• This topic has 630 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 631 total)
  • Help needed to put the mountains into mountain biking – riding the Munros
  • Sanny
    Free Member

Highlandman

That’s awesome! How would you add on Tolmount? Dreish and Mayar I know pretty well but Tolmount is an unknown quantity for me. Back in August, I rode seven of the munros around Glen Shee. Tolmount was within spitting distance but the weather decided to close in so we knocked it on the head and headed down as opposed to doing what looked like a bog trot. You’re right enough about saving such rides for a good day as I know having done Dreish and Mayar in dank, heavy cloud that navigation up there can get tricky when the path disappears.

Any other munros and lower peaks you would give the seal of approval to?

For Bidean, I was thinking of a straight out and back. When I walked it, the potential for a tricky tech descent started to appeal. I would plan to descend Coire nan Lochan as that is the route I’m familiar with. It would be a carry the whole way up but then that’s always a possibility with such things. 😀

Cheers

Sanny

Kunstler

The eastern Drummochter munros are a fairly easy bike – did these last March the weekend before we got that mini summer. I only took the bike to ride up to the train and take out some miles to the start of the ‘walk’ but ended up riding it all anyway. I used the route described on Walkhighlands – copied their gpx into my phone and used that for navigation. It was a novelty and the first time I’d used anything other than map and compass. I would have added Meall Chuaich on afterwards but time was short and didn’t want to miss the train home. I was freezing after the descent and dismayed to find the hotel had closed so to keep warm I bombed down to Loch Pattack and back. It did the trick.

highlandman
    Free Member

Sanny, on that big route Tolmount would have to be a quick out and back add-on from the eastbound trail coming down from Claise to Tom B. But to be honest, I think adding either it or Dreish to that particular big day would take the whole thing out beyond enjoyable and into unpleasant toil territory. Better done by revising the day and maybe heading down onto Jock’s Road. Spicy though.. Alternatively, cross from tolmount to Crow Craigies and continue east and back down to Bachnagairn..? Never tried that, although I ‘hear’ it has been done.
    There are quite a few similar big days out to be had in that area- try starting at the Spittal of Glenshee hotel, Cateran trail to GlenIsla, Forter, Bawhelps, bypass Mayar, Finalty, Buidhe, Claise, Glas Maol and down over Meal Odhar to pick up the wee trail down to the bottom of the Devil’s Elbow- then ride back to that strategically parked car.
    I live in Angus and my main ‘big day’ buddy emigrated to Chamonix recently, so I’ve not been getting out as much as I used to- and the weather was pants last year.

Sanny
    Free Member

Have you ridden from clova to glen esk then up mount keen to aboyne and back to clova or parts of it? Glen Esk intrigues me.

whattyre
    Free Member

i did ben vorlich this summer sanny….its was my first munro on a bike and very good…i reckon you could do it in about 4 hours…we parked up north of callendar so it was a big day for us,the actual munro was pretty straight forward,up and down following the tourist path..very steep for the last 200 meters but still doable coming down albeit slowly..we passed 2 nutters on cross bikes going up..wtf? its definitely all-mountain on the way down…great descent[IMG]http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o687/Chris_Feltham/849F1D15-D0C2-4CDC-9824-46A146949077-3285-0000045BF71F81ED.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o687/Chris_Feltham/D793BAEA-6891-4511-975F-2ECF9FAE7B93-3285-0000045C07CA6A48.jpg[/IMG]

highlandman
    Free Member

Yes, been all over that area too. Once clear of the Brandy climb from Clova, the ride across the top is good, past the crashed Wellington and over to Loch Lee, where you need to leave the singletrack, heather hop for a wee bit and join the doubletrack descent. The path on the OS map peters out into unrideable mire well before what should have been a wonderful descent. Going up Keen is fine, although the motorway ascent is a bit dull; I usually miss out the last bit and head around the countour trail on the west side instead. From the head of Tanar you can cross NW on the obvious track, heading for a return leg on the Capel. Big day..
    Alternatively, again start in Clova and instead make a two day ride of it. Miss out Keen on the outbound day, crossing the hills to Aboyne on the Firmounth road from Tarfside village instead- take the wee Whisky Road diversion to get there. Overnight in Aboyne and return to Clova by taking Glen Tanar to Mt Keen, then go around Loch Lee and back up and over to do either the Brandy descent or go slightly south to do the parallel one on the south side of the Whirral crags, from the top of Ben Tirran. That’s another good Corbett with a cracking trail off it.
    There’s some good riding to be had in Glen Esk and better still it is a good point to start off on some excellent long day rides.

Sanny
    Free Member

Brilliant! I did read somewhere that the double track was the way to go. That’s really helpful. Are there any other rides in the area you would recommend or any further afield? Lochnagar is a bit of a classic in my book as is Beinn a Bhuird and Ben Avon.

Re Loch Brandy. Do you head up onto the rim of the corrie or take the southern path?

It amazes me the number of aircraft wrecks up in the Angus Glens.

Cheerd

bedmaker

Good to see this popping up again!
    Lovely mild sunny day here yesterday put me in the mind of thinking about summer adventures. 🙂 Best hill day last year was in MArch mind you.

I hadn’t any firm plans other than trying to revisit Macdui down to Braemar.

That Affric route down Coire eachavie is now planned though. Never noticed that one before but it looks like it should be good.
    It’s close to home for me so may well be grabbed at short notice in March if weather is favourable.

Another one I have my eye on is just East of that – a hike abike up the horrific looking Doire Mhor from the car park at Coille Ruigh na Cuileige onto the ridge then onto Toll Creagach. Down to the bealachtoll Easa then dump the bike and bag Tom a’ Choinich. The path marked down the Allt Toll Easa is then the bit which looks interesting. A bit steep looking dropping into Gleann nam Fiadh but should be a nice meander back down to the car park.

Some of these routes further East mentioned above sound great. Would love to do some multi day stuff over that direction sometime.
    <digs out box of maps>

highlandman
    Free Member

Southern path is a more straightforward climb than the corrie rim, which I’ve never hauled a bike up. But I’m sure it would be a bit of a ball ache.
    There are plenty more rides to put together all across these hills; yes Bhuird and Avon makes a good day out and Lochnagar clockwise from Braemar is close to being my favourite ride. It’s good to see riders getting the skills and experience to take on these sort of challenges more widely. Just don’t ever try to cross the Minigaig path, it’s just plain horrible.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Just to whet the appetite, did Lomond today. Very windy up top, bloody mad windy actually, but a super slick fun fast descent broken only by 3 fences and the granny catcher.

Sanny
    Free Member

Nice pic Dan. That looks ace and no snow!

Forecast for tomorrow is 65mph winds on the tops and poor visibility. Garrr! Why can’t it be cold and crisp like it’s meant to be this time of year?

Spent much of this evening perusing my Ultimate Munros book. I reckon Ben Challum looks good as a short trip while Cruach Ardeain and Beinn Tulaichean could be done before or after with a short drive in between. I now need to go and mark up my maps.

I also want to get back up Beinn Chabair. I walked it 20 years ago with my mate Gordon on a scorching hot day. We ran out of water after running about like ejits with a Boomerang. My mate then dozed off on the drive back which was interesting as he was driving!

The days are getting longer. Roll on some hopefully fine days for further adventures. 😀

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Minigaig path, it’s just plain horrible<

Used to be a rite of passage. Kids these days….

😉

irc

Minigaig? I quite enjoyed it. On a hardtail with bothy kit on it as well. Though I did it south to north and left the Minigaig at the summit of the pass and went north over the unnamed 912M top and Meall an Uilt Creagaich before a fast run down the landrover track to Glen Feshie. No idea what the Minigaig path is like north of the summit.

I thought my route would work better north to south. A climb up the track to the plateaux and the singletrack along the Minigaig towards Glen Bruar on a gentle downslope.

highlandman
    Free Member

I’ve done the Minigaig by both methods; south north each time. Found the 912 route much more rideable than the classic, which just ends up in peat bog and tussock madness. irc’s suggestion is fair enough, starting in Feshie and climbing south on that broad doubletrack would get you up to 912 fairly readily and there is then some singletrack to be had as you rejoin the Minigaig path, before the steep drop into the head of the glen. But for taht amount of effort, I can think of more fun places to go..

gmac123
    Free Member

been loving this thread and reading it regular since it was pointed out me… thanks Sanny and contributors

Ben Challum – not sure about it for the bike , atleast route we walked. started with a straight at it approach from kirkton farm, which puts you on a steep slog up to a flat bog, creag loisgte. across this to a path by a fence and now you’re riding potentially to the top. So this route probably sees at least 500 of the 800m ascent as a carry.. Perhaps Glen Lochay? Great views of Ben Lui to be had

Cruach Ardrain – think this would be good, once you’ve ridden up the track and carried past grey height and partway meall dhamh. from memory reasonable gradient until final summit, and potentially a fantastic decent.

Ralph Storers books are great, didn’t know about the ultimate series. the track pictures certainly add alot of value for this purpose.

Sanny
    Free Member

Soooooooo – a new year and more Munros ridden. Today saw me and my mate Donald knock out Ben Ime and Ben Narnain in the snow. A check on MWIS and the avalanche forecast was the precursor to a lovely ride up to the saddle of the Cobbler with some pushing and carrying then a straight carry up onto Ime. You know you’re perhaps a wee bit out there when a couple of Royal Marine Commandos at the summit say you’re mental. We flew down the snow far faster than either of us expected then carried up onto Narnain. The views were absolutely belting in all directions. Riding back down to the main Cobbler path, the steep top section was challenging as the easiest way down was to head down the fall line picking our way through the rocks. The odd icy section didn’t prove too problematic while the main Cobbler path back down was terrific. Hopefully the guy who got winched off Ben Lui across the valley is on the road to recovery as his day ended in a ride in one of HMS Gannet’s Sea Kings.

Everyone we met on the way up and way down was absolutely brand new. Lots of great chat.

All in all, it was a great albeit fairly short day out and definitely worth the effort to get to the summits. One to add to the growing list. The mini crampons and the ice tyres were definitely a wise choice though!

So who else took advantage of the weather then?

Sanny
    Free Member

Thread resurrection time! 😀

Soooo, what Munros are folk planning on riding this year then?

I’ve got a route for the Drumochter seven that looks doable in a day.

I reckon the western Glencoe Munros hold promise too. Carry up with techy descents. I’ve planned out a route up the valley to the north of the Buchaille that might just work and pay back with 4 summits in a day and a trip out to the head of Glen Etive and back.

I was looking at the summits above Loch Eilidh Mor above Kinlochleven and there are some cracking looking stalkers path that are definitely worthy of exploration. A search online of images reveals some stunning looking singletrack.

The 5 peaks over 4000 feet look like a goer for the Cairngorms as a day ride too.

Has anyone walked or biked the likes of Ben Oss, Ben Lui etc between Crianlarich and Tyndrun as they hold some promise?

Further north, the Munros around Glen Kinglas could go too.

Re the Aonach Egach Ridge. How rideable is the trail off the southern end of the range without doing the madder than a box of frogs traverse?

Has anyone got any beta on the peaks around Glen Affric and Torridon?

The Mondaliath Mountains are a mystery to me. Has anyone any experience of these or the peaks around Ben Alder?

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

http://www.frcc.co.uk/walks.asp?area_id=9&walk_id=120

Right someone must have ridden this?!??!?!?!????? 😀

It looks pukka!

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

It’s Sgor Eilde Beag and the gradual drop along the ridge must surely be a goer as the stalkers path below to Loch Eilidh Mor looks terrific according to the pictures and guide book info I’ve gathered! Surely someone on here must have given it a bash?

Sanny
    Free Member

It’s Sgor Eilde Beag and the gradual drop along the ridge must surely be a goer as the stalkers path below to Loch Eilidh Mor looks terrific according to the pictures and guide book info I’ve gathered! Surely someone on here must have given it a bash?

RustySpanner

Can I just say how much I’ve enjoyed reading this thread?
    Very, very inspirational.

Thanks.

Sanny
    Free Member

Time for some pics!

Ben Lawers last March

Descent from Lawers by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

Looking to An Stuc and beyond

An Stuc, Ben Lawers, Beinn Ghlass from Meall Garbh by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

Sanny
    Free Member

Loch Voil from Stob Binnein by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

Heading down from Stob Binean. The lower satellite peak descent would be better as it is less steep…………….still good fun though!

Sanny
    Free Member

P1010232 by vw.splitscreen, on Flickr

Riding to the Kilbo Path from Dreish 😀

P1010177 by vw.splitscreen, on Flickr

Top of Corrie Fee. One to return to as a descent! 😀

messiah
    Free Member

Soon… 8)

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Messiah

How’s the snow looking up the Angus Glens? Keen to get back up there asap!

Cheers

Sanny

ianpv
    Free Member

Sanny,

Very long time no see, but you may may be interested in these given your enquiry above:

Sgor Eilde Beag

Sgor Eilde Mor

Alpine singletrack above KLL

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Ian 😀

Are you still in the deep south? I saw those pics last week when trawling tinterweb for route info. What route did you take? How was the descent back down? Did you head back up and down the same stalkers path or come up from the bealach beneath Stob Coire a Chairn. The route down has been on my radar for several years and I am itching to try it as soon as the snow clears.

Lovely pics by the way!

Hope you are well and glad that you are still riding. Are you still on Santa Cruz’s?

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Ian 😀

Are you still in the deep south? I saw those pics last week when trawling tinterweb for route info. What route did you take? How was the descent back down? Did you head back up and down the same stalkers path or come up from the bealach beneath Stob Coire a Chairn. The route down has been on my radar for several years and I am itching to try it as soon as the snow clears.

Lovely pics by the way!

Hope you are well and glad that you are still riding. Are you still on Santa Cruz’s?

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Ian 😀

Lovely pics by the way!

Cheers

Sanny

highlandman
    Free Member

Still more snow than hill visible looking up into the glens. North and NW facing slopes have a lot of cover anywhere above about 4-500m, some south facing areas at 600m just beginning to clear. There’s still patchy old snow on the north side of the Sidlaws and isolated patches down as far as 100m!
    Angus had a LOT of snow three and four weeks back and much of it is still on the hills. 100% cover from about 800m upwards. However, as soon as you cross the watershed towards Braemar and the rest of Deeside, there’s a lot less snow lying. Time for the nordic skis, not the bike yet.

ianpv
    Free Member

Hi Sanny, yup still down here in Bristol.

We did it out and back from KLL, mainly to see if we could chalk up a near 1000m descent in the UK (it is very close – that pic is on the way down on the trail you can see on google earth) – I think I can send you the gpx and some details if you’re interested – does your stw address work?

On a 2008 patriot now for proper riding – two kids so mending and making do with the old technology, but it seems to go ok!

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Ian

Send it to sannyATsingletrackworld.com. That would be ace! The trail up has always intrigued me and with the ongoing Munros mission, it’s prime to be done. I was totting up a few possible hills last night in my head to ride and explore that would be worth doing with the bike this year and I came up with over 60 fairly quickly. 😀

Cheers

Sanny

bokonon
    Free Member

Has anyone walked or biked the likes of Ben Oss, Ben Lui etc between Crianlarich and Tyndrun as they hold some promise?

I didn’t see a reply to this – I’ve only ever climbed here in winter, which is not good for assessing the bikeability of the area, however, there is a good landrover track out to cononish and beyond, making it an easy area to get to on a bike fairly quickly, then have a good look round the mountains – from memory the descent off Ben Lui would potentially be rideable, but I think I glissaded sections of it, so my memory is not ideal for this.

Sanny
    Free Member

bokonon

I’ll be trying this as part of a circuit of 4 following the Ralph Storer route advice in his Ultimate Munros book. The aim is to avoid the slough of despond on the eastern approach then heading across the tops. I’ll report back with pics. 😀

birky
    Free Member

How’s the snow looking up the Angus Glens?

This was taken up Clova on sunday

Sanny
    Free Member

P1000492 by vw.splitscreen, on Flickr

Another day, another pic! Ben Lomond Ptarmigan descent in winter. 😀

Sanny
    Free Member

wP1000227 by vw.splitscreen, on Flickr

Ice tyre testing on Ben Chonzie…………….. 😀

gmac123
    Free Member

was up in skye last week, great weather all week, the ground was very dry, great conditions al round. whilst it wasn’t a ride to the summit I took a ride up coire lagan which sits under the great stone chute leading to Sgurr Mhic Choinnich, Sgurr Thearlaich and Sgurr Alasdair

IMG00168-20130315-0943 by gmac123, on Flickr

over the years I’ve been up and down this with the walking boots heading for various hills, it wasn’t as rideable as I’d thought. I ascended the path from the mountain rescue post, once you get past the waterfall the paths mostly rideable until the last sections before the path converge. the last section to the coire is carry. the ride back down (to the campsite) is entertaining. a part day ride for anyone in the area..

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 631 total)

The topic ‘Help needed to put the mountains into mountain biking – riding the Munros’ is closed to new replies.