• This topic has 630 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by poah.
Viewing 31 posts - 601 through 631 (of 631 total)
  • Help needed to put the mountains into mountain biking – riding the Munros
  • chickenman

An Socach: up the hill baggers route to summit, along the ridge north to Sgor Mor and ride down the amazing singletrack you spotted on the right on your way up.
    You could start at Callater, ride up Claise, do Tom Buidhe and Tolmount then across to Carn Bannoch and the fun descent to Loch Callater.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Could anyone advise if there is a decent route up ,( and more importantly down) Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Ardair and Carn Liath

Some info here, but I couldn’t decipher it…

No other way,but you can swing back round the ridge after Meagaidh. Also the best way to climb it is to start about 3/4k down from the centre,much more will be bikeable. There is a logging road that goes int the glen and I have done it as a through walk. Much more time on a bike than if you do the midge infested wet hike a bike that the route up Liath is from the main car park.Another alternative is to follow General Wades road from Gergask,although that would leave you with a pig of a bike out,or two cars. If you pm me tonight I will dig out the grid ref of the shorter one.

Spin
    Free Member

The path from Aberarder is rideable all the way up into Coire Ardair. From there it’s a carry up to the window and I’d say not rideable down either. Once on the tops you can mostly ride the walkers paths out to Carn Liath. My memory is that the path down from the end of the ridge at Carn Liath would not be much fun on the bike but I was running and it was a while ago.

Spin
    Free Member

Some info here, but I couldn’t decipher it…

Neither of those other 2 options make a lot of sense to me as ways to access the Munros there.

Also the best way to climb it is to start about 3/4k down from the centre,much more will be bikeable.

If this means the track up Coire na h-Uamha then it’s more like 11k from the Meagaidh car park and although it’s rideable to the end of the track it still leaves a big rough hike onto the tops.

Much more time on a bike than if you do the midge infested wet hike a bike that the route up Liath is from the main car park.

I’d rather come down this than go up it but I don’t reckon it will be much fun either way.

Another alternative is to follow General Wades road from Gergask,although that would leave you with a pig of a bike out,or two cars

This is a long way with no obvious route up onto Meagaidh at the end of it.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hi Spin. Thanks for the info. Glad to know it wasn’t just me that didn’t follow.

Given that Meagaidh doesn’t look like the best option, are you aware of any good mtb Munros near Laggan?

Thanks

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden them but Creag Pitridh and the Geal Charn to its east would be pretty straightforward. It’s worth riding in and out to Coire Ardair as part of a longer day.

nstpaul

Thought I might as well add to this thread seeing as it’s popped up again.
    Geal Charn, Beinn Uldamain and A’Mharconaich from Balsporran Cottages south of Dalwhinnie on A9.

100% ridable surface LR track to Bealloch at Choire Fhar (dependant on fitness) then easy push/ ride up Geal Charn, don’t bother following the Walkhighlands route as I’ve ridden down their suggested up and it’s a rubbish descent through eroded peat for a large section so would not be an enjoyable carry up. Instead return same way as you ascended then a 200m or so easy push up path (possible to bypass first section of rocky steps on path by heading along track SW a bit if preferred then contouring up back to path) then onto ridge between Beinn Uldamain and A’Mharconaich. Once up looks more intimidating/ vertical than actually is to Beinn Uldamain, fast but not technical ride back down then up A’Mharconaich.
    You can return by your original route or take the unmarked walkers path down the ridge off the north end of A’Mharconaich . Head west from the summit and pick up the path or head north to rim of corrie to find some steep loose switchbacks. Probably 500m height loss of fast steep ridge riding then deteriorates into bit of eroded peat and bogs before drying out more towards the river crossing near Balsporran Cottages.

Meall Chuaich from just north of Dalwhinnie. A boring ride in from the A9, not interesting push up, bit of a boulder field to pass over to reach the summit then a pretty boring back down again. Only worth doing for the views or if you really have to take your bike up every Munro.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Reckon those 3 from drumochter would be ebikeable @nstpaul?

nstpaul

That’s how I did it so no pushing at all apart from the 200m up onto ridge between Beinn Uldamain and A’Mharconaich, even then some of that was ridden 😉

All the above applies for non- ebikes though 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cool.

I might start a ‘what Mountains for ebikes?’ thread, see if we can get past the haters! 😂

nstpaul

🙂

espressoal
    Free Member

I climbed the ‘back’ of Ben Lomand bout 30 years ago with a rigid Scott boulder on my back, and cycled down, did it early in the morning but still had to stop a few times for walkers coming up, walkers path for walkers was my thinking and felt a duty to make point of it.

It’s a cool thing to do but it worries me the ebikes make it too possible to access previously inaccessible places, and the conflict that could cause, I’m not the sort that expects others to get out of my way so it kills an epic downhill for me, I hope I’m not considered a hater, rather just considerate and hope I can still do these places in the future without signs saying no bikes.

nstpaul

^I think we should get back onto topic, there’s plenty of other existing threads to discuss / endorse / whinge about e-bikes and their usage should anyone wish to. Let’s leave this one to mountain routes for “MTB’s” whatever the flavour.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, agreed, there’s enough whining on STW as it is!.

After a 4 day camp in the Cairngorms, there’s a few I fancy trying. Beinn a bhuird for sure, probably tack Ben Avon onto that too.

Bynack more, going round the east side first and then up n over a’ choinneach, no path to speak of, but that lovely short, Rocky grass surface, ideal, up past barns of bynack then mibbe meall a buachaille on the way back.

Sanny
    Free Member

I rode six of the Drumochter Munros as a day ride. I really enjoyed them. Not technical in any way but just nice to be out in the mountains.

Beinn a Bhuird and Ben Avon are classics. I would recommend starting with the former as most of the climb is rideable. Across the top, down the loose scree to the sneck then a short carry up Ben Avon. I like to then head north east to take in the gradual descent past all the summit tors before returning via Loch Builg. A bigger day out but an absolute pearler of a ride.

Cheers

Sanny

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Sanny, can I just check…
    From Braemar up Glen Quoich then up the land rover track via Carn Allt na Beinne?
    Or Gleann an t Slugan and up Carn Fiaclach?

Then for the descent from Avon…. is that past Meall Gaineimh then pretty much to the Avon/Builg Burn confluence, then south down the LRT then past Loch Builg?

Any preference on the multiple LRTs/ trails from there back to Braemar?

Think I’ve found the answers on another thread….

Sanny, can I just check…
    From Braemar up Glen Quoich then up the land rover track via Carn Allt na Beinne?

Then for the descent from Avon…. is that past Meall Gaineimh then pretty much to the Avon/Builg Burn confluence, then south down the LRT then past Loch Builg?

Linn of Quoich is the easiest way up. The LRT is now a narrower footpath but is ace. Down to the sneck is steep and loose but doable. Easily walked down though. Rode it last Sept and the only difficulty is that part of the path from Linn of Quoich has gone but we got past it with no issues. Return via An Slugan. Loose and eroded at the top but then becomes a proper path further down. Alternatively, you can head north east via the Ben Avon tors. No real path but easy going on a clear day. The return is via the glen that goes by Loch Builg.

There are no paths beyond the munro summit but easy riding on grassy terrain where a bike would be no worse than boots IMO. The descent NE down to Linn of Avon/Inchrory is a peach and not too hard; return via Glen Gairn very ridable but hard work

Ossum. Thanks

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Oops bit of a mess of tags. Try again…

Sanny, can I just check…

Think I’ve found the answers on another thread….

Linn of Quoich is the easiest way up. The LRT is now a narrower footpath but is ace. Down to the sneck is steep and loose but doable. Easily walked down though. Rode it last Sept and the only difficulty is that part of the path from Linn of Quoich has gone but we got past it with no issues. Return via An Slugan. Loose and eroded at the top but then becomes a proper path further down. Alternatively, you can head north east via the Ben Avon tors. No real path but easy going on a clear day. The return is via the glen that goes by Loch Builg.

There are no paths beyond the munro summit but easy riding on grassy terrain where a bike would be no worse than boots IMO. The descent NE down to Linn of Avon/Inchrory is a peach and not too hard; return via Glen Gairn very ridable but hard work

Ossum. Thanks

Sanny
    Free Member

So you can add Carn an Righ and Beinn Uithan Mhor to the list.

I rode it yesterday via Glen Tilt with my mate Dave the Bastard. We enjoyed perfect conditions. Warm, sunny and dry. A light breeze up Glen Tilt to start kept us cool until we reached Felar Lodge. From there, we headed up an old Stalkers Path that clearly gets quad bike use that took us into the glen between the two mountains. Instead of heading to the Bealach, we cut north up onto the shoulder of Beinn Uithan Mhor. It was a tough old shift. A steep heather bash then gave way to a more pleasant levelling where we could ride for a bit before a push for the summit on short moorland growth which was fairly easy to traverse. The summit is a mix of exposed rock and vegetation so fairly easy to ride across and down. We didn’t do the subsidiary top although there is a really nice looking section of singletrack that skirts the edge that looks fun.

From there, we headed east down to the shoulder to join up with the singletrack that goes down to the Bealach. Somehow, we missed the start of it by going too high but eventually joined up.

The carry up onto Carn an Righ goes easily. It is a well defined track which gets rocky and vague towards the summit. The views from the top are spectacular as you look right up the Lairig Ghru which had a big cloud bank on the Aviemore side but was clear from our side. We had spotted what looked like a singletrack descent from the lower top down towards the Fealar Lodge track but knocked it on the head for fear of not finding it. Rather we descended back down our ascent path to join the track from the Bealach back. It was pretty clear at first but disappeared for longer sections back to where we cut off it originally. However, it was dry so getting through the long grass wasn’t a disaster as we had gravity on our side.

From Fealar lodge, we headed back down Glen Tilt. I had forgotten how nice the singletrack and scenery is up there. It was absolutely cracking riding in the early evening sunshine while we had a beezer of a tailwind for the fast spin down the glen.

As big days go, it was a lot of fun. Hard with some route finding issues but fun.

Next up I reckon are Tom Bhuide and Tolmount as a circuit from Glen Callater. They are easy to get to but somehow I have missed out on them. Any route tips appreciated. I was thinking of heading up Callater from the Braemar side then doing it as a clockwise loop. I’ve ridden all the other ones up there so would be good to finish them off.

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

The generalist

I should have responded to you sooner. Sorry!

From Loch Builg heading south, the easiest (in that still a really big climb sense) return is via the Land Rover track over the shoulder of Tom na h-Elrig.

A more rewarding route is to head east and follow the River Gairn track that drops you onto Gleann a t – Slugain. It is a peach and I will put a link in to show you some pics presently in an online article I did. If you are still fresh, you could then head down through the forest that Quoich Water follows through?

That would be a monster day but well worth the effort.

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Prostaholics Anonymous – 8 Guys Riding To Make A Difference

This has pictures of the connecting glen in it and is lovely.

chickenman

I would add that riding upstream up Glen Gairn is really hard work, doable but a real kick in the balls if you’ve been riding for hours.
    Tolmount and Tom Bhuide have very pleasant baggers paths down from Cairn of Claise.

marty
    Free Member

> a big cloud bank on the Aviemore side
    I can confirm that there was a big cloud bank on the Aviemore side. Popped out of it about 100m below the summit of Cairngorm with wee teases of Macdui and Braeriach in the distance. Glorious on Macdui and then back into the clouds

> Tom Bhuide and Tolmount
    Rode them last summer from the A93 (small car park at NO 147799) as a a/c foursome with Cairn of Claise and Carn an Tuirc. Not bad day out, but never really catches fire.

> a beezer of a tailwind for the fast spin down the glen.
    Does not compute. There’s always a headwind down GT and that river flows uphill…

kcal

@Sanny, that Quoich forest is simply one of the best trails I have ridden. It’s not fast, technical, but makes you slow down and appreciate the surroundings..

Sanny
    Free Member

It is an absolute cracker and I completely agree @kcal !

Has anyone ridden up Glen Ey to An Socach? Quite fancy it from that direction.

Also, Beinn a Chaorainn and Beinn Bhreac from Linn of Dee? I am at the stage of picking up some of the less appealing Munros so the fat bike is being broken out for the ones that look a bit lacking in tracks. A

Any tips appreciated!

Also, Bynack Mor descending via A Choineach down to Glen Avon? Does it go? I have a route that will take in Bynack Mor but was wondering about riding via the barns of Bynack then heading to Loch Avon thus cutting out the Lairig an Laogh to get to the river crossing. I rather fancy adding the latter as it

Sanny
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection time Batman!

Looking for some info.

An Gearanach stalkers path into Glen Nevis has the makings of being a classic judging by the research I have done and pics I have found on line. Has anyone done it? Thinking of doing it to finish off the Ring of Steall Munros.

Where are folk planning this year then?

Cheers

Sanny

Spin
    Free Member

It’s disappointing Sanny. Bits of it would be very good indeed but other bits are that classic Mamores deep trench that is impossible to ride and the bottom is basically a landslide. I’ve been up and down it a few times on foot and whilst I didn’t rule out riding it it didn’t scream at me.

Accessing it could also be awkward other than as an out and back, the ridge of an Garbhanach could be unpleasant carrying a bike.

Spin
    Free Member

Also, Bynack Mor descending via A Choineach down to Glen Avon? Does it go? I

Riding down the ridge to The Saddle would be nice then you’d have a k or 2 of boggy, rocky carry to the refuge.

poah
    Free Member

Where are folk planning this year then?

I’ll be happy if I can get one in the bag and get my eldest to conquer one. Need a fairly easy climb and decent but not just a fire road.

Sanny
    Free Member

@poah

Your best bet is probably going up Carn Ban Mor – 2 Munros with a fire road up and a path down. It is all rideable up or you can ride and push up the path you come down.

Glas Tulachan is a Land Rover track to the top.

Sanny
    Free Member

@poah

Mount Keen too as well as Ben Chonzie would go too.

poah
    Free Member

@sanny I’ve previously done Sgòr Gaoith & Mullach Clach a’ Bhlair on a ride so don’t fancy climbing Carn Ban Mor as it isn’t a munro. I’d probably do those two again with Lewis at some point though.

Mount Keen would probably be the better choice out of those as its new to me as well. I need an ebike lol

Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 31 posts - 601 through 631 (of 631 total)

The topic ‘Help needed to put the mountains into mountain biking – riding the Munros’ is closed to new replies.