Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • help! mystery part name.. and where to find!
  • texas
    Free Member

Hello! Off to the alps soon… and my mate who had converted to road riding has just dug his kona out, and rode it to work to test its working… the left crank arm fell off. Three times. He had previously had the bottom braket replaced as he had destroyed it. The new bottom braket appears wider so that the left crank arm does bot fit completely on the end of the bottom bracket axle. I think he needs to get a longer bottom bracketer axle. But not sure what it is called to even look it up!
    Its the posher outer bearing type of hub found on all bar the cheapest mountain bikes.

Bottom brackets are new to me!

paul_m

Would be worth checking he has the correct spacers in correct place for the width of BB shell he has – if there are too many spacers then the crank arm will not fit on fully.

texas
    Free Member

I will look later… cheers! Can you get longer axles?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    raisinhat
    Free Member

If it has outboard bearings, then it sounds like it’s been spaced incorrectly. Measure the width of the bottom bracket shell on the frame, and then look up the correct spacing for it. Also, if the crank arms have fallen off several times, then you’ll need to check for wear on either the crank axle or inside the left crank when it tightens on. From the sound of it, he’ll have a set of cranks where the axle is one size only.

m1kea
    Free Member

A photo of the kit would answer this in no time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘help! mystery part name.. and where to find!’ is closed to new replies.