Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Help needed to choose a new bike
  • clodhopper
    Free Member

Hi everyone; I’m new here. I’ve joined to try to get advice on a new bike. I’ve enjoyed mountain biking/MTBs fro years now, but find myself doing more gentle rides these days, as mountin biking is a bit more strenuous than it used to be! I stil enjoy it, but less frequently, and I don’t reallyt hink a fancy big full suspension bike is what I really need these days. Curently riding 2 hardtails and a road bike now and then. So I’m after a simpler bike which can do al sorts of riding, from very gentle paths to rugged wilderness type terrain. Not really for full-on off piste type terrain though. And something which can be used for touring and day/weekend trips, so with pannier provision.

Any advice welcomed.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ton to the forum.Paging Ton.

clodhopper
    Free Member

What does that mean?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ton has bought EVERY bike that may fit your requirements.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Oh I see. Who is Ton?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s more of a “what” than a “who”.

😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On a more serious note, reading this;

So I’m after a simpler bike which can do al sorts of riding, from very gentle paths to rugged wilderness type terrain. Not really for full-on off piste type terrain though. And something which can be used for touring and day/weekend trips, so with pannier provision.

Have you looked at the Giant Tough Road?

£899.
    Bargainous brilliance.

clodhopper
    Free Member

That is very much the type of bike I’m after, yes. Preferably something a little higher in spec though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Preferably something a little higher in spec though.

Feast thine eyes upon this, then…..

Yep, it’s a full on Tout Terrain Silk Road with a Pinion gearbox. Lovely, isn’t it?

clodhopper
    Free Member

Yes, very! Closer to the original style mountain bikes. Would prefer a more ‘conventional’ style drivetrain though. Or perhaps aRohloff system.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rohloff, you say?

OK then. Here you go.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Yes that’s definitely closer to what I would like. Any other options?

clodhopper
    Free Member

Hmm. Post a thread about a bike, hardly a nibble. Post one about Macs v PCs, and it’s like feeding tme in the shark pool.

Anyone actually interested in bikes on here? Some thoughts/experiences would be nice actually.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Does ANYONE actually ride bikes on here then? 😆

qwerty
    Free Member

https://robin-mather.squarespace.com/adventure-tourer-1/

Bikes make pretty good transport. They are even better if you can carry stuff easily and not get covered in muck if the roads are wet. If you buy a frame from me with provision for fitting a rack and mudguards I will charge you £50 less than for an equivalent frame without. I realise that they might not be used until the frame gets relegated to winter hack duty in 10 years time. I won’t try to bully you into it. I cannot force you to leave your car at home but maybe I can make it a bit more likely.

cinnamon_girl

I guess you’ve seen the Tripster thread? Have you looked at Genesis, do a search for a user called peterpoddy who’s reported on his for touring duties.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Qwerty, I was at university with Rob, and remember him building his first frame back then. It was tiny! 🙂

Some thoughts/experiences would be nice actually.

My apologies for suggesting suitbale things earlier…..

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these;

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/trail/tarn-20

Or if you want with ridged forks;

It’s a really good fun bike, haven’t touched my full susser since I’ve had it,

clodhopper
    Free Member

“My apologies for suggesting suitbale things earlier…..”

No I am sorry; you were very helpful and I really do appreciate your input. I just find it a bit odd that on a biking forum, the most popular threads are about completely different things, like music, rugby, politics and just a few are about bikes. 😆

“I guess you’ve seen the Tripster thread?”

I have now! 😯 Might need a few days to digest it all though!

That Mather looks really nice; is it yours Qwerty? The Genesis bikes are nice, but maybe a bit on the heavy side. The Tour De Fer looks good; more of a ‘hybrid’ style but versatile.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Some thoughts/experiences would be nice actually.

Are you friends with Bartyp by any chance?

qwerty
    Free Member

No, it’s not mine. I’ve been perusing custom builders and that struck a cord with your requirements. If you do consider a custom build get yourself over to Bespoked, the UK Handmade Bicycle Show, mid April, in Bristol, it’ll have plenty to wet your appetite.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Are you friends with Bartyp by any chance?”

❓ Don’t understand that.

Qwerty, thanks. Might try to get to Bristol for that. Not sure about a custom build as it could push the price up a lot. But maybe like me, you’ve not been having much luck in bike shops? I’ve been steered towards CX bikes, but that’s not really what I want. CaptanFlasheart’s suggestions are probably closest in style to what I’m after. I suppose £1500-2000 is my realistic budget. Maybe a little more fora custom build.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I have something along these lines in mind; like the first MTBs, simple and versatile.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I should have started a thread about buying a new car or computer; might get more responses. 🙄

Maybe a Monday morning bump could kick it into life. 🙂

Ben_H

How about a Ritchey Ascent?

Ben_H

Also, the Marin Muirwoods looks suitable – albeit a bit of a low spec (£525).

clodhopper
    Free Member

Great suggestions Ben H. That Ritchey Ascent looks spot-on, except for the ridiculous prise! That’s into custom frame territory. I wouldn’t pay nearly a grand for an off the peg steel frame. The Muirwoods looks excellent, although I’d be buying it pretty much just for the frame, which then makes it quite expensive. But definitely the right kind of bikes.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Help needed to choose a new bike’ is closed to new replies.