Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Help needed about selling my bike scam or not??
  • stennah
    Free Member

Hi thanks for reading this i have a bike on pinkbike and a buyer wants it he lives way up north I’m in Nottingham he has a friend who can collect the bike as he’s travelling up north from the south coast Notts BUT he won’t pay until his friend has checked the bike then he will wire the money through, I’ve asked for cash on collection but his friend won’t carry that much money with him?? Any other way of making this deal happen I want rid of my Corsair Maelstrom and I’m willing to take the £550, can anyone help? Thanks

cloudnine
    Free Member

Its only £550 cash.. If he wants the bike get him to sort out getting the cash to his mate. Who wires people money?

duckman

Scam x 1000 Mate leaves with bike..Mate leaves with bike. Seriously,avoid. Who thinks £550 is too much money to carry on occasion now? You are desperate to sell so are ignoring the obvious.

bruneep

Cash is king.

The buyer can send wire the money to friend. If all is well go to a bank and said friend can withdraw cash.

No cash no bike. £500 is not a lot of cash to carry now.

Has scam written all over it.

Bregante

I’d agree with cloudnine. If it was 5k maybe but even then I’d be doing it by bank transfer and going into a branch to confirm if was in my account before handing the goods over but for £550 i’d insist on cash.

andy4d

Yep. Why can’t he wire the cash to the mate……

stennah
    Free Member

Cheers everyone think you’re right duckman need to keep thinking cash only, once again many thanks

davewalsh
    Free Member

So his mate won’t carry £550 cash but will carry £550 worth of bike ?????

stennah
    Free Member

I like it davewalsh I might use that one when he tries to email me again

Goldigger
    Free Member

If he does come to check it, you wouldn’t hand the bike over without seeing the money in your account would you?
    Make his friend wait until the money is in your account..

In the likely scenario it doesn’t appear in your account, have your mates hiding upstairs.
    Tie the guy to a chair in the basement and teach those bike theif a lesson..
    Don’t forget to upload the video onto YouTube, for the rest of the world to see.. but use the guys mobile to film/upload it all…

stennah
    Free Member

Goldigger I like it I like it a lot but that helpless thing we have think it’s called the police I’ve seen the odd one but not sure they exist will not be very happy with me and after all that I still haven’t sold the damn bike!! 😆

Goldigger
    Free Member

You have the guy tied to a chair…
    Ransome money lol

Let’s say it did go sour at your house, whos going to notify the police? I sure don’t think if these two half wits are thief’s they are going too..

Have your mates around and you have the upper hand I’d say…
    He either buys the bike or leaves with his tail between his legs…

bigmandh
    Free Member

Wiring the money is a perfectly usual wasy of doing this,especially if someone else is collecting it for the buyer. The bank transfer system works instantly now meaning it’s a lot safer for buyer and seller. It’s how I have bought and sold cars before. The fact his mate is collecting it is neither here nor there, it could be him,could be his mate. In terms of a scam it wouldn’t make any odds who it is. As with anything be careful and vigilant and don’t let the bike go till you have the cash or funds clear in your account. This is the same with anything you sell online that the person collects. I’d say if I were going to scam or nick a bike I’d probably make it worthwhile and go for one of higher value. Need to be careful of someone using the opportunity to see what else you’ve got in your garage as well. There’s too many possibilities but don’t discount every potential buyer otherwise we’d never get anything sold! (Maybe that’s the best excuse when it comes to parting with an old bike!). Need to use your best judgement,sound the guy out on the phone,check his online presence if you can get his name etc

Tell the buyer you are up north next week by an amazing coincidence, and can drop by with bike and collect cash.
    See what answer you get then…

bruneep

Bet this “wire” of funds will involve western union or paypal and not a bank transfer.

Goldigger
    Free Member

When and if the guy turns up, get his reg and use your mobile to take some sneaky pics of him… At least then you got some evidence to shop him in if it does go wrong..

Personally I’d expect someone to come and look at what I’m selling and either pay cash on the spot or money transfer to my bank account.
    Once I see the funds in my account then he can leave with the bike..

Confirm with the guy what he means by wire..
    Bank transfer is the only method I’d except as its instant..

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve sold a bike and recieved payment using Barclays pingit.
    https://www.barclays.mobi/BarclaysPingit/MP1242629610109

No fuss the money goes straight into your bank account.

globalti
    Free Member

We’ve bought two bikes by going along to test-ride then using the seller’s wifi to go into or bank account and transfer funds to their account.

But sending a friend always sounds dodgy. I would tell the buyer you are not some kind of mugu (Yoruba for idiot).

jamiemcf

I bought a camera lens from some guy outside a pub and used the bank of scotland mobile banking to pay him. I pre arranged meeting him, tried the lens out, paid using my phone. He checked his bank account then I left with the lens. He even offered to buy me a pint.

Provided you can confirm you have the money credited to your account I seen no problem with it.

Davesport

His mate can check the bike as much as he likes. It doesn’t leave until you have cleared funds.

leffeboy

Does the problem not come where people use PayPal then claim to PayPal that they never received it? How about a photo of said pal being sent to recipient that they verify first. Pita though. I would imagine that direct to bank would be best

lightman
    Free Member

It could be a scam, or maybe not.

Would you go to a strangers house with that much money hoping that (they actually live there and aren’t just waiting outside a strangers house!) they do have something for sale and that they’re not just going to rob you?

There was a program on TV a while ago about scammers selling dodgy cars outside addresses that they didn’t live at, so when the buyers went back to the address for their money back, nobody at that address knew what they were talking about.

A guy came all the way from Newcastle to Edinburgh to buy my bike, he didn’t have the money on him “just in case”, and he had to go out to his car and get it when he decided he wanted to buy the bike and I wasn’t going to rob him!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Nope, I wouldn’t do this with a random stranger. Different if it’s someone you trust or have an ongoing relationship with. 500 quid is a pretty trivial amount of cash to carry temporarily. AIUI “cleared funds” isn’t always as clear cut as it sounds.

stennah
    Free Member

Thanks everyone I’m overwhelmed with the response I’m still not 100% sure about it so will stick to cash on collection

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Help needed about selling my bike scam or not??’ is closed to new replies.