Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help – need a Hope Hoop expert
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi, Ive just spent longer than is necessary getting my brain frazzled on the internet and have reached the stage where I just need someone to tell me the answer. Please 🙂

I have a set of Hope Hoops from 2009 and want to swap the bearings myself

The problem is Im not sure exactly what it is Ive got, and the sizes are all different

The hubs are branded “Hope Hoops” and I think they are a Pro 2 but Im not 100%
    The reasons for this are some weird sixth sense, and the fact they have the press fit conversion from QR to 20mm which I dont think the others need

My confusion isnt helped by the fact that there are also different versions of the Pro 2 and Pro 2 EVO which take different sized bearings

Aaaaargh

And if anyone can tell me if the Hope 2 hub tool kit, drifts and seatings things, is specific to the regular or EVO or does them all then Id be very happy too

Thanks 🙂

iamsporticus
    Free Member

^^^^^ yes I get that and spent hours on Hopetech, but it still doesnt help me decide which I have as they look so similar, yet have different bearings

Any clues how to tell?

Thanks

endurokid
    Free Member

I believe that the older Pro II and Pro II Evo have different bearing diameters, I was going to upgrade my standard Pro II freehub to an Evo version but decided against it as is as I needed all new bearings and a new axle.

If you go on the Hope website and select the Pro II hub from the list it should give you the correct bearing codes to order.

Have a look at my recent thread brow, someone kindly posted a diagram of a standard Pro II Rear hub, this will give you all the bearing codes you need.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hope-freehub-confirm-what-i-already-know

BadlyWiredDog

Knock the bearing out, see what size it is. Alternativelty, my Hope Pro 2 Evo has an ‘Evo’ logo on the hub body in white lettering.

Like this:

iamsporticus
    Free Member

OK thanks again

The problem is that it just has “Hope Hoop” stamped on the hub body which is why Im clueless

Am now thinking the best option is to knock out the bearing and see the codes which Ive been avoiding doing as that would put the bike out of action till I can get the new bearings delivered and the necessary tools

What I want to do is buy the stuff then strip and fit to minimise the time is off the road/trails

Cheers

endurokid
    Free Member

Post a picture of the hub, might help someone identify it.

Simon

I’m pretty sure if they’re from 2009 they’ll be Pro2 hubs not Evo.

andycs

I ordered pivot bearings from Online Bearings. They delivered next day, so bike shouldn’t be out of service for long.

swanny853

Is it set up for qr? Or anything else other than a 12mm thru axle?

If so, pull the end cap off. Measure the size of the holein the midle of the axle. If it’s 12mm, congratulations, you have an evo. If not, oh well, you have a standard pro 2. Pretty sure that all pro 2s take the same bearings and all evos take the same bearings. Not sure if this covers single speed and downhill models.

dirtydog
    Free Member

What Simon says

Don’t think they where making Evo hubs in 2009 will be Pro 11.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it’s a hope hoop with I bend spokes then it’s either a pro ii or a pro ii evo. They don’t engrave the hub model on the ones they use for the hoops.

The front uses the same bearings (size wise anyway. Only difference is stainless or standard).
    Rear hub is where the difference is. Pull the end caps off and measure the bore. If it’s 12mm all the way through, it’s evo but going by the age, I’d say yours are just the pro ii.

chiefgrooveguru

The Pro 2 Evo came out in late 2010 or early 2011, so they can’t be them (I was buying new wheels at that time and a lot of shops were selling off the non Evo versions).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help – need a Hope Hoop expert’ is closed to new replies.