-legs, the equipment and specifics are pretty much irrelevant here, the best advice I can give is to enjoy yourself, but at the same time accept that you will scare yourself too. It's not about pushing yourself to the edge and beyond, but if you want to improve you do need to push yourself that little bit every time you ride. Can you get through that gap without dabbing, can you get up that climb without pushing, can you hit that jump without casing it, can you take that corner without the little confidence brake you really want to do but know you shouldn't? Ride with people who are better/faster/fitter than you, ask questions, watch what they do. Ask their advice, people generally will be flattered and more than glad to help. Session stuff, just ride it again and again until you make it/frustrate yourself/get really sketchy or crash, BUT know when to quit, it'll still be there next time!

Tess
    Free Member

I've concluded trying to ride over technical stuff in the wet is just asking for trouble so when you go out and practise pick a nice dry day. Self belief and confidence is good, riding with better riders and practising stuff over and over again is all good. Mainly it's a confidence and self belief thing I think. But aint it great when you manage a technical bit you haven't done before!

coffeeking
    Free Member

My one piece of advice – hit everything apart from jumps faster than you think is safe, it'll be more controlled and you'll clear more things, and braking on things is the best way to fall off. Crashing isnt too bad so long as you're not doing 20+ and land on concrete. Being attached to the bike makes sod all difference in a crash, so spds dont physically cause a problem, but mentally they can provide a block. Practice technical stuff on flats, do long rides on spds as they give you about 25% better endurance.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Leicestershire here too (waves) and ride regularly with cyclists from the fairer sex.

Like coffeeking says, the big thing is to remember that crashing isn;t usually that bad. The worst thing to do is freeze up and panic if you feel unsure, i've had friends that are constantly injured because the moment they are unsure they freeze up and fall over awkwardly. basic martial arts skills are supposed to be good for learning how to fall.

ignore all the techy stuff about specific skills on here for now, they'll just confuse you until they come naturally. most bike 'skills' like manualling etc come to you naturally anyway. if someone shouts 'manual up that rock' then all that will happen is you will try and do a manual, not ride up a rock. confusion just leads to panic and panic to what i said above.

give a women only training day a go, try something run by the likes of Tracey Moseley. Riding with and getting training and encouragement from members of the same sex is bound to be a big help.

crazy-legs

Another thing about a Skills Day – most of them will provide assistance and advice in bike set-up. SO many people out on the trails have a really nice expensive bike which just isn't set up right and a decent tutor will be able to pick up on that and help correct it.
    It's not the upgrade-itis thing that a lot of folk seem to have, just making the best of your equipment.

After all, a well set up 100mm fork will be far better than a badly set up 140mm one at getting you down stuff.

Happy biking. 🙂

ilikebikes
    Free Member

Me and curlygirl and our two best friends went to Sherwood Pines yesterday, and after a slow and slightly nervous start, the curlygirl relaxed, picked up the speed and did really bloody well.
    Alaine went with flat pedals for yesterday and I think it was the right choice for her as it was really muddy in the more dense twisty sections.
    And the most important thing of all is that she enjoyed it. Yay 😀

CurlyGurl
    Free Member

Following on from husband's post: I felt the best I've felt on a ride yet! I relaxed went fast enough to scare myself, but felt much more in control of the bike, so the roots/dips/mudpatches weren't causing me nearly as much of a problem as they were at the start of the ride (which I have to admit was useless)

I don't know what got into me, but something in my head just switched and I stopped worrying about falling off so much and just let go. I pushed myself to go faster and even though it was making me nervous, I knew it was the right thing to do – I even overtook someone! 😀

I can only put it down to you guys; with your words of support and marvellous advice rattling around my brain, it somehow got through and battered 'defeatest CurlyGurl' into submission. And I'm so glad it did.

It was the first trail ride I've actually enjoyed; and even if I have another shakey start next time, I'm optimistic about going out riding again – and that is definitely a first for me!

So, thank you everyone. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done it without you 🙂 x x x

nedrapier

Ray! Brilliant! Very chuffed for you. 130plus posts helped you realise there's such a thing as too much thinking, and just riding your bike is pretty fun? Ace. What did you have in the water bottle, by the way?

Bunnyhop

curlygurl-I got told off by crazy-legs on Sunday for talking whilst descending a rocky bit.
    He said if I stopped Bl**dy talking then I could concentrate more.
    You see we learn something new every ride. 😀

CurlyGurl
    Free Member

I talk *lots* when I'm riding – mostly to myself – ilikebikes and my pals say they can usually hear me chuntering away while they are waiting for me at the end of a section 😉

And it was Vimto squash in the water bottle. Honest guv'nor…! 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Good stuff curlygirl. smiles per mile is the only criteria that counts

Viewing 22 posts - 121 through 142 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Help!! Nervy Girl Rider :(’ is closed to new replies.