Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help needed with Stumpy FSR mounts
  • cyclewerx

Hi ppl
    I have just bought a 2011 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR carbon and want to put a top chain guide on it. I wont need a chain tensioner as I have the new Type 2 X0 rear mech with clutch so that will take care of chain tension. My problem is I do not know which mount to buy. Am I correct in that direct mount and e type are different fittings? I have looked on Specialized and they only did the frame only in S-Works guise for 2011 and therefore does not state which mount it is. If I look at 2012 it says S3 direct mount and the 2011 expert says S1 direct mount and my lbs said it was e type. Now I am super confused…

Do I need direct mount or e type, what’s the difference between S1, S2 and S3?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Craig

khani
    Free Member

A spesh direct mount front mech is just an etype mech with the bb mounting plate removed and then bolted directly on the frame using the holes which the plate ataches to, Which is different to a normal direct mount front mech that bolts to the seat tube,
    So they’re both right really.. I’d wait for the frame then eye it up, if its a bb30 bottom bracket type thing then an etype one won’t fit and if its a bolt on type then a seat tube one might not fit either
    It can be a minefield…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    khani
    Free Member

I think so, are the front mech mounting bolt holes side by side on your frame like the guide ones you linked to? If they are then yes.

cyclewerx

I’ll have to take a proper look when I go to the bike.
    Any idea what S1, S2 and S3 are then?

Cheers for your help.

khani
    Free Member

No idea what the s1-2-3 thing is, it gets confusing with spesh tbh, that’s why I’d wait til I had the frame in my hands to make sure..
    Have fun.. 😀

cyclewerx

I wish all the manufacturers would club together and start making stuff that was compatible across the board.

thefallguy
    Free Member

I can’t remember which one i went for, but got the specs off the spesh website, don’t forget as well as 2×10 and 3×10 they come in different sizes to suit what ring sizes you run as well. So choose carefully

orangeboy
    Free Member

2011 stumpy will use either a s1 SRAM front mech or a shimano e type with the plate removed
    Frame should come with a bracket that goes between the frame and the e type mech

But as above I’d wait till frame arrives and see what you get

Tracey

Picked Kevins S Works up yesterday after it was built up. Its fitted with an XT E type front mech. It a 2011 carbon one.

cyclewerx

@Tracey That’s the same year as my bike. I called Specialized today and he simply said ‘S1’
    I asked him to elaborate a little and then he said ‘S1 chain guide’…mmm, not the most helpful fellow!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help needed with Stumpy FSR mounts’ is closed to new replies.