Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help needed as I am lost in a world of MacBook projector cable converters
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

I have a 2009 MacBook pro, and I was thinking that I need one of those converters to plug in a PC cable for when I connect it to a projector.

The thing is, this will be for projectors of business clients, and I do not know in advance what type of projector they will have.

I have found various adaptors on Amazon by Neet, and I have had two emails from them but am still confused.

If I was to buy just one adaptor that would cover most projectors, is there such a thing?
    If I were to buy adaptors to cover all projectors, how many would I need? It seems that there is an issue with analogue projectors, but I do not know if I need more than just a simple cable adaptor.

If anyone can help, it would greatly appreciated!

Cheers

CaptJon
    Free Member

While most new monitors have dropped VGA connectors in favour of HDMI and DVI, projector manufacturers have been slower on the uptake so the majority i come across (universities and academic conferences) are still VGA.

simon_g

I have yet to come across a projector anywhere that didn't accept VGA. Plenty of newer business laptops (including mine) only offer VGA outputs so I can't see that changing any time soon.

I have a DVI one as well that I just leave attached to the monitor cable at home, VGA one can stay in my bag.

STATO
    Free Member

Most laptops dont have anything other than VGA output anyway so if they have a pojector that uses other than VGA or HDMI tell them to take a running jump.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I have yet to come across a projector anywhere that didn't accept VGA

+1. I've done presentations using projectors, and a cable that allows connection to a standard 15-pin VGA input is probably all you'll need. Good to find out beforehand where you'll be working, what exactly they have, but I've found that dealing with technically illiterate people by 'phone isn't always that helpful… 🙁

simonralli2
    Free Member
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pretty much. I can't imagine a projector with HDMI not having a DVI interface. Those two should sort you out fine. I'd say it's the responsibility of the people running the places you'll be giving presentations to ensure their projectors will work with people's laptops etc, but some places have loads of fancy kit but forget the essentials. One place I recently worked at, thousands of pounds worth of projectors, lovely screens- forgot to buy a long VGA cable. Din't think that the 1m job supplied might not be quite long enough to reach the table 3m below the projector… 🙄

Oh and they'd also overlooked a decent length audio cable to use the nice surround sound system the had, either. Numpties.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help needed as I am lost in a world of MacBook projector cable converters’ is closed to new replies.