• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by ttf.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help needed on MTB upgrades
  • jswain90
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if a few people could give me advise on some decent upgrades for my Mountain Bike. I have a Giant XTC 4.5 which I bought as a decent entry level Bike to get me interested in Mountain Biking and as a good basis to upgrade if I wanted, now that I am Biking regularly I feel the bike is holding me back a little bit and would like to upgrade some components and save some weight as it weighs 29Lbs.

I will probably be buying second hand parts so any part recommendations would be great. I was thinking that the wheelset and cranks seem to be the biggest let down on the bike – if I change these will I save much weight and notice any difference on the trails.

These are the major components on the Bike.

Giant XTC 4.5
    Rock Shox Reba forks with Poploc
    Shimano XT Front and rear brakes
    XT Rear Mech
    Shimano Deore Front Mech
    Alex DP17 Rims with Kenda Tyres.
    Carbon Riser Bars
    Shimano Deore 27 speed rapidfire shifters
    TruVativ ISOFlow 3.0 22/32/44 Chainset

Suggestions please..

Thanks

James

steveh

I’d pretty much agree with what you’ve suggested as the rest of the spec seems pretty good. It’s also worth considering saddle, seatpost and stem for swaps as well, especially saddle and post.

Hard to say how much you’ll save but wheels will make the biggest difference so start there.

jswain90
    Free Member

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advise – what components would you recommend? I seem to see good right ups on MAvic 717’s but would need a complete wheelset!

Also I was thinking Shimano XT Hollowtech Cranks?

Would these be good upgrades?
    Tell me what am I gaining on upgrading the seatpost and saddle is it just a weight saving?

Thanks.

James

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I would start by swapping the wheels for £200 or thereabouts you should be able to lose a pound

Tyres get some folding bead tyres there lighter

Chainset the Truvativ one is pretty basic and heavy. Shimano SLX are getting very good reviews but if you can afford it go for the Shimano XT light and stiff

The above will cost you about £350 brand new but e-bay should get you 2nd hand wheels and chainset for a good bit less

jswain90
    Free Member

Thats great advise guys, I have been looking at upgrading my bottom bracket too as I feel a clicking when pressure is applied to the cranks / pedals. Will a new set of cranks come with a new bottom bracket too?

I have been looking at buying an SKF BXC 300 which gets good reviews from some of the guys at work for longevity and spec.

ttf
    Free Member

Yes – new cranks come with BB’s… Shimano HollowtechII BB’s are amongst the best. As said, look at shimano SLX cranks – cheaper than XT and you’ll struggle to notice much difference apart from SLX being slightly heavier.
    Wheels and tyres however, are where i would spend most of your budget as this is what you’ll notice more than anything else. Depending on your weight/riding style either go with some hope hoops (dt swiss 4.2 or 5.1 rim with hope pro II hubs) OR something like Stans olympic rims built on to hope pro III hubs… more money but much lighter. With tyres check out the bontrager range… Dry X tyres are very good and nice and light.
    As said, again, swap the saddle for a new bontrager RL inform or Selle Italia SLR for a massive chunk of weight off your bike.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help needed on MTB upgrades’ is closed to new replies.