Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Help my son out with a shocking problem please!
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

He’s got a 2008 Stumpjumper with a 120mm Spesh shock, (no markings to give an idea of which one) It’s knackered, even Bike Scene can’t fix it (no parts available)
    A new shock is £220 from CRC but I’m hoping someone on here can come up with a suitable 2nd hand one maybe. Not sure of the dimensions at the moment either.
    The only alternative is to buy a new bike but he’s skintrupt.
    Hope someone can help/advise!

scotroutes

What dimensions are the shock off CRC that costs £220?

According to bikepedia it’s a “Fox Triad custom for FSR, 120mm travel”. Some sort of RP23 will likely match.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said you need to know

eye to it – or the length of the chock
    You then need to know the length of the travel

Eg
    190 mm long
    51 mm travel/stroke length

I think thats an Orange 5 measure FWIW

Klunk
    Free Member

what ever it is It’ll be a custom length with a custom travel, good luck finding out as it looks like spesh have given up providing support for older models (the link to the manual for 2008 comp model was broken for me).

some other threads suggest it’s 7.25×1.75(184×44) and fox made a rp23 in that size in 2010 whether they still do.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers fellas, I think he’s following this now. Might be an idea if he gave Mojo a call?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere before that the best replacement is a 190mm i2i shock … anyway CRC have ex-demo RP2 190 i2i 55 stroke for £150, or ebay will have a few this size.

falkirk-mark

I am pretty sure that the problem is with the 3 way swing on these and Mojo can do away with this and leave it on pro pedal. This is what I ride with all the time anyway. Dunno if that is helpful for you.

zer0c00l44
    Free Member

I dont know the exact model your son has but the Specialized Stumpjumper Comp/elite 2008 shock length is 7.250 x 1.750 (184 x 44)

Shaft hardware kit serial number – 803-03-130 Fox shock

Body hardware kit serial number – 803-00-119 Fox shock

should be able to find one on ebay I suppose.

northshoreniall

Try spec UK? My 2007 stumpy fsr brain shock died last year and was as cheap to get new one off shelf than sort it – so they may have some lying about?

teethgrinder

Bin it and go 190x50mm. My old FSR came this way. I then went 200x57mm with offset bushes. Worked fine and loads moar travel.

khani
    Free Member
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Some good stuff been suggested & he’s very grateful, Cheers chaps.

skink2020

I have an old manitou 3 way somewhere. Came off a 2006 orange 5. If I can find it(I’ll check tomorrow ) if he wants it he can have it FOC.

benpinnick

I went 190 * 50 on my last Stumpy (of that era). Worked great.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I have a 200 x 50 x fusion r2 he can have if he wants . might not fit but good to keep the young shredders shredding

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Skink & Howsyourdad… you are true gents!

He’s 28 though so not so young. Still skint like me though. 😥

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

6 years younger than me so I guess it counts !

gonzy
    Free Member
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers Gonzy, I’ll pass that on to him!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Help my son out with a shocking problem please!’ is closed to new replies.