Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help needed with training for 10km run please!
  • robdob
    Free Member

When I was younger I was a decent sprinter, was never ever able to run distances. Couple of years ago I started running and it has helped with cycling too and my weight loss – great!

I’ve gone from only being able to run for 30s (no seriously, I’d be out of breath and in agony after 30s!) to running a 5km in 30 minutes.

Quite chuffed with that and I want to do a 10km run in 10 weeks time. My main aim is do it in under an hour and not walk at all.

I do need to get my running a bit faster – 5.30m/km constantly would be great – and also avoid injuries – I’ve been struggling with very tight calves. 🙁

Any online guides, help available, any tips? I have all the kit I need so don’t need help with that…

Thanks

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve not done any running at all since I was in my teens. my problem was always tight calves also. When I’ve tried running in the last 5 years or so, even short distances would leave me with calves so painful I could barely move for days, even weeks.

Then I tried again starting in January. I followed the couch to 5k guide which is freely available online. it starts you off with more walking than running which felt ridiculous but I stuck with it until I felt comfortable. My legs still hurt all the time but I’m doing better.

I can now do a 5k in 24 minutes (probably faster when it’s not on a hilly, muddy, off road track in the wind) and ran 5.5 miles on Friday night. Nice and easy, 9:50 minute miles.

Obviously you’re past all this but I expect the principle is the same, take things very easy and gradually. There is a 5k-10k guide as well, I’d recommend following that.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Do a decent warm up and cool down either side of every run you do. Do a run about 1hr15 every week, and do at least one session where you do a warm up, then some short intervals faster than race pace (e.g. 4 x 1km at 5:00 with a 3min jog between each).

This way you’ll be used to running longer, so 1 hr will seem short/easy, PLUS you’ll be used to running faster, so 5:30 will feel slow. You’ll strike a balance between each and hopefully do well in the race.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

10 weeks is long time.

Aim to run three times a week if possible, if not twice and one hard bike ride, (nonstop for 40-60 minutes).

One long run, start at your longest run today, say 30 minutes and add 5 minutes per week, 30, 35, 40, drop down to 35, then 40, 45, 50, drop down to 40, then 50, race. Don’t worry about distance! It’s time on your legs that counts.

Run once a week at 5:30/km pace, start at 15 mins and work/down as above.

Run once a week faster, say close to 5:00/km as you can. Warm up well, run for a minute, rest for two, repeat building up to 10 times, then start to reduce to resting time. 10 * 10 off 1 minute is the goal.

Run on grass/soft surface as much as you can. Warm up, warm down gently stretch if needed.

Good luck

robdob
    Free Member

Samuri – thats the app I used – but walking a lot for starters was great for me!
    I do a ParkRun every saturday which is a good guide to how I am improving and obviously use Strava. I’ve set up a load of private segments near my house to gauge how I’m improving on certain gradients.
    Every Tuesday I run to someones house which is 6.6km away – last time I did it in 44mins with an average pace of 6m37s/km. That had 83m of climbing!
    I am doing one day a week of intervals – 1m walking, 2m jogging, 1.30s sprinting. I think that may be helping but not 100% sure yet as only been doing it a couple of weeks.

I’m also doing the 38mile round trip to work on my bike once a week now hopefully which I am hoping will help with my calves.

surfer
    Free Member

I do need to get my running a bit faster – 5.30m/km constantly would be great – and also avoid injuries – I’ve been struggling with very tight calves.

Then you have to train at least as fast as that pace.
    Glasgowdan has it spot on with those intervals

(e.g. 4 x 1km at 5:00 with a 3min jog between each).

also make sure you are hydrated and dont over stretch your calves. Just a bit of gentle stretching post run

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Re tight calves, I always suffer a bit when going back to running after time away.

The following helps me:

1. As mentioned already, stretch gently immediately post run.
    2. After stretching, get your feet raised above your body ( on chair or against wall whilst you lie on your back).
    3. Compression clothing does work. I use the PHD wool running socks (calf length compression). My scepticism and stiff calves disappeared. 🙂

brant
    Free Member

Compression socks ftw 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

Nike did a really good training plan for their 10ks runs, pretty much based on fartlek training, google is your friend

robdob
    Free Member

Hydration might be a key. I do forget to drink enough water throughout the day.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

find a local running club, if its anything like mine it will be perfect for getting you out there and achieving that 10k. plus group motivation is everytrhing. its utterly piouring here right now, and in 30mins i’ll go do the monday night club run. there is no way i would go out if it was’nt for the club, the weather is foul.

oldboy
    Free Member

Run slow; aim to feel as good at the end of your training run as you did at the start. Keep doing that and your speed will gradually pick up without you noticing it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help needed with training for 10km run please!’ is closed to new replies.