• This topic has 630 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 631 total)
  • Help needed to put the mountains into mountain biking – riding the Munros
  • tomd
    Free Member

Ben Lomond is mostly >90% rideable for mortals on the way down. Way up is mostly unridable.

thecrookofdevon

Druidh.
    Where is Glas Tuileachan roughly so that I can check it out on Tracklogs?
    Tomd
    Is Ben Lomond really 90% doable. I know the bit up to the shoulder but the bit up to the summit is a big lump.
    May go for one of these this weekend.

druidh
    Free Member

Glas Tuileachan is up past the Spittal of Glenshee hotel at NO 050760.

You can park at the Spittal and ride up past Dalmunzie House. Don’t be tempted to try descending down to Loch nan Eun and out along Glen Taitneach.

Keep an eye on the weather this weekend!!!

birky
    Free Member

Glas Tuileachan …

By strange coincidence I was just watching ‘Highland Emergency’ which showed some DoE kids being rescued from beside the ruined lodge in the first pic.

thecrookofdevon

Thanks Druidh. So if heading over to Loch nan Eun is out of the question, and you are right it looks very tempting on the map, would you suggest and out and back up and down the main path?

druidh
    Free Member

I reckon there should be a way up/down from the Fealar Lodge track. I believe it’s possible (with permission) to drive up to Daldhu. However, I’ve not tried this and a short, snowy October day wouldn’t be my first recommendation for it.

chickenman

Unfortunately 70% ridable means pushing or carrying half the time 😥
    Carn a Chlamain (Atholl) as described earlier by Sanny with the descent down to Forest Lodge is a cracker. Beinn a Bhuird is very ridable, but the last mile to the north summit across the tundra will not make you too many friends with the environmental lobby with the ground being so soft ATM. The descent back down the route of ascent (Quoich) would be great but a bit easy. We rode down to the Sneck and walked up Ben Avon (it would be a push up and the return to the Sneck is eroded enough just with walkers).Returned by Glen Slugain.

thecrookofdevon

So what about the following?
    From the main A924 follow the Allt Fearnach track until you are adjacent and below the top of Sron Chrion a’Bhacain. Push carry roughly NE past spot height at 027737 until you reach track at 032744. Follow track to summit of Glas Tulaichan. Back down main track to Glenlochsie Lodge and Spittal of Glenshee. Then take path SW out of Spittal of Glenshee up Coire Lairige and onto An Lairig. Keep following over to main road at Enochdu.
    Now that looks like a stonking day but maybe for a long summer day rather than a short Autumn blast.
    Anybody done it?

duckman

Make sure the shooting is done with, I was not able to use the main path up to Glas Tuileachan because they were shooting on the plateau. I came up the gulley on the left hand side in the end.

thecrookofdevon

By my rough calculations it is about 37km with a height gain of 1380m of ascent/descent.

druidh
    Free Member

That’s the route of the Cateran Trail.

thecrookofdevon

Sorry for my ignorance but what is the Cateran Trail?

Sanny
    Free Member

You could try the munros off of Glenshee on the western side. There is Land Rover track all the way up the two closest to the centre and the third one is very rideable both out and back. They are very quick to knock out so not a full day adventure.

Carn a chlamain is steep up on the main path. I have a bloody mindedness that means I’ll ride even if walking is just as quick but that’s just me so I reckon some will push most of it and some ride most of it if that makes sense?

Glas Tulaichean descent to the loch is fine until it gets a bit boggy and vague for the last 200 metres. We followed the obvious track down from the southern side of the Lochan which turned to shit. Next time, I’d head down from the loch as the path though a short scramble down at a couple of points was easy to follow and definitely a path!

wiz74

Sanny,

Apologies for the delay and thanks for your earlier feedback. We tried the route a couple of weeks ago, not the most successful day in the hills! It was that weekend where it was snowing above 600m in that area of Scotland and the smart money was on a change of plans – never ones to be accused of being smart, in for a penny, in for a pound!

The climb up to the bealach at Stob Ban was almost completely unrideable as you mentioned and the weather got worse when we completed the climb. Two of the party returned the way we came and the other 3 of us pushed on with the view that if things closed in further we would bail as well. As you are aware, once you commit to skirting round the ridge to Am Bodach there are no easy bailing options. Due to the reasonable snowfall and the very walker specific paths up high on this route, there was more pushing than riding done.

We also took the wrong path at the bealach just past Am Bodach – poor choice there which resulted in the path we were on dead ending in the corrie with the lightning strike of the path we should have been on over the far side of the corrie – doh!

We made the decision to cross country it to the path (I know – irresponsible) which was an experience – 400m vertical descent over lumpy heathery grass was an experience but at least it meant we got out of the snow line but into the rain!

From there the descent on the path into KLL was pretty sweet although we were a little jaded by then. Luckily, the two lads that turned back earlier in the ride collected us from KLL so saved the 20k of WHW in the dark that we would have had to do had they not bailed early!

So lessons learned:
    1. We are not as hardy or adventurous as some on here!
    2. That route is a BIG day out in good weather and a step too far (for us) in November.
    3. There are places in the hills that are probably no place for bikes being ridden (pushed) by us.
    4. Whilst we don’t ordinarily like doing out and backs, preferring circular routes, doing an out and back of that corrie from KLL is probably optimum for that descent.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sanny, never thought I’d he’s you say number 3!

Greg

glupton1976
    Free Member

wiz74 – sounds like a decent wee adventure and there’s nowt irresponsible about taking the cross country route anywhere.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oops, sorry wiz74, just seen the Sanny at the top!.

fizzer
    Free Member

Wiz, did I speak to one of you on the ridge between Sgurr as Iubhair & Am Bodach? Me & the Mrs were doing the Ring of Steall. There were 3 of you & the one I spoke to said you were going over Am Bodach down to KLL then WHW.

wiz74

Fizzer, aye that was me (us). Cracking weather that day huh!

wiz74

Glupton1976 – we will stick to paths 99% of the time when in the hills – unfortunately, the choices on this occasion just didn’t allow it. Was defo an adventure though!

wiz74

Sanny, just read on fresh goods friday that their Giant Trance 29 is off up north for extended testing with Sanny – good effort sir!

Just to be absolutely clear, none of the write-up re: our less than successful day in the hills is a reflection on you or any other route pointers posted on here – we are all big boys and (should) know what we are getting ourselves into.

Was pretty miserable that day but the worst has faded from memory and now thoughts are turning to trying it again, albeit in late spring!

Thanks for your input – appreciated.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Wiz!

That sounds like a bloody tough day out, fella. Reading it reminds me why I tend to stick to good weather days. With the weather closing in on you, I reckon things could get pretty consequential pretty quickly up there. It sounds like you used your noggin and did the right thing to get down. Being able to make decisions like that even if it means you don’t do the route you are hoping for is no bad thing in my book. I’m seriously impressed that you did it as a November ride. That’s pretty hardcore in my book!

How did your mates like the descent back to Glen Nevis? really keen to know what they thought.

I was up Carn a Chlamain again last Sunday with my mate Roddy. We came across some super slippy verglas part way up but fortunately the snow up above it as we approached the summit was super grippy. It was almost like skiing as we dropped off the summit plateau. 😀

Thinking of the 4 munros around the Buchaille next. Lairig Gartain looks pretty promising for riding.

Aye, the Trance X is a lovely piece of kit. It’s a 20 inch which the early reviews I read suggested would be pretty big and reachy but with the 90mm stem and 720mm bars, it’s a perfect fit for me. It’s not often that I’ll get on a bike and not want to change anything. Early impressions are of a solid piece of kit that positively zips along the trail. I’m really looking forward to using it in the big hills which is what I’m intending to use it for.

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Wiz

Any pics?

Cheers

sanny

wiz74

Sanny,

Will see if I can upload some (poor) pics later.

Trance X looks outstanding value for money beside the 5 grand santa cruz!

The two lads the went down to Glen Nevis struggled to get any flow on that descent, mostly due to the stop start nature of the path but also due to being significant areas of ice. To be fair, the boggy bits near the bottom of that path at the Glen Nevis end were far easier to negotiate due to them being frozen. In decent weather it might be a bit better but there ain’t much flow to it I would say.

Gotta err on the side of caution in the big hills so discretion was the better part of valour in those conditions.

Some of your plans sound interesting, I’m off to Glentress 😉

fizzer
    Free Member

Aye Wiz it closed in after we saw you. The Devil’s Ridge was ‘ interesting’ to say the least!

wiz74

Some Photos of the trip above…
    Looking down glen nevis

There was a path here somewhere…

wiz74

Hmm, that worked!

A few more…

Pretty chilly day…

X-countried from snowline to here!

Sanny
    Free Member

Thread revival time! So what has everyone got planned for this year then?

Cheers

Sanny

messiah
    Free Member

More than last years pitiful effort for me… I’m never moving house again. This year will be different and I will be back in the hills where I love to go.

boxelder

Plans?
    Take up kayaking……..

druidh
    Free Member

Yep. Packraft is on order so I suspect I’ll be trying a few Munros by some unconventional routes (though not necessarily involving bikes).

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve been a fan of this thread for a long time and hopefully this year I’ll get out on them thar hills. After trying to sift through the thread this morning I reckon Ben Lawers, Ben Lomond and Ben Vorlich will be on my to do list for 2013. These seem to be the favoured hills, anymore I should be adding to the list to start off?

goatster
    Free Member

How about the cobbler? On the map there looks to be a route around the three (i think) Monroe’s in the area? T

Sanny
    Free Member

Aye the Cobbler is good. I would add on Ime and Narnain as they are close by and worth a crack.

13thfloormonk

Might I suggest Mam Sodhail and Coire Leachavie above Glen Affric?

I spotted this one last year on Google Earth but have no idea when I’ll get a chance to ride it (downside of living in Vancouver now 8) [/smug]) The coire Leachavie descent looks beautiful, apart from the bulldozed trail thats appeared at the bottom apparently.

The path up Coire Ghaidheil even looks half decent…

Sanny
    Free Member

Nice tip re Affric. Aiming for Ime and Narnain on the next frosty day we get. Will need to leave the Buchaille until the Spring but 4 in a day looks promising. I also want to complete all the ones in the Cairmgorms as there are a few I have still to have a bash at.

Ben Lui looks promising too and an easy trip from Glasgow.

Just got the 4th in the Ultimate Munros guidebook series. A terrific guidebook that gives great beta about the paths. Well worth the money for anyone who fancies giving this Munro game a bash.

Sanny
    Free Member

So who has ridden the Drumochter munros? All 7 look doable as a day ride but I was wondering whether the western ones should be ridden clockwise or anti clockwise? Also, what would be the prefered route for the three on the eastern side of the road?

For Tolmount and Tom Buidhe in the eastern Cairngorms, what route would folk recommend that maximises riding up as well as down? Is there a decent path from Loch Callater. Also, has anyone extended these to take in Dreish and Mayar or is it a bogfest?

Has anyone tried Bidean nan Beam? I walked there a couple of years back and was struck that the upgraded path could make for a fun albeit steppy descent. has anyone had a bash at this?

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Also, has anyone had a crack at An Casteil, Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich by Loch Lomond?

bullroar
    Free Member

This thread is a bigger time waster than a couple of cats 🙂

What way are you thinking of for Bidean? Surely there would be much portage going up and probably down once at the river into Corrie nam Beitheach?

I’d be interested to hear if anyone has ridden Creag Pitridh, Geal Charn and Beinn a Chlachair starting from the A87 near Moy Lodge. You can get to about 850m between the first easy enough on a path.

highlandman
    Free Member

Sanny, I’ve ridden fairly often on the high ground around the tops at Callater etc. A cracking big day out is as follows-
    Start in Clova at the main car park and ride up to Bachnagairn, then up onto Broad Cairn with some carrying. Then ride over to Cairn Bannoch and on towards t’Saggart Mor, descending the main Callater trail (mmm.. nice). Cross at the lochside bridge behind the lodge and head up the landy track to Tuirc, which you’ll probably ride a fair bit of. Then on to Claise and east over the muir to Tom Buidhe. From there nav gets a bit interesting but head south for a big white slab of quartz and continue past it on a faint quad trail, across a small bog and on towards Finalty Hill, climbing SSW on a faint doubletrack. Hang a left on the landy track just before getting to Finalty, then first right to a faint ruined cairn and onwards generally east to Mayar, approaching the summit up a trail from the west. Straight up and over the top and ride down onto the ridge, heading for the Kilbo trail.. Descend to Clova, your transport and thence a well earned pint.
    This is quite a big day- 7 munros and a couple of minor tops, with two very good descents. The first high traverse is straightforward in good visibility but would be challenging in anything else. The only section of really difficult navigation is after Tom B, where you realy do need good visibility to be able to stay on the very faint route across the peat and the bog- amazingly, it is largely rideable in good conditions, you just wouldn’t know it from just a short distance away. This is a committed day, one for considering your mountain safety quite carefully and I’d only consider doing it with perfect viz and a clear safety margin of daylight.
    Adding either Tolmount and/or Dreish would make it a pretty major undertaking. Happy to discuss if you want to get some more detail.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 631 total)

The topic ‘Help needed to put the mountains into mountain biking – riding the Munros’ is closed to new replies.