Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • HELP: My wife thinks WiFi is harming our baby
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

your wifes delusions are caused by the same reason well respected academics like Peter Duesberg fall for crazy theories like aids denialism, they have been right all their lives and can no longer look at issues objectively.

Cougar

They now are only homeschooling, home birthed (1 hour from a hospital) don’t use SOAP!!, only drink purified water out of glass bottles or mainly drink from springs, ant vac, breastfeeding when the kid is 4, don’t own a TV, still sleep with the kid, forage for food etc. Its a bizarre thing to see and they have become really separate from our group of friends but they (seem) happy…

First time that kid goes out in public it’ll be hospitalised.

BigJohn

There really are almost no women left on this forum, are there ?

Maybe that’s because they’ve turned off their wi-fi.

GrahamS

they have been right all their lives and can no longer look at issues objectively.

Ah, I see you’ve met my father-in-law 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

Trying my best, hels!

Different things scare different people. We all grasp onto certain things to worry about when thinking of our loved ones. I don’t have children but do have a goddaughter and would do anything to keep her safe. However, my definition of safe and that of her mothers are different – she would worry about her falling over and generally doing active things. I worry about her *not* doing those things…

There doesn’t have to be sense behind the wifi thing. It’s not about that.

Rachel

Del

at the risk of offending one of the remaining few…
    phew! it’s a good thing you’re here! 😉

BoardinBob

Jack Nicholson’s character in As Good As It Gets sums this situation up perfectly…

Receptionist: How do you write women so well?

Melvin Udall: I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability.

GrahamS

Aaaaaaaaaand.. there goes the last of them…

wwaswas

at the risk of offending one of the remaining few…
    phew! it’s a good thing you’re here!

+1

Aaaaaaaaaand.. there goes the last of them..

quite.

NewRetroTom
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Aaaaaaaaaand.. there goes the last of them..

*relaxes beer belly, spreads legs and chucks copy of fiesta on the coffee table*

bigyinn
    Free Member

Have you tried turning your wife off and then back on again? Might help reset the logic board.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Have you tried turning your wife off and then back on again?

If he hadn’t turned her on in the first place, they wouldn’t be in this mess.

mudshark
    Free Member

Men are like carpets apparently.

Sam

I’d be seeing this as the perfect opportunity to move somewhere there is no wifi and the riding is great. Remote cottage in the highlands perhaps?

andyfla
    Free Member

MrsFla is a consultant Paediatrician and I am sure would be more than happy to have a chat to MrsSuperficial if you want ?

Email in profile

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Thank you, you’ve just reinforced my theory that doctors have absolutely no common sense 😉

CountZero

I don’t mean to sound flippant here but where is she doing her research, the Internet?

More likely the Daily Mail health pages, they’re full of exactly this kind of bullshit!

perchypanther – Member
    Have you tried turning your wife off and then back on again?
    If he hadn’t turned her on in the first place, they wouldn’t be in this mess.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

You’re not married to Cinnamon_Girl are you?
    Didn’t she share some batshit™ Mental similar views on WIFI? 😳

kcr
    Free Member

Jack Nicholson’s character in As Good As It Gets sums this situation up perfectly…

Receptionist: How do you write women so well?
    Melvin Udall: I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability.

[/quote]

That’s Melvin Udall, the “misanthropic, racist, obsessive-compulsive novelist” who “alienates almost everyone he interacts with” (Wikipedia)?

ransos
    Free Member

There really are almost no women left on this
    forum, are there ?

Not surprising, is it?

aracer
    Free Member

What’s his username?

thebunk

Vaguely remember one of our friends made my wife worry about this – I remember it being quite stressful too, so I feel for you. I think I sent her some links to proper studies etc, that she read in her own time. It was ages ago so I can’t remember where I found them, but I should imagine http://skeptics.stackexchange.com would be a good place to start.

In the meantime, take it easy – she’ll be knackered and stressed, and her hormones are triggering off loads of protective instincts. You’re probably knackered too, and trying to control something simple.

If you’ve got a cool router then it should be possible to set it to turn off sometimes so maybe program it to not be on overnight etc till she reads the studies.

Hang in there, it gets easier 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Remember, when a woman tells you she’s worried about something, she doesnt want you to fix the problem, just listen to her about the problem.

BoardinBob

That’s Melvin Udall, the “misanthropic, racist, obsessive-compulsive novelist” who “alienates almost everyone he interacts with” (Wikipedia)?

and homophobic

andyfla
    Free Member

and homophobic

I always assume the most homophobic people are gay themselves and react so badly to them as they want to prove they aren’t gay

philjunior
    Free Member

I can’t hugely help with a productive answer, but this:

I know it’s a cliche, but… us blokes (at least most of us on here) want to be all rational and analytical about stuff like this. That’s not going to help here, as your wife isn’t interested in analytical explanations. About the best idea I can come up with is that she might take the advice of an authority figure she trusts – is there any such person you could get to talk to her who would explain that it’s all OK, that it’s reasonable and normal to be worried about such things, but that her concerns are unfounded?

To the power of a million – it’s not a cliche when (in this case) you can see it really is her emotions over-ruling her logical mind. It happens to all of us, and I have had many arguments with my wife, the most spectacular and quick escalating have come down to this and kids. If I ask my male friends with kids, they will agree with me. Female friends with kids, they’ll think I’m a monster and agree with her.

I’m not sure how you get around it, but just accept you’ll have to work around her emotions on this matter and show her that you care about them, rather than trying to argue logically which should (but won’t) work. If I thought it did I would suggest pointing out that visible light is EM radiation of far higher intensity than radio waves. All the harmful bands – UV, X rays, Gamma rays, are higher frequency (higher energy per photon) than visible light. But say radiation and it sounds all Chernobyl.

Good luck OP.

BigJohn

There’s a saying: You can’t prove a negative. And that’s maybe what the OP is trying to do.

But if the person in question was persuaded to make a properly documented proof that Wi-fi is harmful…

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m not sure how you get around it, but just accept you’ll have to work around her emotions on this matter and show her that you care about them, rather than trying to argue logically which should (but won’t) work.

Yeah, I think that’s basically right.

Anyway, she bumped into a GP today who seemed to say some reassuring things and she’s now making a bit more sense on a few things. Fingers crossed this is the path to recovery.

As an aside: The corded phones are hilariously retro. So I called the landline and when she answered I said “Hello, this is the 1990s, can we have our phone back?” Tumbleweed. Weird, huh?

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘HELP: My wife thinks WiFi is harming our baby’ is closed to new replies.