Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help needed…my RaceFace B.Bracket isn't turning!
  • megastream
    Free Member

Just sorting my bike out for tomorrows club ride and the $%^%@$% cranks are super hard to turn, bottom bracket is stiff. I've sprayed some lube around the area but I think it's sealed anyway.

Its a RaceFace Evolve XC chainset and BB, I guess it's done around 1,500 miles.

Is it a case of needing a new BB? It's not looking like I'll be out tomorrow 🙁

Gary_C

It's a common problem on R/F bb's.

Only surprise is that you've managed to get 1500 miles out of it!! 😯

megastream
    Free Member

Really, are they not good then?

nickc

You've had 1500 miles out of it, and now it's not good? Bit harsh.

Gary_C

No,not very,
    I had one on my h/t a couple of years ago,seized up on the r/h side after a couple of months.Removed it from the frame & opened it up,(prized out the plastic top hat very carefully,as it can easily break,then flick out the seal).
    The bearings inside are what they call 'full complement'bearings..i.e.they are packed tightly in with no 'cage'separating each bearing.As a result,imho,there isn't much room for the all important grease.
    I currently run Shimano b/b's on my bikes,& so far have been trouble free.
    I know a few on here really rate the Hope b/b's,but haven't used them myself.
    HTH.

nickegg
    Free Member

1500 miles???????????….mine lasted 3.5 months and maybe half that mileage, if that!

You got a good one.

I replaced mine with a Hope Ceramic BB, should last ALOT longer although that won't be hard.

Trekster

megastream – Member

No….

managed to get 5 through warranty, just got fed up and fitted XT. Instead of RF lasting months the XT last over a year.

xcstu
    Free Member

Ah ya had same problem..

Seized that bad was turning the cranks on the inner of the bottom bracket rather than the bb turning..

lasted about a month… tried once.. never again ;-/

doug_basqueMTB.com

Ha! My RF one lasted 2 weeks!!! You must have got one of their 'friday afternoon' ones. XT's good but I've found the XTR ones are amazing. I opened mine up after almost a year of riding 4-6 days a week and the drive side was spotless, NDS was needing greased.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Ah….These are in the hall of shame on mbtr for a good reason…they are rubbish, mine did 6 weeks and was completely fubared, the bearings were totally destroyed. Get a hope one…all good.

daveb
    Free Member

I am on my 5th one in two years, all replaced under warranty but once this one goes I will be replacing it with a hope ceramic, seems to be much better longer term.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Yep, I've seen a few seized in pretty short times. XT or Hope according to budget and you'll have good service life. My XT's heading for two years which is twice the time i used to get out of square taper Xts!

crazy-legs

I had a RF unit several years ago that did that mid ride, just seized up. Eventually with large amounts of brute force, swearing and horrible creaky cracking noises I got it moving again but the cranks were rocking alarmingly in the BB shell.

Stripped the bike dwon when I got home and the BB axle had seized inside it's own shell then eventually it had split the shell in order to turn again. RF were fine about it, replaced it under warranty.

I've had RF ISIS BB's on 2 bikes and had 3 BB's replaced under warranty. One bike is still running RF (and it's doing very well), the other one is now on an FSA.

Just go to Superfly (NOT Superstar) and get an Enduro ceramic BB.

Everything will run smoothly after that.

Try this – FSA version (there is a cheaper $109 one though)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help needed…my RaceFace B.Bracket isn't turning!’ is closed to new replies.