Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Help needed – what to do in Snowdonia in a gale
  • Ewan
    Free Member

We’re in Snowdonia, and after a lovely days scrambling yesterday we’re faced with two days of snow, thunder and gales on the tops.

Any suggestions of what to do – low level walks or anything really. Thanks!

martinhutch

Llanberis Slate Quarries from Bus Stop Quarry.

Followed by Pete’s Eats (even if it isn’t as good as it used to be)

If it’s really bad, you can go underground and visit the hydro plant.

Pigface
    Free Member

Hunker down

towzer

visit Portmeirion village and gardens (beach coastal walk to Porthmadog **Beware tides)
    coastal train (esp over Barmouth)

edit – http://www.electricmountain.co.uk/ (*I’ve never been – but previously noted)

aa
    Free Member

Have a browse of the shops in Betws followed by an ice cream in Cadwalders and a forest walk. Or get yourself to the coast!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The cafe with the huge tea selection by the station in Betws has great food for a bad day/hangover. I’ll not be conned back to Pete’s eats ever again.

Ewan
    Free Member

What’s at the coast? Other than the sea?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Beaches Portmadoc to the west and stuff to the north too

takisawa2

If past stormagedons are anything to go by it will probably just be a bit of drizzle & a breeze.
    But then again your in Wales…

Grab some kites, don some waterproofs & head to the beach.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Low level ish walks taking in many pubs?

palmer77
    Free Member

Bounce Below – underground trampoline?

http://www.llechwedd-slate-caverns.co.uk/adventure/

dti

corris mine explorers

tallie
    Free Member

Low level bimble through the forest past Swallow Falls down to Betws for food / shopping / drinking? Park in the little car park after the A5 crosses the river North of Betws and either one of the party runs back up the A5 to collect or walk back through forest after food?

Or Indy Climbing Wall? Does mean a trip into Angelsey but not that far.

http://www.nuffieldanglesey.org.uk/climbing-wall/

rascal
    Free Member

Pub of course.

saxabar
    Free Member

Go biking 🙂

Or, if with family, a walk up to the lake above Betws should be OK as much of the climb is in the trees. Another option is a morning run followed by Bounce Below. It’s more epic than it sounds!

I reckon Alpine cafe will be rammed, so would be thinking slightly off-piste. Perhaps try the nearby Welsh food farm (next to Bodnant Gardens).

karnali
    Free Member

Camarthon castle followed by pizza and ice cream at glaslyn ices cafe in beddgelert

jekkyl

Stay in the room with your partner for some adult fun, only leaving to eat & go to the pub?

jambalaya
    Free Member

What’s at the coast? Other than the sea?

Even more exposire to wind and rain ? 🙂

As a kid I spent many holidays in Wales in horrible weather, it was frankly a bit rubbish

Ewan
    Free Member

Good stuff! Thabks

globalti
    Free Member

Blackrock sands- can you still drive on the beach there?

Walk up the road to the top reservoir at the Dinorwic pumped storage, shin over the fence and look down the surge tunnel, then walk down through the slate quarries. Fascinating.

mark90
    Free Member

Walk on the beach, dunes, forest at Newborough and along to Llanddwyn island.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Picturesque views from a drive on one of the roads from Dolgellau that lead to the base of Cader Idris. past some lovely lakes and down to Fairbourne.

Jump on the narrow gauge railway with the silly long name in Fairbourne.

Hop across to Barmouth.

Buy some winter gear and build a snowman? 😉

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Whitewater rafting at Tryweryn, Bala. Weather doesn’t affect how wet you get

Spud

Read that Bounce Below is close until May whilst they make it ‘bigger and better’, installing new slides apparently too. The caverns at Llechwedd (sp) have re-opened though. Wander around Conwy Castle? Bodnant Gardens (NT). Off to Betws in a week.. can’t come soon enough..

slowoldman

We had two decent days then drove home last night before the Easter rush.

SOAP
    Free Member

I’m on the uplift tomorrow at Antur and it’s gonna be awesome. NOT. Wish me luck in the 40 mph wind and sideways rain.

grahamt1980

Kite flying at red wharf bay on anglesey.
    Should be exciting at the very least

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Help needed – what to do in Snowdonia in a gale’ is closed to new replies.