Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help – need to buy a new car in a hurry
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

Don’t even know where to begin!

Thanks to some delightful people attacking my poor defenseless skoda with a concrete fence post whilst I was away, I now have to find a replacement.

I’ve always gone for cheap cars that mainly gather dust as I commute on my bike.

But now I need to consider my role has changed and I need to travel for work.

Do I spend 6k on a second hand diesel estate or go for some pcp type arrangement

What would STW do???

bearnecessities

Doubt folk here would have an opinion.

scotroutes

Fancy a Maserati?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Personally if I wanted something simple and basic,, and not new and flashy, I’d spend 6k on a diesel VW Group car and drive it until it fell to bits.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I’d go 2nd hand diesel estate, I don’t like the idea of the PCP agreements.
    Buy the car you own it end of.

falkirk-mark

Given that your last car was vandalised i would go down the shitheap route.

alexpalacefan

Deffo buy used. If you have cash, great. If not, rates are low at the moment, borrow from the bank.

I’d set my budget and see what was on ebay/Autotrader within a reasonable distance.

I’d be looking at Japanese, petrol, 5-10 years old, FSH.

I’d go for a hatch, more useable, but an old man one, not a hot hatch which could have been razzed by de yoot.

If you can find a one owner car great, go and meet them.

Good luck,

APF

jambalaya
    Free Member

Insurance Co may provide you with a loaner, will take the pressure off as never good to be in a rush. I’d go used and shop around. Happy shopping

theotherjonv

If you do go down the lease / PCP route (and i know it’s not for all), there’s a thread on Pistonheads that highlights all the latest good deals.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1547940&i=5140

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Second-hand milk float, for the easy sprint to get behind the wheel. 😉

Cougar

Buy a 300 quid banger. Then you still need to buy a new car, just not in a hurry.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I need something more than a hatch as i have two kids living at home and two others that appear on a fairly regular basis with other halves. we need space for bikes and camping paraphenalia.

as for a £300 i’m not sure id be able to rely on it to do the driving required for my new role. basically i can be anywhere on the east of the country atm

As for the vandalised bit – i think it was a freak occurrence and am trying to over come the aversion i have of ever owning something again….the police asked if someone had a vendetta against me due to the amount of damage my poor car sustained. i pointed out that if someone who knew me wanted to get at me they would have gone for my bikes not my cheap old skoda

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help – need to buy a new car in a hurry’ is closed to new replies.