Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help near Haldon please!
  • riklegge

I’m popping down to the in-laws near Exeter for a flying visit this weekend. It looks like I will have around 2-2.5hours spare on Saturday morning (probably from around 9am approx.) to go for a ride. I will need to drop my wife in Exeter and collect again afterwards, so it can’t be too far away.

I was planning to go to Haldon, I have heard there are some good quality “off-piste” areas to ride, however I don’t know the local etiquette (or indeed where the trails are) so was hoping someone might be able and willing to act as a guide? I’m not looking for anything too hardcore, but I enjoy good quality, fun, fairly technical descents.

I’ll be en route for several hours so may not be able to reply back on here until much later tonight.

Thanks in advance!

ajantom

Afraid I’m probably not out this weekend – but this might help with some route-finding Heatmap of Haldon
    Otherwise ride around the red and blue and look for side trails.

riklegge

Thanks.

sammaratti
    Free Member

The red and the blue are fun, nothing too technical though, but if you ride it fast enough there’s smiles to be had.

I would be interested in some off piste stuff so will watch this thread.

amedias
    Free Member

I’m un available this Saturday too I’m afraid, I’m sure somebody will be about though!

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Was there a couple of hours ago. Part of the blue and some of the cheeky stuff is closed off as a result of tree felling….

deadkenny
    Free Member

I spent a day exploring a few years back and pretty much found most of the good off piste. Though I seem to be reasonable at spotting potential cheeky trails and knowing where I am. Plus have the patience to go down stuff to see where it goes and backtrack when it doesn’t. Can only really do it when I’m on my own though.

Couple of hours though, red is 30-45mins, add blue and can do both in 1 to 1.5hr I guess. Though do the blue outside peak hours else you’ll be stuck behind families. Bits of off piste is off the blue, just keep an eye out for trails crossing over. Really you want to swing up the hill to find the start of some of them.

riklegge

Thanks for all the info, I’ll explore around and see what I can find.

enigmas
    Free Member

You can find most of the good off piste by riding the blue route and pushing up the trails that cross it.

They’re mainly in 2 sections, the first after the main swoopy descent and the second after the long straight fireroad.

Not sure how the forestry work has affected them as I haven’t been over in a while.

riklegge

Well, I had a cracking time. Found some of the off piste stuff, enjoyed a bacon butty and then a quick lap of the red. Thanks for all the help!

sammaratti
    Free Member

Would you mind sharing your findings please?

riklegge

As others have said, if you follow the blue you can see various trails off the main one. Quite early on (on a gentle but of downhill through trees) there’s a steeper track heading downhill. Its much rootier and steeper than the main trail, more fun! It goes down through a couple of corners and eventually pops out at a fire road. Turn right and eventually it will bring you round in a loop back on blue. Also, a bit further on while climbing up, the blue trail is crossed by another obvious trail. I pushed up this to the top to ride all of it.

There looked to be loads of extra trails, unfortunately I ran out of time to explore all the ones off the red route.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help near Haldon please!’ is closed to new replies.