Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Help needed with regard to XTR cranks
  • Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I have recently installed my XTR cranks M970s with a Hope SS BB, and just want to know what sort of reaction I should be getting from them when I spin them by hand (without pedals).

With a medium spin of the non-drive side crank arm I'm getting about 2-2.75 complete rotations, I can also hear something like a soft whir(resistance), so I'm not sure if I have installed them correctly, and/or too tight or does the above sound about correct?

I don't want to test it all out soon and find that I am mashing my crankset and BB from the off! 😯

wwaswas

External BB's are notorious for only having 2-3 'free' rotations when you let the pedals go. I think it's the friction from the seals.

I catch myself out on my ISIS bikes as I spin the crank to get the pedal up so I can set off and it spins so freely it inevitably cracks me in the shin.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

I have the same setup on mine with ceramic bearings and it's the same. Wouldn't worry.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Agree with BIC.

coatesy
    Free Member

And if you're still unsure, back the preload right off and see how far it spins then, if you had too much preload then it'll spin noticably more freely.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Help needed with regard to XTR cranks’ is closed to new replies.