Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help needed with Amazon purchase
  • blader1611
    Free Member

Looking at buying an ipad air 2 and was currently looking at a refurb one for £320. I then found this on Amazon but i have no idea if there is a catch to this as it seems far cheaper than anywhere else. Can the hive of stw find something wrong with this or is it genuine?

Markie
    Free Member

It’s a genuine near new warranty return, according to the description. Amazon are good with returns IME, so may be a good way to buy anyway?

orangewinger
    Free Member

Looks like a US model, one of the reviews says:

“you need to be clear that to buy an iPad at this reduction from the normal Apple price you are buying a product intended for the U.S. market”

It probably comes with a 2 pin plug.

the-muffin-man

From the feedback they seem like a reputable seller. And if you look in the Q&As in the listing this question has been asked…

blader1611
    Free Member

The reviews and questions are what through me off. One reviewer said it was a US model but amazon states that it is illegal to sell electrical items without a 3 pin plug. Does this mean its a US model but they are throwing in a uk plug? There is also no mention of this being a US spec so is that legal not to mention it?

Cougar

You say “US spec” but I’d hazard the only difference is the bundled mains plug.

Legalities aside, even if it came with a US adapter, it’s a wall-wart with a USB socket. A replacement USB charger wouldn’t exactly be hard to come by.

blader1611
    Free Member

That is true cougar and i dont really have an issue if it is US. Its just far cheaper than anywhere else so i just have that “its too good to be true” fear running through me but i couldnt see any catch.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Buy it, if it’s not what you wanted/expected then send it back. Amazon are good for that sort of thing.

(check the returns for that seller though)

blader1611
    Free Member

Spoke to seller and its an eu model that comes with 2 pin plug but they provide a uk plug. Should be ok so i reckon i will risk it.

peteimpreza

It’s a good price for what it is but “it” is only 16gb .

That’s not much at all in today’s digital world .

It will soon be full with photos , movies and music be fire you know it .

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Amazon are good with returns IME, so may be a good way to buy anyway?

You’re dealing with a reseller, though.

cornholio98
    Free Member

US models have a different warranty (reduced) compared with the EU/UK ones…

Other than that I don’t believe amazon are an authorised re-seller any more (well not in the US anyway) as Apple took everything back in house so they are sole distributor.

None of it really makes a difference. Once you get the box just check the sn on the back on the apple online checker to see what it actually is. If you don’t like the result send it back without opening.

bensales
    Free Member

Walk away. You’re dealing with a reseller, buying a non-UK version, and you’ll get bugger-all support from Apple if anything goes wrong.

Buy the UK one from the Apple refurb store.

blader1611
    Free Member

It comes with 1 year apple warranty according to seller and its defo an eu model not US.

brassneck

Walk away. You’re dealing with a reseller, buying a non-UK version, and you’ll get bugger-all support from Apple if anything goes wrong.

I bought a Macbook Pro under similar circumstances – US grey import.

Apple honoured the warranty on it when the DVD failed without question.

bensales
    Free Member

blader1611 – Member
    It comes with 1 year apple warranty according to seller and its defo an eu model not US.

No it doesn’t. You’re reading some random’s review of iPads in general. The product description lists:

Apple iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-Fi – Space Grey (Grade A) + Warranty. Near perfect or perfect condition WITHOUT original box. Tiny signs of use only, close to new condition.Included Accessories: USB Cable ONLY. This item is covered by 60 Day Freedom Mobiles Warranty from date of delivery.

It’s a secondhand iPad. It’s the same as buying one off eBay.

mav12
    Free Member

id buy a 32gb air argos are doing them for £339 dont think theres a great deal of difference between the air and air 2

zilog6128

Air 2 is substantially more powerful and is the only iPad bar the new Pro that will do split-screen multitasking. Although if it’s just for surfing STW all that number-crunching power might be wasted 🙂 Also it has Touch ID which whilst not essential is one of those things you wouldn’t want to not have once you’re used to it!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help needed with Amazon purchase’ is closed to new replies.